• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rurouni Kenshin (TV 1996 + movie + OAVs).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
How nice, a Kenshin appreciation thread.

While I've approached the series from what fans would probably consider the wrong starting point (Tsuioku-hen), I just wanted to say I am so glad I went on to check out and fall in love with the original series. In fact, I'd want to call myself a Kenshin fan myself by now, given how much I fell in love with the characters and brilliant storytelling (especially in the Kyoto arc). The series has definitely become one of my favorites. I recently traveled to Sitges (Barcelona) to watch the live action movies at the local film festival and was so grateful the organizers had acquired the movies for us. The theater was packed with fans cheering for their favorite characters (Aoshi and Saito in my case), and it was just plain awesome to be able to enjoy the movies in such great company. Turns out, Kenshin is quite big in Spain, which I didn't know before, but it made me so very happy to discover an old manga copy in the library of the school I work at (in a village with exactly 1.004 residents, so that's saying something. It's also the only manga this 2 classroom school has in it's library, so, yeah, pretty awesome.) I've already managed to turn my partner into a fan of Kenshingumi. Man, do I love these vivid, conflicted, complex, and lovable characters and their voice actors. I get so scared when Suzukaze lets out the Battousai, the way her voice changes is just incredibly frightening and well acted, especially in the fight with Saito in the beginning of season 2. The music is wonderful, providing every character with such a fitting theme. Thanks to Tony for providing me with a how-to guide to approach the franchise a while back. Kenshin is shonen at it's absolute best.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I was warned about Rurouni Kenshin: New Kyoto Arc (OAV), but still watched it since I have a compulsion to watch things in their completeness (which gets better of me most of the times):

1) Use of music was strange, at times.

2) As expected, some of voices have aged. Among female actresses, it is Kenshin, Misao, Kaoru, Yahiko. Among male, it is Aoshi. Voice for Hajime was replaced with another actor (due to loss of previous actor to cancer), but the performance is so similar that I would not probably notice the difference if I did not knew it (and I like this voice from other works, too). Okina elderly had to be replaced since original actor also has died.

3) Voice of assassin teen Sojiro, by the way, is the same that can be hard in Inuyasha, as well as in some episodes of One Piece, but I would not recognize it because the performance is quite different. However, I do recognize the voice from Hunter X Hunter retelling, where the actress plays aloof murderer Shalnark.

4) If original voices were good enough, and if this project would have a restart, then I would prefer studios re-using the recordings from 1990s. And for proper animé version of final ~100 manga chapters, authors could use processing of actor's recordings from both this show and from their other works. Of course, they have to do it a decent way: pay the same royalty as if actors would do this job anew, and pay to relatives of actors who have already died. Of course, this would hardly ever happen since this kind of licensing is complicated, it would be easier to do things usual way even though the result would be worse.

5) Finally a correct palette, skin hue colours, much better backgrounds and higher resolution are welcome, but partially angular drawings of characters and super thick lips in profiles are unnecessary changes; the annoying flickering is still present.

6) Story had to simplified to fit in to an hour and half film, but if it was made by just cutting it would not make much sense, so authors had to change things. In the end, the changes turned out to be significant enough that this project is only half-related to original. I literally can not remember where a compilation or an shorter alternate retelling would be ever comparable to original, it is just not possible, it has never happened.
ScarredSwordHeart

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I first got into Rurouni Kenshin by watching it on CN back in the day, mainly because it was on right before Inuyasha. I wasn't too wild about it at first because Kenshin seemed so silly and childish. However, when I saw him turn murderous, then I thought he was really cool. I gave it a chance and watched the entire Kyoto Arc and that was just mind blowing. I know I watched the anime at least twice in its entirety.

I watched the OVAs as well. At the time, I disliked them because I had seen the English dub and the voice acting was so robotic that I just dismissed it. However, when I rewatched Tsuiokuhen in Japanese, I fell in love with it because the voices were so natural and didn't sound robotic at all.

Seisouhen is a train wreck of an OVA that I have no use for. Kenshin and Kaoru aren't Kenshin and Kaoru. Instead, they're acting out the roles of Battousai and Tomoe in Meiji Era Tokyo. The tragedy and angst that made Tsuiokuhen a masterpiece made Seisouhen a farce, in my opinion, because that angst and tragedy had no place in the Meiji Era.

Of course, I read the manga as well and just loved the Jinchuu Arc. It's so much better than Seisouhen's shabby treatment of what, to me, is the most important arc of the series because Kenshin is forced to face his past full on to the point where it breaks him. All of this is stripped out of Seisouhen and thus the entire meaning of the story is gone.

Shin Kyotohen to me was just a waste of animation. What I thought was going to be the Jinchuu Arc is just an unnecessary retelling of the Kyoto Arc, which was told perfectly in the anime. Why did they need to remake it?

I loved the live action trilogy as well. While some liberties were certainly taken (especially in the third movie), Sato Takeru is just so loveable as Kenshin and all the other cast members did so well in their roles as well, especially Kaoru and Megumi. I'm really hoping for a live action adaptation of the Jinchuu Arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:24 am Reply with quote
I like the TV series a lot, but felt that the series dropped in quality after Shishioh. I didn't really like the OVAs though. It seemed way too dramatic compared to the anime.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
#843666 wrote:
I like the TV series a lot, but felt that the series dropped in quality after Shishioh. I didn't really like the OVAs though. It seemed way too dramatic compared to the anime.

The only OVA that matters is Trust And Betrayal. The rest are crap and I even hated the live action movies.
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Sorry for posting in an old thread, I didn't realize this one was so old. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I really liked the Rurouni Kenshin anime, but I love the manga so much more! <3

I wish there was never a 3rd season due to it being nothing but filler. I wish we never had all those dumb OVAs and the live action movies. I feel like all those were just pointless!

What we Rurouni Kenshin fans actually want is a reboot/remake of Rurouni Kenshin with NO pink kimono, NO fillers, NO anime only characters, ALL manga characters, Jinchuu Arc FINALLY animated, same awesome music from the 1st anime, a better animation studio, and a better director!

Please Japan! Make it happen! We beg of you!

I wonder if anyone is still a fan of Rurouni Kenshin even after all these years? Smile

I hope I'm not the only one that's still a fan even after the manga and anime ended. ^^;
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I wish we never had all those dumb OVAs and the live action movies.
I thought that that Trust and Betrayal was OK.
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I thought that OVA was ok (it was actually the ONLY OVA I thought was alright). However, I didn't like how the animation was so different from the anime and manga (though I admit that the new animation style looked really good! Anime smile ). Also, the manga fan in me wished it had been part of the Jinchuu arc in animation form *picky Samurai is picky* Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16