• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tardy Anime Spotlights

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
For the record, I like the anime spotlight articles. They offer nicely-formatted and clearly-presented information about a show, all in one place. However, some of them are being put up ridiculously late.

What's the point of putting up the spotlight articles weeks after the first episode has already aired? Heck, not just the first episode: the newest season of DRRR!! was spotlighted three days after the third episode aired.

This should be obvious but would appear it needs saying: spotlights are only useful if they come at a time when people still don't know much about a show and want to find out more. There's no point to having spotlights if they are late. Ideally they would be posted just before the season starts, or perhaps just after the first episode has aired at the latest. And to be fair, some spotlight articles do make it in time to be useful. But others are not. After three weeks, most people would have made up their minds long ago about whether a show looks interesting or not.

So what I'm saying is, get your act together ANN. If you can't get spotlights out in time - so they can be of use to your readers - then what's the point in having them?

P.S.

And just to be clear, this thread is not an attack on Mr. Foronda. I've got no issue with him, and I'm sure he's doing the best job he can given the circumstances.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
@dtm42
I'm fairly sure you can blame the Japanese company responsible for the show. It has been previously stated that the existence and content of a given spotlight is dependent on what the company provides. I assume the timing is also up to them. ANN likely would not refuse to post it just because it was late.

It is not as though it hurts anything. Probably someone looked at their streaming numbers and decided they needed a boost. Not everyone looks at every show the moment they become available.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I'm fairly sure you can blame the Japanese company responsible for the show. It has been previously stated that the existence and content of a given spotlight is dependent on what the company provides. I assume the timing is also up to them. ANN likely would not refuse to post it just because it was late.

I am already aware of this, which is why I noted that I don't blame Mr. Foronda. He can only publish what he's been given, and Japan is notorious in being difficult to work with.

However, if the information arrives too late for the consumer then what's the point? Which brings us onto:

Alan45 wrote:
It is not as though it hurts anything. Probably someone looked at their streaming numbers and decided they needed a boost. Not everyone looks at every show the moment they become available.

It may not hurt but I'd wager it doesn't help, at least as much as it should. Perhaps the spotlight articles indeed get enough pageviews to justify their existence, but the information contained in them would be far more useful before the first episode airs, don't you think? In this day and age people are pretty on the ball with streaming, so I do wonder how many fans would only be checking out the first episode of something more than two weeks after the season started. I doubt the number is that high, especially compared to those who have already made their choices.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes. I'm not very happy with the condition of the Spotlights. We're going to work on getting them more timely by the end of the year.

The goal was always to have them posted before the first of January/April/July/October.

The blame for the lateness varies from show to show. Sometimes it's our fault, we're going to be much more diligent about this. Sometimes it's the licensor's... I think we're simply not going to post them if they turn them in after the deadline.

-t
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
^
Appreciate you taking time to respond.

And thank you for indicating that you will work on improving the punctuality of anime spotlights. They are informative articles which have been very helpful to me in the past, and I'm sure that, moving forward, it will continue to be true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1