• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[split] Satoshi Suzuki #28154

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
person#28154

I can't find an existing thread or post so making one for visibility/tracking and so I can record my working.

Error report indicates (at least) two different Kanji names present: 鈴木敏 and 鈴木聡.

There are.. at least four distinct role types and some that frankly I don't even understand (What sort of role is "LAGRANGE Meets NISSAN"?)

And I'm being side-tracked again. There's a bunch of people credited with 蒼撮影部 which is actually part of the name of a company, not a role (Office Ao Satsueibu).. and between that, something else that came up and pesky customers wanting help I'm out of time so, to paraphrase Shrek: someday, I will return. Unless, of course, I can't find this again or if I forget.

---

The one linked news article is about a scriptwriter with a new kanji: 鈴木智 (http://www.ntv.co.jp/bungaku/cast/ningen.html)

Naturally, these single-kanji given names have many alternate readings
http://tangorin.com/names/敏
http://tangorin.com/names/聡
http://tangorin.com/names/智

Satoshi looks to be the most common reading for all three in our own database.

We have a Bin Suzuki with no kanji assigned and a single DOP credit.
There's an Akira Suzuki with different Kanji assigned (and also looks to need splitting)

---

I've started a name breakdown as a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14mTDkH5KokL26qJ3H05swK8QcGwueABifo5q1nk-6vk/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
In between animation check for ep 1 of Cleopatra DC was 宍戸聡, a kanji name not in the encyclopedia but which seems to be Satoshi Shishido.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
Interestingly, that Kanji seems to completely break Google Sheets somehow.
I've fixed the link so it is to the sheet itself, not a HTML rendering.

Wait... how did 宍戸 ever get confused with Suzuki?

Looks like FUNi have removed most of the Okami-san episodes from YouTube; I thought that would be an easy one. I suspect I will need to either start looking outside of the authorised YouTube videos for a few of these, or hack my way into Hulu (and then "you can't skip to the end before you see some adverts" followed by "you've skipped to the end! I must show you more adverts!")

--edit--

Table complete with what sources are presented. Would prefer to verify as many directly as possible, but for now will check for other online sources for the gaps.

D2 Station has full staff for Spiral and I can't find him anywhere:
http://www1.vecceed.ne.jp/~m-satomi/SPAIRAL.sub1.html
http://www1.vecceed.ne.jp/~m-satomi/SPAIRAL.sub2.html

The only key animator named Suzuki is Hitoshi. This may have been a typo (the person who entered this, I never get how they work; their source URL is nearly always the top page of the official Japanese site, for information that is located nowhere on the site)

--edit--

What I haven't mentioned in-thread yet apparently is that the animator is 鈴木聡志. We have 7 people in the system with that given name kanji, all named Satoshi. Enamdict has only one other reading, Soushi.

The Anime Staff Database does not have Satoshi Suzuki for episode 5 of Okami-san, but it does have Saishi Suzuki (鈴木彩史). Saishi is the only reading in Enamdict. Entered by the same user as Spiral...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
There's some confirmation/clarification still required before most splits can happen, but we're looking at four Kanji names and at least 5 people:

鈴木聡志
One person; animator

鈴木敏
One person; photography/compositing

鈴木智
1-2 people; writer and whatever the Lagrange thing is.

鈴木聡
At least two people; Background artist and miscellaneous roles that may all be the same person.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
I marked the animator who has separate kanji based on your spreadsheet and the few others I could find. For the animator credits Spiral and Slave Nurses are still unconfirmed.

The producer does use the same kanji as the background artist, although the Gargantia OVA producer is different. It appears we have a background artist working at Atelier Rourke 07 and a producer who is currently with Dentsu.

I split the photography and screenwriter into new entries.

The Ookami-sama entry was a misreading of Saishi SUZUKI.

----some info about the Detsu producer is here:
http://www.ntv.co.jp/jointv/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The Anime Staff Database does not have Satoshi Suzuki for episode 5 of Okami-san, but it does have Saishi Suzuki (鈴木彩史). Saishi is the only reading in Enamdict. Entered by the same user as Spiral...

Digging into some official English credits, I think "Saishi" is probably a mistake.

"Ayafumi": School Rumble 2nd Semester, Aria the Scarlet Ammo
"Ayahumi": Darker then Black OVA ep 2, Darker than Black Gemini of the Meteor ep 2
"Saishi": Darker than Black Gemini of the Meteor ep 11
(not covered): Innocent Venus, Okami-san, Certain Scientific Railgun, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Sound of the Sky, Guilty Crown

In Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood episode 66 and Soul Eater episode 5, he's not covered in the English credits, but the kanji is 鈴木彩文. "shi" does not appear to be a legitimate reading of 文, but "fumi" is legitimate for both 史 and 文. It's unlikely 彩文 would have been mistakenly (assuming it is since it's a rarer variant) entered in the first place if his name was known as "Saishi" to the person providing or typing the credits. Also the one credit entered on ANN as Ayafumi already (episode 28 of Soul Eater) is all-hiragana and so the reading can't be mistaken.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
There are.. at least four distinct role types and some that frankly I don't even understand (What sort of role is "LAGRANGE Meets NISSAN"?)

"LAGRANGE Meets NISSAN" is essentially the alternative term for "Special Thanks" used by Rinne no Lagrange, over half of whom are from Nissan Motors.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
We're still left with some work here. I have three roles without confirmed Kanji.

Currently there are four confirmed Kanji names:

鈴木哲史 of those is only used once, but could still conceivable apply to one of the blanks.

鈴木智 is used only for the two Lagrange series' and can definitely be split now, but I have no idea what term to use.

I think the background credits for 鈴木聡 are ready to be split since none of the unconfirmed credits are in this area, and the other conflicting credits are quite clearly disparate roles.

The two outstanding animation credits probably belong to 鈴木聡志, but it would be nice to get confirmation.

------

Since the oldest credit is for backgrounds and the kanji is correct, I will split the animator into a new person and rename the original entry as a background artist. I will then split the miscellaneous credits into a new entry that I will call "producer" for now.

Work remaining to be done is now under this entry: person#147826
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1