• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Heaven Sense

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Student no.0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
It really is a shame to see how things are turning out for Red Ash. Although I've never played any MML games, what I've seen based on several gameplay videos had me really hooked. An sci-fi open-world, action-adventure RPG like MML is just the kind of game I've been wanting to play for a while. It's a good thing that Inafune won't give up on trying to get this game made even if the campaign fails, but aside from possible reasons as to why is campaign is doing poorly, I really get the impression that very unfortunate timing was what really bit it in the back in the end. There could just be not enough people interested in the kind of game comcept proposes make, but with MN9 not even out yet, perhaps people want to see that Inafune and comcept are capable of keeping their promises(which is totally understandable) and have a feeling of guarenteed quality after seeing the final product of MN9. Maybe should this be the main cause, then hopefully if they decide to relaunch the campaign, it'll do better in its second attempt.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Lots of DQ for 2015-2016, I'll be getting XI for the 3DS and NX, and Builders and Heroes 2 for the Vita once they launch in Japan.

Yorunonaikuni got delayed to the day of TGS which might be a good thing if they fix any bugs, the Gust-chan first print DLC is hilarious. However it's making September crowded when it comes to Japanese releases.
El-ahrairah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Was that a Watership Down joke AND a Big O reference? My gray day has been suddenly filled with color ;D

People are so down on the Wii U, when it's really not a bad console at all. I get why people rag on it, and it's not doing nearly as well as the 3DS, but I'm still looking forward to a lot of awesome looking upcoming Wii U games. Then again, I am a Nintendo girl at heart so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

It's sad that Red Ash isn't doing well. I've never been a Megaman fan, or a Legends fan, but I know the pain of being part of a starved fandom. I had hoped it would do well. I'd probably contribute to it on a less pinched month, but as it stands now there's just no extra money for anything.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
It's disheartening that the Kickstarter for Red Ash isn't faring well. That 180-second displaying only development of the game and a small footage of it in its alpha stage just wasn't enough to get more people interested in it. Maybe there will be a surprising twist to this Kickstarter occurring within the next day or two, but I'm not holding out much hope.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Red ash campaign timing is so disastrously bad, it alone makes me doubt the project. I love both legend (although I wasn't particularly sad at ML3 demise since it was a portable game which I generally find lacking), so the idea of a legend inspired game is great, especially since there's few game like it, part castlevenia, mega man part and Zelda with a few RPG element. But I can hardly believe they don't realize that coming out with it right before MN9 is a terrible idea, it reeks of them cashing in before people find out they can't make game on KS budget. Both possibility are uncomfortable, either they don't realize it, in which case that reflect very poorly on there ability. Or they do realize how terrible it is, but decide to push trough anyway because they know people will be disappointed with MN9 and they won't be able to get funding after MN9 release.

And right now I'm thinking the second possibility is what's happening, it seems so obvious you'd want to make the campaign right after you make a successful game so that you can show it to all the doubter who didn't fund MN9 that it can be done and that there money is in good hand. That alone doom the project for me, not even getting into all the other problem.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We've done surveys, and eighty-five percent of our player base prefers the subscription model
Damn straight. I'd rather pay the $13 than have to deal with nonsense of F2P.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Red Ash is not going to get funded for a single reason:the people who backed Mighty No.9 are still waiting for the game to come out in September to see if it was really worth it before they would support another Inafune's project.So,yeah,Inafune should have waited at least until after September and see people's reception to the game.

This Kickstarter was Inafune pretty much expecting that the same people that backed Mighty No.9 would blindly fund another game without even playing the previous one they helped to fund to judge if he really earned their trust...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Red Ash: There are honestly a lot of factors to consider why things aren't going so great for this game's Kickstarter:

1. There is still the bitter resentment fans have over being let down regarding Mega Man Legends 3 being cancelled. While Red Dash is made in the spirit of MML3, it's not the same thing to some people. They genuinely wanted MML3 and they worked hard to contribute designs and ideas to it. It's obvious what the problem is here, and you could make the same case for Mighty No. 9 not being Mega Man Classic, but you have to remember the Classic series has years of tenure to its name.

2. This is kind of an "it's Inafune's fault" thing, but most people are hesitant to put money into another project of Inafune's when Mighty No. 9 hasn't even been released commercially yet. They don't want to commit to a second idea of his until we see the fruits of the first. This factor is understandable and the most logical one. After all, there is the slight possibility that Mighty No. 9 may not live up to our lofty Mega Man expectations. If, on the slight off-chance, it happens to fail, then you can see why backers would be hesitant to put money into another game by the same guy.

3. As stated previously, Mega Man Legends is unfortunately less popular than its brothers. It actually wasn't that hot in Japan truth be told, despite Tron Bonne's massive popularity spike causing her to become the poster girl for the series (I'll refrain from saying something unkind about Japan and its obsession with underage girls here); she and the Servbots essentially exist to represent the meager three games of the series in crossover titles. I guess the Legends games were just too different for some people and apparently it still shows in places.

Exist Archive: I have to say the company crossover was the first thing that got my attention with this title. Now, after all these details have been revealed, Exist Archive looks to be quite promising. The main catch, obviously, is the Valkyrie Profile features (and it's obvious from everyone's gushing on gaming sites that those features are what they're focusing on). At this point, we may as well put our hopes into this game instead of pining for a VP Hrist title (which will likely never happen at this stage).

Wonder Boy and the Cursed Kingdom: Hurray for dropping that stupid Wizard of Booze part of the name. While it sucks this has to come out next year, the good news is that it's still happening. I'm sure this will be as much fun to play as the Westone games.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
feel free to imagine some between your randomly named hexer and troubadour.

That's how EO is meant to be played!
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I hope the failure of the Kickstarter doesn't mean the end for Red Ash. Though as noted, whoever timed the Kickstarter should be kicked in the head.

1. No gameplay at initial launch - just concept art
2. Mighty No. 9 isn't out yet

6-8 months after Mighty No. 9's release would have been a better window for launching the Kickstarter, and with some kind of playable build to show off to boot. Here, as awesome as the idea of an MML spiritual successor might be, it just feels too "pig-in-a-poke" for people to put their money in.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Mighty No 9 looks worse and worse each update, and the developer of Red Ash's track record (mostly otome visual novels and phone games) I'm glad its turning out like this.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll have to pay some attention to Exist Archive.
Quote:
And battles let players control up to four party members, each synced to a different controller button? And they all work together to pull off damaging combo attacks?

Sold it to me already because
Quote:
Valkyrie Profile

I still remember.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
My main reason not to support red ash because it was basically admitted to being a prologue so all I can think of is MGS 5. I am not going to pay that kind of money for a game that might last a few hours.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Red Ash admitted to being a prologue rather than a full game, and there have been so many large videogame kickstarters lately that I think the audience is tapped out.

Comcept should have waited until AFTER Mighty No. 9 was released, but the X Button column called it:
Quote:
Perhaps the Kickstarter will rally with fan donations or some publisher swooping in to save the project—which was perhaps Inafune and Comcept's greatest hope in the first place.

The next day the Red Ash kickstarter page announced that they were being funded by an outside source.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame Yoshida wasn't asked real questions on FFXIV other than generic questions you can ask anyone. Seems whoever did the interview was assigned the job without ever touching the game. Kinda pointless interview.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2