• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
So its not possible to misinterpret a show? Thats new to me.

Exactly. If you end up with a different interpretation that is equally in line with the facts, then of course that is fine. If you end up with a different interpretation because you are ignoring or for some reason just happened to miss the facts (maybe distracted from the subtitles, maybe the subtitles were wrong or worded poorly, etc), then your interpretation can certainly be wrong. Misinterpreting something isn't a big deal. It happens. Lets not pretend that such a thing is absolutely impossible and use that as a defense.

There were a couple of great examples of interpreting something wrongly in the Psycho Pass 2 streaming reviews, spoiler[one being the interpretation that organs from clear people were being implanted to make others clear]. By great examples, I just mean that the show clearly points out that the interpretations were wrong because they were related to a major plot point where as something like this train groping event is unlikely to be specifically revisited.

There is nothing wrong with missing something the first time. It happens. However, when that happens, you should revise your interpretation to take into consideration the things that were missed rather than sticking to it and pretending that if you missed something, it isn't there.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Rokka-I really liked the setting as it's nice to have something different than Medieval Europe or Japan. I'm assuming that spoiler[the demon lord gave Adlet a symbol judging by the red mist that went into his cell ]. I'll stick around to see where this goes.

Charlotte-I honestly wasn't going to watch this, but I figured why not since I was already on Crunchyroll. It seems like it has potential, and I'm surprised that I didn't outright hate Yu. I have a distinct dislike of him though. I'll see where this goes.

Gate-This could turn into something really enjoyable. I really don't have anything else to say about it though.

Aoharu x Machinegun-Out of the shows I've watched so far this season, I enjoyed this one the most. I laughed at most of the humor and like Hotaru as a character. Guns aren't my thing, but I definitely want to see where this goes.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Gangsta.

I definitely was not impressed with this show. Maybe the best thing I could say about it is that the concept is pretty enjoyable - i.e. two slick criminals for hire who work for the good guys (or at least that's the assumption). It's certainly not a new idea, as we've had many different media that has criminals working for the good guys, but it is a concept that pretty much always has appeal since it allows us a special type of escapism where it is acceptable to be a criminal/mobster or gun/sword for hire. It's a normally taboo lifestyle that people fantasize about experiencing for themselves, so when the criminals are good guys, we can feel okay about identifying with them.

However, beyond the concept, things start to go downhill a little. The main two characters are not bad, but they aren't that great either. They seem like almost complete archetypes. Sword guy who is like some kind of ninja/silent samurai, and gun guy who smokes, has an eyepatch, and is very crude and unapologetic. I didn't get a sense of them as people beyond those archetypes. Sure, the fact that the swordsman is deaf does add a slightly different dimension, but his deafness wasn't totally consistent all throughout the episode. For example, there is that part near the end where the deaf guy seems like he is about to go kill the girl off, and eye-patch guy shouts his name and the deaf guy stops. He appeared to be facing away from him at that time, so I don't think he could have read his lips. I'm not sure how the production team could have let that one slip through.

The characters were about average for me, but the execution was kind of poor. The animation wasn't very good and I was a little put off by the complete lack of useful female characters. All of them were either prostitutes or drug addicts, or both... or they were otherwise victims or in need of protection. I do like gritty crime type shows, and there is a lot of drugs and prostitution in those shows, but it is nice to see some diversity in representation of female characters. One of my favorite shows for a long time has been Law & Order: SVU. If you've watched that show, you will know exactly what I am talking about.

Maybe the former prostitute who joins the main two guys will become useful at some point, but so far she has only been used as a vehicle to show how "good of guys" they are (tossing her a kerchief now and then to clean herself up after a trick, sparing her life and telling her former pimp they know how to treat a lady, etc...) Most that stuff was really pretty simple minded and corny though.

Gangsta. isn't the worst premiere so far, but it definitely has room to improve. It's at the top end of the third tier for me. I'd give Gangsta a C+.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
1) Do you think the show's philosophy, though from a good-hearted place, is naive? To an extent, what is your impression of the head writer?

For my own part, I don't know whether the problems come from the director (Mononoke, [C]) or the head writer (Suite Precure). They'd collaborated once before Crowds -- on tsuritama, which I doubt is very indicative of anything.

I've thought for a while now that I'd like to see Brianna Wu's thoughts on Crowds.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Not really sure what to think of Gangsta.

If I had to sum it up, it's Black Lagoon but slower. There's not much plot to speak of, so most reviews seem to be focusing on the technical aspects. Perhaps that will change.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
So its not possible to misinterpret a show? Thats new to me.

Exactly. If you end up with a different interpretation that is equally in line with the facts, then of course that is fine. If you end up with a different interpretation because you are ignoring or for some reason just happened to miss the facts (maybe distracted from the subtitles, maybe the subtitles were wrong or worded poorly, etc), then your interpretation can certainly be wrong. Misinterpreting something isn't a big deal. It happens. Lets not pretend that such a thing is absolutely impossible and use that as a defense.

There were a couple of great examples of interpreting something wrongly in the Psycho Pass 2 streaming reviews, spoiler[one being the interpretation that organs from clear people were being implanted to make others clear]. By great examples, I just mean that the show clearly points out that the interpretations were wrong because they were related to a major plot point where as something like this train groping event is unlikely to be specifically revisited.

There is nothing wrong with missing something the first time. It happens. However, when that happens, you should revise your interpretation to take into consideration the things that were missed rather than sticking to it and pretending that if you missed something, it isn't there.

Rebecca says that the show appears to be saying that the laws concerning train groping are too draconian and need to be fought just like the other draconian laws about sexual content.

You're saying the show does that by showing how easy it is for someone to "abuse" the laws by falsely claiming that someone sexually assaulted them.

I can see how, if you're sympathetic to the idea that the problem with sexual assault laws is that they're too easily abused by people who wish to gain something from falsely claiming sexual assault, Rebecca's interpretation might seem like it's backwards or "incorrect" to you. But your feeling about this isn't monolithic whatsoever, and it isn't the "right" way to read that scene.

Nick Creamer said basically the exact same thing as Rebecca:

Quote:

The takeaway of one of the first major scenes is “in this world, women prey on men by pretending they're being molested on trains in order to extort them.” When you position your show's politics at “maybe train molesters are the real victims,” you're going to find it hard to reach that many sympathetic ears.

Is there a reason you're coming down harshly on Rebecca for "being factually incorrect in her interpretation of the scene" but not Nick? Because both of these seem like a perfectly valid (and "correct" - I've seen the episode and I think they're both right) interpretation of the scene to me.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
^ Well, to be fair, when he started critizicing Rebbeca's review Nick's one wasn't still published.

Personally I align with Nick and Rebbeca's opinion in terms of noticing that unsettling undertone there, but I just thought "well, maybe it's just one naive misstep, if during the rest of the show they don't show anything else like it I can ignore it" (although because I'm not continuing it [didn't found it funny] I'll just have to hear what other people find later, who knows what exact direction this will follow, I hope it doesn't go pure angry childish rant).
Blankslate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Quote:

The takeaway of one of the first major scenes is “in this world, women prey on men by pretending they're being molested on trains in order to extort them.” When you position your show's politics at “maybe train molesters are the real victims,” you're going to find it hard to reach that many sympathetic ears.

Is there a reason you're coming down harshly on Rebecca for "being factually incorrect in her interpretation of the scene" but not Nick? Because both of these seem like a perfectly valid (and "correct" - I've seen the episode and I think they're both right) interpretation of the scene to me.

I'm pretty sure Nick's review went up after he made his comment. For me personally, I don't think the train scene had anything to do with whether the fact that molestation is wrong or not, but just a way to get the plot moving. The main character didn't say anything about the nature of the law, just that his sense of justice moved him enough to take the blame of another falsely accused man.

Last edited by Blankslate on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:

I'm pretty sure Nick's review went up after he made his comment.

Okay - noted. My timeline on this is all screwy anyway - I'm just now back from AX and I'm more than a little exhausted from that.

But I completely fail to see how that "interpretation" is "factually incorrect".
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
[sigh] Another season, and yet another supply of mediocrity. Rakku looks promising though. The rest I wouldn't cross the street for.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Gangsta.
Zac wrote:
Manglobe's animation suffers the entire way through, even in the opening animation – everyone's off model all the time, wide shots look really poor and there are frames where the artistry is so bad it's kind of laughable.

Theron wrote:
In fact, the visuals and animation throughout, courtesy of Manglobe, are top-notch.

Were you two watching the same show? Smile I'm a terrible judge of this sort of thing, only really noticing when things get seriously bad, but I don't think I've ever seen you guys disagree so completely on something that's relatively objective (compared to other components of a show like plot, pacing, characters, music, etc.).

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Sure, the fact that the swordsman is deaf does add a slightly different dimension, but his deafness wasn't totally consistent all throughout the episode. For example, there is that part near the end where the deaf guy seems like he is about to go kill the girl off, and eye-patch guy shouts his name and the deaf guy stops. He appeared to be facing away from him at that time, so I don't think he could have read his lips. I'm not sure how the production team could have let that one slip through.

I don't think it was a slip. I think it just shows that Nic isn't totally deaf. That's reinforced by the way the music and voices are muted but not silent when he's confronting the gang just before Worick shows up.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Sure, the fact that the swordsman is deaf does add a slightly different dimension, but his deafness wasn't totally consistent all throughout the episode. For example, there is that part near the end where the deaf guy seems like he is about to go kill the girl off, and eye-patch guy shouts his name and the deaf guy stops. He appeared to be facing away from him at that time, so I don't think he could have read his lips. I'm not sure how the production team could have let that one slip through.

I don't think it was a slip. I think it just shows that Nic isn't totally deaf. That's reinforced by the way the music and voices are muted but not silent when he's confronting the gang just before Worick shows up.

I considered that possibility but it doesn't seem to jive. His partner shot off like four or five rounds from a handgun when the gun was RIGHT next to his head, and he didn't even flinch or seem to notice it at all other than the bad guys dropping like flies. If a handgun going off several times inches away from his ear doesn't affect him at all, then how would a person shouting his name from 15 feet away have such a huge impact?
Yogshi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
As someone who hadn't even heard of the first season until well, now, I'm bewildered by how polarizing the show seems to be outside of its technical merits. Shocked Guess I better check it out then. For curiosity's sake.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
^I considered that point too, but I think it shows that he's used to gunfire in battle situations and isn't prone to flinching at what sounds he picks up. Also it seems to demonstrate that he's very attuned to his partner (and was expecting to be yelled at anyway, since Worick had already vetoed his action before he turned away). They weren't 15 feet away, by my judgement, but he shouted at him in a quiet alley, so if he heard anything at all, he'd know both where it came from and why (see above expectation).

Imagine Nic as a hunting or attack dog, as per his tags. You can fire off shots near a trained dog without them appearing to react to it, but they respond instantly to their master's voice.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I considered that possibility but it doesn't seem to jive. His partner shot off like four or five rounds from a handgun when the gun was RIGHT next to his head, and he didn't even flinch or seem to notice it at all other than the bad guys dropping like flies. If a handgun going off several times inches away from his ear doesn't affect him at all, then how would a person shouting his name from 15 feet away have such a huge impact?

Deaf people can still feel vibrations from sound waves, so that handgun part I found to be more unrealistic than the part where his partner yells his name (since they're only about 3 feet away from each other and his partner yells like he's 30ft away).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 48