• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why House of 1000 Manga Was Cancelled.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olaole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
You terminated House of Manga for this?

These advices are common sense and everyone with a brain can figure it out. And skipping arcs? That's ridiculous, why would you ever skip a part of a story even if it is long?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
Olaole wrote:

Yes... and no. House of Manga will be replaced by articles of this sort, but more thematically related to House of Manga.

Jason and Shaenon will be writing features for us, and you can count on their features continuing to appeal to the people who like their writing style.
Olaole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Olaole wrote:

Yes... and no. House of Manga will be replaced by articles of this sort, but more thematically related to House of Manga.

Jason and Shaenon will be writing features for us, and you can count on their features continuing to appeal to the people who like their writing style.

Still, that leaves me somewhat bitter as good manga columns are very hard to come by. If the quality on ANN continues to decrease like this I may need to look for another news outlet that satisfies my need for in-depth editorials.

Psycho 101 wrote:
Olaole wrote:

These advices are common sense and everyone with a brain can figure it out. And skipping arcs? That's ridiculous, why would you ever skip a part of a story even if it is long?

Not everyone has common sense. Plus given the size of One Piece it's an intimidating series to jump into if you're new to it. The author was simply giving suggestions to minimize the fear and trepidation from jumping right into such a long series. Plus I know plenty of people who have skipped filler arcs in long running shonen series. Or watched certain ones out of order. Different strokes for different blokes as they say.

Skipping filler arcs in understandable, but skipping canon story just sounds like you are too impatient and can't appreciate buildup. I really can't udnerstand this type of thinking. Even if it is a bad arc, it is stillr elevant to the story and especially ins eries that rely so heavy on worldbuilding like One Piece it seriously breaks immersion.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Olaole wrote:

Still, that leaves me somewhat bitter as good manga columns are very hard to come by. If the quality on ANN continues to decrease like this I may need to look for another news outlet that satisfies my need for in-depth editorials.

So because columnists have decided to move on, which to clarify is not ANN "terminating" the columns, this leaves you bitter and means the quality here is declining?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Olaole wrote:

I'm sorry you feel this way, but it's a perfectly reasonable position to take. If we don't publish the material you want to read, there's no reason to read our site.

I'll be frank. House of 1K Manga was a great column. That's why we continued publishing it for years, despite the fact that we lost money doing so. No where near enough people read it.

Our new editorial policy is, in part, designed to allow us to publish material of the same caliber as House of 1K Manga and attract more readers to that content. We're hoping that the new format will make the content more accessible and noticeable.

Hopefully you'll like the new articles written by Shaenon and Jason, and that will be reason for you to stay.

We also have a project in the works (one that I've been talking about for over a year, but am sadly behind schedule launching) that will allow subscribers (ie: paying readers) to have more direct input into editorial decisions. So article types and columns that are popular with paying readers will stay, even if the total number of people reading them is not very high.

Psycho 101 wrote:
So because columnists have decided to move on, which to clarify is not ANN "terminating" the columns, this leaves you bitter and means the quality here is declining?

Jason had limited time for House of 1K manga, so it could certainly be said that he moved on. Shaenon wanted to continue writing the column. I appreciate the defense of our policies, but it is misplaced.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1