• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Monster Musume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I love how the monster girl motif gives this ecchi harem premise feel so fresh. Instead or only relying on character archetypes, there is the reality that these girls are monsters to deal with. It seems even people who are not major ecchi harem fans are enjoying this show.
blackice85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I fully expected some minor changes to fit an episodic format, some things always get cut or rearranged. Generally I'm very happy with how it's turning out, it's been very faithful the the manga otherwise.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Anime of the year Laughing

Disappointed that MON squad introduction isn't happening next episode.Instead it's the cringe-worthy Papi egg scene.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Mero is definitely the least creative of the main girls in terms of race, but luckily the writer did give her a new twist in order to make her character amusing as all hell. As for her background they've JUST started getting into that in the manga.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Whether by accident or design, Monster Musume offers some serious food for thought this week.

I feel like this is actually a big reason the manga sells so well. This could easily have been your average borderline-hentai generic-harem romcom, but the author continually finds ways to insert intriguing world-building in between the boobs and sex jokes. This consideration helps elevate the series above its less popular cohorts.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Quote:
Whether by accident or design, Monster Musume offers some serious food for thought this week.

I feel like this is actually a big reason the manga sells so well. This could easily have been your average borderline-hentai generic-harem romcom, but the author continually finds ways to insert intriguing world-building in between the boobs and sex jokes. This consideration helps elevate the series above its less popular cohorts.

A big reason why I enjoy this series.The fanservice actually gets toned down a bit for more of this.

I really enjoyed those clever visual metaphors this week Laughing. Was also happy the Papi egg scene was toned down a bit(cringe-inducing in the manga.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the funniest episodes yet, and is basically the poster child for just about everything this show is about. Raunchy comedy, hilarious visual metaphors, interesting world-building and implications regarding how monster girls would fit in in our society, and a weird juxtaposition of uncomfortable body horror and ecchi. Looks like even more next time, with MON and Rachnee-san.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
I really enjoyed those clever visual metaphors this week Laughing.

I never imagined they could ever draw a snake with buttocks. And people keep telling me watching anime is a waste of time.
WitchWatcher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:

I really enjoyed those clever visual metaphors this week Laughing. Was also happy the Papi egg scene was toned down a bit(cringe-inducing in the manga.

wait until the BD release
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching this show. I like how it's refreshingly upfront about the issue of sex, and doesn't just beat around the bush like most ecchi/harem shows about (presumably) adult characters.

The forced marriage plot point seems absurd, though. It's fine that they were working to legalize intermarriage, but not that they expect "Main Character" (that's literally what his name means) to marry one of them. That's literally unconstitutional. It would have been just as effective for them to hear that marriage has been legalized and then start competing for his attention.

That say, the show wouldn't be very interesting without its flagrant sex appeal.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I liked the MON Squad, Zombina is quickly contesting Cerea for best girl.

One thing that bothers me is the Exchange bill, it's limitations on Monster Human conflict feel bothersome. It feels like it lets Monsters attack people and then that's it, no one can fight back.

I get the series is trying to keep humans from hurting monsters but they could just as easily say Monster's have superior psychical powers and would crush and normal human in a fight, instead they force humans into seeming helpless and unable to stop a rampaging monster.

Also "Monoeye" can't we just call it a cyclops? I get that Cyclops is a subspecies but really?
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
One thing that bothers me is the Exchange bill, it's limitations on Monster Human conflict feel bothersome. It feels like it lets Monsters attack people and then that's it, no one can fight back.

I get the series is trying to keep humans from hurting monsters but they could just as easily say Monster's have superior psychical powers and would crush and normal human in a fight, instead they force humans into seeming helpless and unable to stop a rampaging monster.

The law goes both ways, but I get what you're saying. However, they address this in episode 7. During the police briefing at the beginning, it's clearly admitted that the bill is still new and therefore has tons of holes and problems that weren't considered when it was first written up.

Plus, at the end of the first segment, during the news broadcast, it's said that this event may even lead to revisions in the Exchange Bill now that some of it's issues have been brought to the forefront.

So there was both an acknowledgment of the problems and a possible fix presented within this episode.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
blackice85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Also "Monoeye" can't we just call it a cyclops? I get that Cyclops is a subspecies but really?

You answered your own question. I don't know about you, but pretty much every cyclops I've ever seen has been a giant/ogre with a single eye. Indeed that's how the original Greek and Roman mythology depicts them, as giants.

But this one isn't, other than the single eye she's the same as a human. So the name cyclops is reserved specifically for the giant varieties, and monoeye is a more general term for single-eyed humanoid monsters in this series.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
The forced marriage plot point seems absurd, though. It's fine that they were working to legalize intermarriage, but not that they expect "Main Character" (that's literally what his name means) to marry one of them. That's literally unconstitutional.

Good thing they don't use the Constitution in Japan then! I understand your point, but I think the idea is that Kimihito is already attracted to them, which is why he was "chosen." I mean, honestly, it's going to be a contrivance no matter how it's spun, so I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

Snakebit1995 wrote:

Pretty sure in episode 1 they already covered that monsters also cannot harm humans. Wherever you live, I'm willing to bet that there are really complex laws and procedures about how much force law enforcement is entitled to use in various situations. The orcs hadn't harmed anyone yet, except for an unknown person who wasn't part of the police. That could be interpreted as self-defense since she was armed, so I believe the police were mostly just unsure of what they could do at that point.

In any case, the orcs' "demands" and the fact that the minister was sitting there trolling everyone should already speak to how hyperbolic the situation was supposed to be in its depiction; the situation was so ridiculous that it's not really meant to be taken very seriously by the audience. Again, another contrivance to introduce new cast members, more or less.
---
It's too bad they couldn't find 1-2 minutes in an earlier episode to animate the "fetish omake" that establishes Kimihito as a "leg man," which allows that scene with Rachnera to make a lot more sense instead of seeming like a completely random character setting.
WitchWatcher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
would a cyclops be a good sniper given their poor depth perception?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8