• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
A fair point, FilthyCasual. I believe that it was mentioned that it was made of fish eggs last week, though, which was rehashed this week. It just felt a little unnecessary to me, and like it was taking time away from Soma's struggle.

You believe incorrectly. Alice talked to Nikumi, then went back to her own table. Nikumi looked at her table, saw a boiled egg, an unshelled egg, and a raw egg in a dish, and wondered what the heck Alice was up to. That's the extent to which Alices dish was covered. After that it switched to Erina and her eggs benedict, which included salmon roe, then the episode ended.

It wasn't salmon roe, it was dried mullet roe. Not even close to the same thing.

Alice's dish probably had salmon roe (at least it looked like salmon roe).
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Eh, pacing did feel kind of weird. The manga did it a lot better. There were some inconsistencies with physics, but I suppose expecting logic from shounens is kind of stupid. Autumn Election here we come!
prime_pm wrote:
I am the shell of my omelette
White is my body, Yolk is my blood
I have crafted over a thousand recipes

Unlimited Egg Works!

Oh yeah. Very Happy
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:46 am Reply with quote
I've had about enough of the whole thing we're doing where Soma has a bajillion horrifyingly bitchy female enemies who are evil mainly because vile bitchery is just what one does at Totsuki, and all of whom also have serious anatomy problems. He's had like two male adversaries, both of whom have been shown to have actual reasons for being adversarial specifically to Soma and also clearly respect him as well. Just... Ugh. Please stop. Unpleasant bitch overload, and please fix the character design so it doesn't look like the boobs are attached to the outside of the shirts.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:10 am Reply with quote
I like the different views that the characters possess about cooking: Nakiri Erina's view is that only top-class is the best, only something that is done at 100% is worthy, else it's useless. Alice's view is "the newer, the better"; yesterday's methods are obsolete, and today's are just a placeholder for tomorrow's. Yukihira Sōma's view is that the everyday, plebeian way is the most versatile, offering new possibilities.

And poor Marui Zenji. At this rate, he'll make a cameo in Kyōkai no Rinne Laughing
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
If I had the world's most sensitive sense of taste I probably wouldn't be able to stand mediocre cooking, either.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
If the Fried Chicken story is left out, how is Souma's relationship with Eizan gonna work?
Mewzard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
It's quite possible they just changed the placement of said story.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
I've had about enough of the whole thing we're doing where Soma has a bajillion horrifyingly bitchy female enemies who are evil mainly because vile bitchery is just what one does at Totsuki, and all of whom also have serious anatomy problems. He's had like two male adversaries, both of whom have been shown to have actual reasons for being adversarial specifically to Soma and also clearly respect him as well. Just... Ugh. Please stop. Unpleasant bitch overload, and please fix the character design so it doesn't look like the boobs are attached to the outside of the shirts.

What?

Souma "enemies"

Women -
Alice
Erin
Erin's assistant
Nikumi

(two to three of them may like him to some degree at this point, and Alice is actually has a pretty friendly relationship with him)

Male -
Takumi
Ryo
Curry Guy
copycat guy
Chinese food guy from the elite ten
the guy who cooks french food from the previous geneartions

- although at this point he is either friends or virtolic buddies with almost all of them, but the point being he has had more male enemies than female and most of them drop the facade shortly after. Erin is the only one who still is kind of bitchy, but that is because she is a tsundere.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Erin is the only one who still is kind of bitchy, but that is because she is a tsundere.

She also is pretty damn ungracious. If she were really all that superior she wouldn't be at such pains to put Soma down.

Isn't Mito actually crushing on Soma at this point?

I loved how how the girls were cooing over hunky dad's pictures.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Who the hell is Erin?

(slight sarcasm)
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Erin is the only one who still is kind of bitchy, but that is because she is a tsundere.

She also is pretty damn ungracious. If she were really all that superior she wouldn't be at such pains to put Soma down.

Isn't Mito actually crushing on Soma at this point?

I loved how how the girls were cooing over hunky dad's pictures.

Just wait for it.............when its revealed the only person she seems to like is Soma's dad. Lulz.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
There are all of two females on this show who don't consistently behave in a vile manner and who are regular characters. If even girls who like Soma are garbage to him, it's an even bigger problem. Please stop.

Also, if you can't be bothered to put at least half an ass into writing your post, dude, I'm just going to ignore it. Rolling Eyes
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
Really dislike the OP and ED songs bad choice Twisted Evil
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
That was a really nice episode. Not only is it good to have Soma's dad back in the series, but he's really adding to the plot. I also loved the father-son bonding montage. Even the girls suddenly speculating on what Soma would grow up to be like made me chuckle.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
There are all of two females on this show who don't consistently behave in a vile manner and who are regular characters. If even girls who like Soma are garbage to him, it's an even bigger problem. Please stop.

Also, if you can't be bothered to put at least half an ass into writing your post, dude, I'm just going to ignore it. Rolling Eyes

Huh? Just counting the people in his dorm there are 4 women who are totally cool with him (shy girl, animal girl, matron, and other).

Alice also acts pretty friendly with him. I mean, she has total confidence that he could never possibly win against her, but that's kind of the way Soma acts towards everyone anyway so I don't think that sort of confidence is necessarily supposed to be a bad thing.

Pretty much the only people who treat him badly are Erina and her minion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 19