• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIN-NE (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
So.....I haven't watched this in a while. Does it get more interesting? Anime hyper;
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Cursed mechanical pencil.
Looks like another Damashigami plot.
Shinigami Ageha appears.
Rokudou got mistaken for a bad guy.
Things got seriously twisted after that ^^"
Ageha's sister ran off with Rokudou's dad... *facepalm*
Sakura suddenly developed a spying problem..]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
*weird feeling and magic portal appears*
"Oh no, she has been kidnapped!"

Wait, how did the characters come to that conclusion? Why does a magical portal appear there twice? Is this some obvious trap ever that assumes that the characters know what it means? Characters walk into magical portals all the time in the show because they are being tricked and seem to totally miss the surroundings of the trap, is it because of weak spiritual energy? But Why would the same thing happen to him?

It is damn hard to know when something is foreshadowing or just plot convenience. Although it was blatantly obvious where the sister was before the picture.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Sakura developed a Damashigami problem.
Sakura & Rokudou kinda being forced into engagement by his dad..
Ageha meddled in.. but at least she found her sister.
She is awfully naive too *facepalm*
The whole buch of misunderstanding with Sakura were frustrating..]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Debt does not work this way! You can't just unload an invoice onto someone, it requires a legally accepted offer and acceptance to form a contract! A party must also be of "sound mind", and a minor has the right to make a contract void because they are not counted as being of sound mind, due to that they can be easily tricked. The only exception would be if a contract was used to provide "necessities", something a ring is not. And then you probably do have laws that look at if it was fair.

I am able to accept all the fictional shinigami, but the fictional way contracts work here is completely bogus. It is completely taking me out of the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote
Apparently the laws regarding debts are different in the afterlife. Smile

This series is really putting me to sleep. I have as much enthusiasm for it as Sakura has for everything.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:43 am Reply with quote

spoiler[The amusement park ghost issue.
That idol girl sure was into her role even if she was a ghost.
Ageha using a job to play Rokudou's girlfriend..
Jumonji using it play Sakura's girlfriend..
Sakura is obviously confused about Rokudou & emotions.
Of course Damashigami were behind the haunted house thing.
Somehow everything ended well.]
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
This anime is frustrating to watch because random characters want to kill main lad for no reason; too pitiful.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

I would imagine she would be quite annoyed to have ash thrown around her room after vacuuming.

Over $200, that actually is quite a lot. A fortune for poor Rinne.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 25 (Season 1 finale):

Overall, a good show although some episodes can feel underwhelming like the finale. However, it had a charming way of presenting the characters and each episode had a bit of fun gimmick to go along with the story.

I also liked the chemistry between Rinne/Sakura throughout the series as well as the overall comedy. Rating this as good. I will definitely be watching Season 2 as well for Spring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 25 (finale)

Yes! It is over, I don't have to watch this anymore. *sees season 2 announcement*
This is that damn bike show all over again, although I did have more fun in the second season.

I will be upfront, it is clear from my posts that I have not been a fan of this show, and as such I am probably giving it more flak than it deserves. But that is because I found that this show had some huge problems in a drop of quality next to other similar shows, and I watched 25 episodes of this so you can be sure that I am going to mention as many as I can.

First, to try and reach some misunderstanding I am going to address what I think may be the cause, that is who the target market is. This show had to be for a younger market, because it assumes that you have ability to follow what is happening on the screen without being told, and that the audience has the memory of a goldfish and has to be reminded of things every episode, even of things earlier in the episode. It feels like the show is treating you like you are an idiot, or at least a young child who has trouble remembering or figuring out something obvious.

It is not just the narration, the general go beyond being silly, and go straight into stupidity. That sounds a bit mean, but the flow of events are mind numbing, characters are put in and out of scenes to an extreme level for plot convenience. Especially near the end I was getting so frustrated that we have a yet again moment of Sakura talking with her two friends who are just in it to explain some ghost story that apparently they have heard before and now have to repeat it so the audience has it spelt out what is happening. Where do these girls hear these ghost stories? Why do they have to tell Sakura about it just before it happens every time? And every single time we then have the girls run away scared, leaving Sakura behind so that she then gets to experience it without normals being around. I could say cowardly friends, but it is clearly just for the convenience of the story.

And these stories are so dumb. They do try and play with it by mixing "silly" or everyday things like bureaucracy in it, but it only serves to ruin any sense of disbelief. This is not an action series, this is a whatever is convenient for the scene series, where they can throw in some joke about everyday things. And that is the other thing, the ideas this show has about debt and money is awful. It tries to play things out about struggling with money, but debt works in no way like this show says. And if there are so much powers that can put Rinne to the grind stone over debt, why are those things not used against the fraudster. The show never even tries to get his father to be responsible because he is apparently the "villain" that needs to exist for stories, they pretty much let him go each time.

Next, characters. What is Sakura's character? This was bugging me especially early on, she barely cares or reacts to anything, she is like the barest outline of a character who does not even seem to have an opinion. But then it feels like later they tried to have it passed off as her character, that she is dim or something, and that she just thinks mostly with common sense, but it really does feel like they are dressing up a flaw of how she was created. I might skip past Rinne, except to say that his general character gives the image of being stoic, which is why when they then try to pass Sakura as rather emotionless just does not work. Jumonji is pretty much an arrogant prick who causes problems more than he fixes them. Just to focus on an inconsistency, wasn't Jumonji supposed to care about Sakura because she could see spirits too, but here he was with no opinion when she apparently gave it up in this episode?

A new paragraph but still on character. Ageha, what is her purpose? a rival to Sakura, someone Rinne could relate to played against his money situation, another connection to the villain duo, and a source for the repeated "joke" of Sakura thinking Rinne is with her. Well I just explained her, but she is annoying, again feels like however she could be of use or a hindrance is plot convenient. Are we supposed to believe her on how her sister was supposedly a really good person, because she apparently betrayed everything she believes in for a guy she knows is a scumbag. Her business is literally killing innocent people, and it is played off as goofy that we go "oh well, don't worry they will stop them", but this ignores the fact that they must already be getting a lot of souls when not interacting with the heroes. And how she is brought in like that those glasses fools anyone in the audience for a surprise, it did not even work the first time.

And what is with these designs. I could kind of feel it from the beginning with a kind of retro look, but that is not everything. Why are all the bad reapers derpy things like rabbit people? Do they turn into that, or are all Shinigami like that need to be evil? Was it just an easy way to design characters to look a little less human so we are not so put off by the fact they are killing people? What else can I complain about? Grandma was a cool character, maybe they should have used her more. Maybe some complaints again over the fact no one seems to remember the crazy stuff they get involved in. One of Sakura's friends went on a date with a ghost and never brought it up again. Their teacher like talked with his dead classmate, he can't like understand they are dealing with ghost stuff?

In finality I will give a rating. Weak, the description is "I wish I did something else with my time", and I think that is how I feel. Despite it all I am kind of happy I watched it, because I can say that there are shows I can have a different opinion of than others, that I can feel better about the shows I do like. If I am really not the target audience, and I am being unfair, then I apologise, I do think this could be a fairly neat show for something like 12 to 16 year olds.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I found the series entertaining enough to keep watching, and will probably watch the second season. The thing that I like most about the series was the fact that it didn't follow Takahashi's usual formula of the two main characters bickering all the time.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
It was great to get through RT series that isn't IY. Seriously, his si the first RT franchise I have enjoyed since Ranma 1/2. Now, knowing RT, we're looking at 25 episode seasons, so this will likely run, what seven or eight seasons.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
That A-1 Grand Prix was funny.
Sakura was totally oblivious to Rinne.
The candy seems to be working.
Still, it was poor timing eating it now.
She sure was enjoying her normal time.
Rinne was getting extremely exhausted saving her ass.
Well, at least he got some food from Sakura..
Didn't feel like a final episode, more like a normal one.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Rinne won't be a masterpiece of anime or Rumiko Takahashi's works, but at least she knows how to write.

Sometimes jokes did work, sometimes don't. But I appreciate her humor and the idea of "flawed characters".

I am happy to know they will return.

Episode #25 was another liiitle step in the road for Rinne and Sakura to become a couple. spoiler[She gave her hopes for a normal life giving the candies away. Also, she did show an emotion when she discovered she cannot see any spirits!] Yay! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5