• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cutesy characters.....disturbing show.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching the 13 episodes of Narutaru. It is an extremely brutal show indeed, specially torwards the end it gets more and more violent, to levels that are really hard to stomach. I don't recall anything animated that I have watched that is quite that brutal in the way it uses kids to maximize it's "shock value". Hoshimaru is also a super evil creature. Really worth watching though the low budget of the animation hurts at some points.

Reminded me of stuff like Boogiepop Phantom, Bokurano and Lain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Quote:
I think that Alien Nine might qualify

Yes, I forgot about that show...though it's not quite as bad as these others.....

The disturbing thing about Alien Nine isn't the gore, it's how psychologically unsettling it is. the pubescent girls are depicted as very normal through and through but are asked to defend the school and basically the world as if it were a school club or cleaning duty. The most reluctant one is shown in particular suffering.
It's not about cute girls doing violent or gross things, it's about cute girls having to participate in violent and gross things whether they are ready or not. (but then, it is supposed to be analogous to a teen girl's puberty- the grossness happens whether they want it or not.)

not nice, not fun...
which is why I think I find more people turned off by it than the "cute violent girl" shows.
...and why you can always find a used copy of it for a couple bucks on Ebay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 wrote:
In 1978, Sanrio made the short film Chirin no Suzu (its official English name is Ringing Bell). It's cute for like... the first ten minutes, and then gets dark. And it's aimed at children. It's about a sheep whose mother is killed by a wolf, and the sheep goes out to get his revenge.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringing_Bell

YES.

I watched this and lost part of my soul, I think. D:

But I have so much respect for a short piece that's THIS powerful....especially for looking the way it does...and the era....that's not an easy feat!

Quote:
it's how psychologically unsettling it is

A sentence I'd apply to every show mentioned here. Anime hyper

Quote:
Hoshimaru is also a super evil creature.

I'm honestly starting to believe that ALL animated starfish are jerks. :/
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Gakkou Gurashi (School-Live!), check out the first episode, do not spoil yourself!

It might end up doing something to me, but just this is something of notice.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Quote:
it's how psychologically unsettling it is

A sentence I'd apply to every show mentioned here. Anime hyper

Maybe half. Often when people think of something like this it's about psychologically unsettled characters and shocking violence set in a rational world. They're horror stories with cute psychos. Alien Nine features rational characters in an unsettled and shocking situation and features cute girls who are being broken down by it. Maybe made worse by the fact that the anime doesn't end, it just stops well before the stories end.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:30 am Reply with quote
Just to add to what Spastic Minnow said about Alien 9. With children of that age the adults around them are supposed to protect them. In this show the parents are either clueless or don't want to be bothered. The teachers are actively in the plot and are pushing the destruction of the girls. It gives a feeling of complete hopelessness.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
^
It has been a long time since I watched it but I think that for me the attitude of the adults in Alien 9 was even more disturbing than what the aliens were doing.

I am thinking about watching it again since it is so short.
I have the boxed set with the DVD and all three volumes of the manga.
If I do watch it again I will make damn sure to have a "feel good" show ready to play right after it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2