• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Update Suggestions to The Rules

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I like the look of the new rules especially the links to the additional discussion parts.

A couple of suggestions. What ever is decided about recommendations should be in there with a link to the appropriate portions of the anime hunting thread.

Either in the same sub forum or in the next one listed should be a "How to use the forum software" section. This should include the Tips and Tricks thread as well as the still appropriate parts of the manual that Tempest posted not to long ago.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I respectfully submit that something from this thread should either be inserted into "Teh Rules" or linked to from "Teh Rules".
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Something... like what? If you want it, then please make a draft of what specifically you would like added/modified to Teh Rules.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Disclaimer: All posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, not Anime News Network. Additionally, statements by Anime News Network staff on this forum are personal opinions and may not reflect the views of Anime News Network as a whole.

1. Above all else: Be Polite
    1. Harassing, slanderous, threatening, dangerous or illegal material will be removed from the forum by moderators.
    2. Swearing is frowned upon.
    3. If you disagree with a poster, disagree respectfully, or do not disagree at all.
    4. Many people first come to our forum to ask questions on how or why. Please treat them with respect. Do not respond to questions from new visitors with sarcasm and/or hostility. If you are unable to provide a polite answer, then don't say anything at all.

2. Post relevant, thoughtful responses; avoid lists and one-liners
    1. We hope to promote an environment of intelligent conversation; we would prefer to hear your thoughts or questions behind the meaning of a particular anime, not what anime character you'd like to date.
    2. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, then do not post it.
    3. Please post detailed answers to questions; lists and one-liners do not contribute. A more in-depth discussion about listing and one-liners can be found here.

3. Stay on topic
    1. Discussion should be related to anime, anime news, Anime News Network, the forum topic, or in some way relevant to this website. Excessively off-topic ("OT") posts will be locked or deleted.

4. Use proper English
    1. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
    2. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post. If you have a disability that impacts your writing ability (e.g., dyslexia), then please say so in your first post.

5. Do not excessively quote
    1. If you are responding to a single idea, quote only that relevant part. Elaboration on what constitutes as excessive quoting and how to avoid it can be found here.

6. Moderators have full discretion to enforce the spirit of the rules
    1. Moderators have the right to lock, delete or modify any post at any time if they feel it negatively impacts the forum. If a thread is locked, that means the subject may not be brought up again.
    2. Moderators are volunteers; they lack the time to read every single post. If you come across a questionable/objectionable post or thread that you think needs to be reviewed, then please click on the red-exclamation-mark icon and fill out the accompanying form.
    3. No "Back Seat Moderating." If you know a thread is going to be locked, do not post in it. Do not berate posters for breaking the rules, that is the job of the ANN moderators and admins. Please report the post and, if you think it is necessary, contact a moderator or admin.
    4. What to do if you've been banned

7. Self-promotion is only allowed if it has value, is relevant, and creates discussion for this forum
    1. See here for additional details.

8. Commerce is disallowed outside of the designated areas
    1. No Commerce is allowed outside of either the Retail or Subscriber Personal Sales Forum (see rules for Subscribers here). Users may not post their own commercial endeavors nor link to commercial websites unless specifically requested by another poster. Users who have been hired to advertise for specific items will be banned.
    2. Commerce in the Retail Forum is limited to commercial websites only. Links to online auctions or a user's commercial endeavor are not permitted in the regular retail forum. Websites that sell items in violation of Rule #9 will be removed and their URLs banned.

9. No bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, etc.
    1. Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products. Links to and discussions about websites that provide authorized, legal downloads are permitted.

10. Use the search engine and read the site
    1. This should be obvious, but people regularly ask questions that have recently been covered in other forum threads or in ANN's articles. So before asking a question, put the keywords into the ANN search engine and the forum search engine. Checking the Encyclopedia may be a good idea too! (depending on your question).
    2. Do not make threads or posts that require speculation, like when an anime is going to get another season, license, dub, etc. Further discussion on speculations can be found here.

11. No necroposting except where allowed
    1. Necroposting is the act of resurrecting very old threads. Threads in the Talkback Forums have 2 months of shelf life from the date of the latest forum post. All other threads have 12 months of shelf life from the date of the last post made.
    2. Exceptions to the necroposting rule include:
      Those threads do not time out. Further discussion on necroposting can be found here.

12. Use spoiler tags appropriately
    1. When unsure if the other participants of a thread already know a particular spoiler, use spoiler tags
    2. Guidelines on when to use spoiler tags can be found here

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Here's one that include nobahn's proposed rule. Feel free to move it around. I inserted it before the commerce rule since self-promotion and commerce serve similar intentions to draw eyes away from this site and try to sell themselves. If you do move it, be sure to update the commerce rule, part B, where it references the number of the bootleg rule.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, willag.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
willag--

Because Zac has explicitly stated that that Talkback threads to original editorial content never time out, I would respectfully submit that the two bullets under 11(b) dealing with reviews should be replaced with something like: Talkback threads to original editorial content never expire / time out.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
I would respectfully submit that the two bullets under 11(b) dealing with reviews should be replaced with something like: Talkback threads to original editorial content never expire / time out.

That's not entirely the case. Internally we refer to "editorial" as stuff under Zac's supervision, but if we were to write it that way in Teh Rules it would confuse people into thinking that news are also included. And they are not, as necroposting on really olde news is utterly pointless.

But anyway, finally Teh Rules have been updated. omatase shimashita!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I love it, Dan! Thanks! I also really like the abridged version that shows up when you make or edit a post - that's a really neat idea. I'm not certain how it'll look on my phone, though. I wonder if it'll be a bit of pain there to scroll down to get to the post tab. But on the computer screen it looks just fine.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I really like the abridged version of Teh Rules that appears when you post in a thread now!

One small suggestion/comment: It feels like when I see people violating rule #9, it mostly takes the form of people linking to/discussing streaming websites that host fansubs and "ripped" Crunchyroll or Funimation simulcast content. I'm not sure whether this is actually the most frequent infraction of this rule (the moderators would obviously know better than I would), but if it is, would it be prudent to change point #9 in the abridged rules to something like:
Quote:

No bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, illegal streaming, etc.

Just to make it more obvious?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I noticed the change of the Reply page when the abridged version of Teh Rules popped up. It's a welcoming change, as this implementation should cut down on the insults that were frequently dished out from certain users.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Violations of the rules still need to be reported. The moderators are unable to review all threads as fast as member are. If there is an egregious violation of the rules report, do not respond.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Violations of the rules still need to be reported. The moderators are unable to review all threads as fast as member are. If there is an egregious violation of the rules report, do not respond.

Please and thank you.

In case anyone honestly feels the moderators don't "get to issues" fast enough I have a project for such people. Bear with me here. At 11:59pm your time zone hit the "mark all as read" button for the forums. Clear the board so to speak. Then come back at 11:59pm the following night and go through every section and count every single new thread or threads with new responses. Keep track of how long it takes you to just simply count them. Not even read any. Then however long it takes you multiply that time by 10. That is probably the MINIMUM time it would take a single mod to BRIEFLY scan every new thread or post. That's not even going in depth. That doesn't take into acount those threads that pop up with 5-10 pages over night on more controversial topics that we have to read more in depth from the beginning to get a better idea of how the thread is flowing. That's after all of us work a normal 8 hour (or more) work day, shower (hopefully), eat, deal with any significant others we may live with, do homework, etc. If you can find that sort of time to go through every single page of new posts every single day please share your secret. If you say time travel you're cheating.

So yes, reporting offending posts is most helpful. Very Happy As is not responding to said reported posts either. Wink

As for the new updated rules, thanks Dan the Man! When I saw the abridged version at the top when attempting to make a new posts I thought I had clicked something wrong at first lol.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I moved some posts that were related to a specific issue here.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Don't know the exact details, but IIRC, the rules state that posts must be PG-13.

PG-13 films are allowed one F-bomb. I think the rules should be amended to clarify that no F-bombs are permitted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDqxuGlxbWc
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8