• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Wii U Ready

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
Just think how the music or even the size of Secret of Mana and other games (Tales of Phantasia, Treasure of the Rudra, Star Ocean, and Metal Max Returns) would've been if the Nintendo-Sony Playstation was released. This unit belongs in a museum as it's pretty much not functional today but can generate major buzz and revenue for the museum it's donated to.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
If I could pose a feign idea for the Wii U:

ANOTHER HARVEST MOON CONSOLE GAME!
Lutheos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
The release date on the two next week releases say June instead of July.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
Out of this entire article, what made the most impression on me was that Jet Jaguar is in the new Godzilla game. The movie in which he was introduced was one of the most hilariously bad movies I've ever seen. Are there any other old Godzilla movies as brilliantly awful as that one? I want to see some.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Absolutely looking forward to the new Digimon game, I just hope the localisation doesn't get butchered like Sword Art's Vita game did.

I like the WiiU I have but I'd sooner suggest someone go out and buy a PS3 or a 3DS for a better spread of games. Mario Kart 8 and the new Smash are certainly worth having, and there is a new Zelda coming at some point, but I often find myself gravitating more to the PS3 when I'm in a gaming mood.

To anyone that doesn't currently have a WiiU but has been considering buying one, I say either buy it as an HDMI-compatible Wii, or wait for a really good sale. Otherwise, you might seriously be buying it just to play one or two games at this point.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
My poor WiiU sits dormant with a mere 6 games. I'm pretty sure I had more for my PS4 after the first month. Still, Xenoblade is my second most anticipated game after The Last Guardian.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Yes, thanks to Nintendo's poor marketing of the Wii-U, it initially had a slow start in sales, but at least its moderately high-grade game library helped it to remain standing.
dragonslayer023

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
"The Wii U still outsells the Vita by far, but perhaps the Vita is better off. No, really. "

This isn't even true. The Vita outsells the Wii U in Japan every week and has passed 10 million worldwide.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm so stoked about the Digimon game! I never imagined we'd see it in America, and that if we did, it would only be the Vita version. I really hope it sells well!

I've heard some bad things regarding the Godzilla game, not sure if I'll buy or not yet.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Red Ash: It remains to be seen in what direction this is going to go with the fans. I'd rather wait to fully play Mighty No. 9 first before committing to a new Inafune project. Not trying to be a naysayer here, but MN9 isn't even out for commercial release yet.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Let's get it out of the way first: nobody wanted Digimon All-Star Rumble. This is what everyone practically begged for for the longest time, and hurray to finally getting it. About time we have another solid Digimon title I say. Only problem is that it's for the PS4, something I'm still not wholly invested in purchasing quite yet. I hope I'll be able to get that sorted out in due time.

Nintendo and Sony's First Born: Nintendo and Sony had a baby, and it's multi-colored! It's certainly interesting to see such a thing and recall that development projects like this once existed in the distant past, only to be shuttered away deep within the pages of gaming history. And as usual, people all over the Internet are quick to turn to their favorite tired out and childish YouTube comment: "Fake!" It certainly does warrant further delving into. Maybe it's a working proto of the final? It looks like the screenshot below has a few things added on that the test version in the photo lacks, so maybe what Diebold has is something from the earliest development stages.

Godzilla: I think it's about time I start considering purchasing in a PS4 now. I really don't want to miss out on the games I've added to my want list, this included. I'm even more torn up since Tales of Zestiria's PS4 release is the collector's edition and the PS3 version is just going to be the game. Damn it, I really am missing out. Still want to play Knack as well.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
The real price to pay for the wii popularity isn't the shovelware, it's the current state of the wii u. By pushing the wii as a toy more than a console a lot of the hardcore fan were turned off by Nintendo, this means they weren't around when the wii u launched, so its initial number were very low, this meant that 3rd party didn't see the point of investing in wii u game development. This just feed the cycle and is preventing the wii u from getting off the ground, no game=no audience, no audience=no game. The new casual market that the wii attracted aren't buying the wii u because they don't know or care that it exist. They brought the wii because it was a fad, had fun a few night with it and have since move it to the closet, why would they buy a wii u, they still have there wii. There's also pretty little to attract the hardcore/semi hardcore back, most Nintendo game are just the same as old one, do you really need to play the newest smash game when it's pretty much the same as the old one? There's a handful of new game, like splatoon, but those aren't enough to justify the price or just the space around your TV.

Plus all the gimmick of the wii u don't bring much to the table or they actually work against it. You can't watch two screen at the same time so a second screen work more or less like a button that switch between a second display on the same screen. Pretty much every review of game have a passage along the like of "the touch control work but you're better off just using the normal control". Plus I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people thought that the touch screen was literally just an addon for the regular wii, since its called wii u and the wii had so many of them like the balance board.

Going for the casual isn't a bad strategy per se but I think part of the problem is there's casual and casual. Some people brought a PS2 and maybe 1 or 2 game a year, those are casual but there still the kind that buy a new console when it come out. Then there's casual that don't know that new console are a thing and those are the one that brought the wii but aren't buying the wii u.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Digimon All-Star Rumble, however, was released on the same day as Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS. (Well, I suppose that they're totally different audiences for different systems.)

Quote:
Cyber Sleuth might also manage to bring in non-Digimon fans, as its premise and Suzuhito Yasuda designs seem a little more complex than Pokemon. It plays up its teens-meet-monsters idea a little bit like a Shin Megami Tensei, but instead of demonic pacts and psychological terror, the heroes find talking star-sprites and pint-size Tyrannosaurs.

Pokémon's already beaten Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth to that on both fronts with Jirachi and Tyrunt/Tyrantrum. Greymon and such were designed long before either of those though.

Quote:
It's a reminder that Nintendo can't follow up the Wii's success, and as they consider forays into mobile games and other areas, it reflects badly on the Wii U.

I believe Nintendo could and still can--the problem is that the marketing for the Wii U fell flat. Nintendo made great efforts to sell to non-gamers with the Wii and advertised the Wii in places with a lot of older folks and people generally not interested in video games, and they then backed it up with games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit, and on the DS with games like nintendogs, Brain Training, and Style Savvy. Third-party support came in with games like Let's Dance on the Wii and Cooking Mama on the DS.

The Wii U, on the other hand, seems to be a retreat back to how Nintendo was during the Gamecube. It's as if Satoru Iwata either decided to give in to the rise in mobile gaming, or he was so focused on reducing the market share for Sony that he neglected his own company.

Hoppy800 wrote:
Just think how the music or even the size of Secret of Mana and other games (Tales of Phantasia, Treasure of the Rudra, Star Ocean, and Metal Max Returns) would've been if the Nintendo-Sony Playstation was released. This unit belongs in a museum as it's pretty much not functional today but can generate major buzz and revenue for the museum it's donated to.

If it's for real, at least. It looks convincing to me.

LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I like the WiiU I have but I'd sooner suggest someone go out and buy a PS3 or a 3DS for a better spread of games. Mario Kart 8 and the new Smash are certainly worth having, and there is a new Zelda coming at some point, but I often find myself gravitating more to the PS3 when I'm in a gaming mood.

To anyone that doesn't currently have a WiiU but has been considering buying one, I say either buy it as an HDMI-compatible Wii, or wait for a really good sale. Otherwise, you might seriously be buying it just to play one or two games at this point.

Well, it depends on their tastes. Whenever someone asks me what games to get or what systems to get, and I don't know them very well, I always ask further questions to figure out what they want. I've been burned a few times before by people recommending things based on blanket assumptions or personal biases (not just gaming, by the way), so I don't want to inflict that upon anyone else.

Me, while I am currently playing Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Mario Kart 8 as far as physical releases go (this is, of course, not counting digital releases like Earthbound, Earthbound Origins, Zen Pinball 2, Citizens of Earth, Gravity Badgers, One Piece: Unlimited World Red, and Dot Arcade), I think my Wii U physical library stands at about 10. The reason is because the games Nintendo puts out, and the occasional third party and indie title, are what lines up with my own tastes the most.

(And for the record, I have no interest in playing Splatoon, but I do love watching matches for it on YouTube. If it gets a spectator mode, I might get the game for that.)

I would like to own a PS4 and an Xbox One if my budget allowed for it, but I'd probably only get a game every six or eight months for either of those systems. I'm just not the type of person either of those systems are aimed at. (Same goes with the PS3 and Xbox 360, of course--I've been told a few times that I have a strange Xbox 360 library. My first two games I got for it were Sonic Unleashed and Meteos Wars.)
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
dragonslayer023 wrote:
"The Wii U still outsells the Vita by far, but perhaps the Vita is better off. No, really. "

This isn't even true. The Vita outsells the Wii U in Japan every week and has passed 10 million worldwide.

Sony is stingy with Vita sales figures, but most estimates still put it under 10 million sold. While VGChartz ranks it above that, I'm not sure how reliable their European estimate is. I also suspect that if the Vita had cleared 10 million units, Sony would tell everyone.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I am so upset digimon is digital only for vita. The ps4 port will look bad on the big screen just like what happened with Type-0. These sorts of games are better on handheld anyway, just like P4G, dungeon crawling and grinding is easier on the go rather than planting my ass on the couch to grind for 45 minutes. Shame with a capital S
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Every time I heard people bring up "marketing" in a gaming thread I'm reminded of an eight-year-old blindly parroting a word they just learned in an effort to sound smarter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2