• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaos Dragon: SekiryuSen'eki (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote

Chaos Dragon: SekiryuSen'eki (TV)

Genres: Action, Fantasy, Supernatural
Themes: War, Conflict

Plot Summary: In the sparkling era year 3015, the great nations Donatia and Kouran divided the world in a cold war as they fight for supremacy. In the middle of this standoff is island country Nil Kamui, which has lost its independence.
----------------------------------

Based on an RPG theme story, the series is noticeable for the people being involved in it. Silver Link./Connect will be producing the series along with Masato Matsune being the director. I heard there were some changes but so far the preview looked interesting with its style, theme, and artwork.

Seems like Silver Link has been quite busy this year. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Notable for the personnel behind the characters who feature in this series and its origins as a table-top game, this series at first glance looks to be a grand fantasy romp with various factions all converging over the common goal that is the Red Dragon.

Too early to form any impressions on the characters since it's just the first episode and the ball has only just started to roll. The visuals look good and the premise isn't hard to understand. Not a lot of difficult technical terms to overcome either.

Exposition looks set to continue next week, especially with the big hint provided by one of the ending shots of a group photo with many figures greyed out. The mention of the Black Dragon with the blond adventurer looks to be a major plot point for the weeks to come.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Hummm was this like a big practical joke? Like all the big name behind this got in a room and said "let's just turn in something terrible just to see if the producer are awake" and it got okayed and they just cashed in?

Everything about it felt below average to downright terrible. The basic setting has been done a million time, that and pretty much everything about this. And what's up with them not even trying to be subtle about it being china invading japan? The bad guys are nothing more than typical evil character, featuring the obligatory scene were they just kill someone for no reason. The main character is incredibly boring, both visually and character wise. Even the 3D dragon looked like they did the strict minimum, I'd expect more from F2P browser RPG. I could go on, but this really scream "mediocre", I guess there just surfing on the name recognition factor? Maybe it's aimed at kid who never watched a fantasy anime before, but it's pretty violent for that (oh and the blood splatter were also terrible).

Last edited by meiam on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Well that was tragic regarding what happened to Mashiro. I think the first episode and premise establishes a pretty serious story with the war and political conflicts between the three nations. As far as the Red Dragon goes, I hope we learn about it more. Losing a friend is never easy so the price Ibuki paid better be worth it.

Visual quality is good for the series along with the soundtrack. However, the storytelling seems to be a hit or miss for me so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

*breathes in*
*breathes out*

Okay, I am watching this. At first I thought that it was nothing special, there are some spotty visual moments idealistic characters. But then the war happened, and things got dark when he was forced to finish the person who was likely closest to him. That is gutsy, and I think that as a complete package at there perhaps needing to be sacrifices, it was good.

I actually kind of like the design of the obviously evil woman, although big muscular guy was too clearly in the cliché role. I would be interested if there are some idealism and such that clash, and the growth that the main character looks set to face looks tough. Tragedy can be a good watch, and the first episode seems to be promising more. But good thing with the catgirl character, need that one.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Stumbled onto this one..
Somehow everyone (mc's) looks loli?
There were some exceptions.
Interesting choice of art style.
Reminds me more of a game than anime.
Not feeling it. Skipping this one.
Too many fantasy anime to choose from this summer..
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I'd have liked this a lot more if the animation (or lack thereof) wasn't sucking the energy out of what should have been dramatic scenes. It also spent an awful lot of time being trite. I actually cringed when Mashiro ended up catching the brunt of the sword strike and unfortunately not due building empathy for the character.

I'm still interested in where it's headed and I really hope it pulls itself together, but this first episode has me pretty nervous about the show's potential.

I was sort of hoping that Obviously Evil Woman would get suddenly one-shot after predictably refusing to stand aside in response to Eiha's warning. Now that would have been entertaining.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Liking the design; it kinda reminds me of the NGNL style....yeah, I might check this one out. :O
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
#2:

Events certainly moved along very quickly.

More members of the main cast introduced, it's quite clear which character Kinoko Nasu had in mind when he created the broom-haired representative. The girl with the large coffin appears to have the ability to absorb souls, perhaps the next few weeks will show more of what she's capable of.

The Shuka warlord's mechanical form resembled a spider to me, however the use of souls as a "damage buffer" against harm was an unusual feature albeit futile at the death against the dragon's special attack.

Ibuki's contract with the red dragon is quite a nuisance, each and every time he wants to use its powers someone close to him must die otherwise the price will not be paid. Since his combat ability without the Dragon's aid is close to zero, the picture will likely have everyone crossed out except for him at the end of the series!
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I like the OP song more than the end.

Episode felt like it was a mess. They are repeating some of the same tragedy of the first episode with Ibuki suffering another loss in his life. Well, obviously he thinks his power is a curse now rather than a gift.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Power at a price seems to be a huge theme of this anime, and not just the prince main character. That catgirl was forced to bond with a creature which she is always connected to and faces scorn. The blonde guy has every weapon he wields get destroyed. And even the villainous who had to die, we see that she strengthens herself by sacrificing others, and it seems her own legs have been removed.

I do wonder how much more can be sacrificed, and what an actual toll will be done. It actually seems Ibuki has joined the expedition to take on the dragon than actually join the rebellion, his latest ally from Kouran. Makes a great chance to make things not all black and white.

For some reason I am kind of getting reminded of Fire Emblem, although I am only familiar with Awakening.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Since his combat ability without the Dragon's aid is close to zero, the picture will likely have everyone crossed out except for him at the end of the series!

I'm not so certain of that. One voluntary sacrifice managed to outweigh all of the involuntary sacrifices made by the recently deceased woman. Her multiple lives did her no good in the face of just one life sacrificed. With this focus on and rewarding of voluntary sacrifice in play, I can't help but think that we're heading down the road towards the MC sacrificing himself as the final resolution.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
Since his combat ability without the Dragon's aid is close to zero, the picture will likely have everyone crossed out except for him at the end of the series!

I'm not so certain of that. One voluntary sacrifice managed to outweigh all of the involuntary sacrifices made by the recently deceased woman. Her multiple lives did her no good in the face of just one life sacrificed. With this focus on and rewarding of voluntary sacrifice in play, I can't help but think that we're heading down the road towards the MC sacrificing himself as the final resolution.

When a Dragon God is your backer, it's not unreasonable for the one life traded to it being stronger than all of the accumulated children's lives used as a damage sponge designed using mortal technology.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
It's kind of a completely pointless power if it requires you to sacrifice the people you are meant to be protecting in the first place to use. Ibuki's going to run out of friends real fast and I mean that in a literal term.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
It's kind of a completely pointless power if it requires you to sacrifice the people you are meant to be protecting in the first place to use. Ibuki's going to run out of friends real fast and I mean that in a literal term.

Perhaps that is the point of this series, all of the characters who wield supernatural/otherworldly powers all seem to pay a price for their powers in some form or another.

Ibuki: No sacrifice, no flames
Swarou: Every weapon he touches disintegrates, but in return he maximises the weapon's potential to its absolute maximum before he needs a new one.
Eiha: One of the "linked beings", the blurb during the intermission basically showed she and her brethren don't live for too long once they've been linked.
Benizaru (Spider woman): Those mechanical legs aren't without their price, plus she needs souls for her damage barrier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7