• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Arina Tanemura

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, nice interview xD

Wow, the interviewer asked so many H!P questions! That's all fine by me, since I <3 them, but I found it funny. I almost had a heart attack when Tanemura said her fave Berryz is Risako! (my fave too...but don't worry, I'm not creepy, I'm an 18-year-old girl, lol)

Ooh, I'm excited for an upcoming fantasy-ish Tanemura series now!
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
[Image removed for being off-topic. ~Zalis]

I wonder why manga-ka are so particular about their pictures being taken?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
That was kind of shallow, really.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:

It really depends on the individual manga-ka. In the upcoming Comic Exhibition 2007 @ Taipei, two manga-ka invited by the same licensor (Ever Glory Publishing) have just the opposite opinion: Banri Hidaka declines photography, while Kotomi Aoki welcomes everyone (fans included) to take her pictures.

Furthermore, some manga-ka have been drawing manga without the knowledge or consent from their families, friends, or employers. If the said manga is erotic then it's more natural for them to hide their true identities from others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote
I thought this was a very good interview and I can not wait for Arina's next Manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Ms.Arina seems really cool. Nice interview. I especially liked her encouraging words to those who're striving to become manga artists as well.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, I had no idea she was such a big H!P fan. That's so neat. :9 I'm not a huge fan of her, but I have liked her works that I've read and finished (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Full Moon, ION, etc) and it's neat to hear we have similar music tastes, haha!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Oh wow, I had no idea she was such a big H!P fan. That's so neat. :9 I'm not a huge fan of her, but I have liked her works that I've read and finished (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Full Moon, ION, etc) and it's neat to hear we have similar music tastes, haha!

If you read her columns in some of her manga, she's mentioned H!P a number a times Anime smile
Jamee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Tanemura-sensei has never liked having her picture taken. Read the extra story in Fullmoon volume 7 for more details. It's not shallow; it's a personal quirk.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
In terms of scale, this is much, much bigger. But in Taiwan, there were so many fans around me when I was doing autograph sessions that I couldn't really see what was going on, because of all the fans.

I'm trying to figure out if she considered this a good thing (she had more space to work with in the US) or a bad thing (more people around so she felt more popular/"loved" in Taiwan). I'm curious because she would have had more people around her in America if Viz had been less strict with their handling, altho I can see good and bad to that.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
Wow, what a concept--fans actually WAITING A YEAR (or so) for the official version to come out rather than looking for fansubs or scans.

The interview didn't seem to focus much on the artist. We had better questions in the Q&A at con. And rub it in her face you've read the last HP book? Evil.

She seemed very, very shy in the Q&A, but it is very much a Japanese manga-ka thing. Some may be ok, but all the ones Viz brings over every year never allow pix. (last 3 or 4 yrs-including, to my surprise, the Kenshin artist. Being a guy, I figured he would be ok with it. No. I mean, gals are supposed to think they photograph horribly).
I suspect it has to do with that anonymity they seem to enjoy--that they can go out in public to shop & stuff & no one really knows them. Believe it or not, there was a time when Neil Diamond was pretty anonymous(mid-70's)-it was one of the issues he mentioned before taking that first movie role-that only his fans knew him because he didn't do a lot of interviews & photo shoots but he knew doing a movie would mean more people would recognize him on the streets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1