• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overlord (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this episode! Sometimes it's fun just to watch a supremely OP character walk all over a total asshat. Even though I understand the dramatic reasons for it, after awhile I get tired of characters, hero or villain, who trash talk and then to their surprise can't back it up until they go back and get stronger.

I was also delighted that his quest for world domination actually has a solid reason behind it, instead of it being that he's slowly turning evil or something.

It's interesting to me that he pronounces "Ooal" with the English "ooh" sound and not as "o-o-al" or "oh-wal."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
OP much. And his dialogue really seems in keeping with his overlord persona rather than a gamer, or he know what to say to not confuse Albedo. I actually found her quite entertaining when she got worked up.

Kind of wish more happened with the other characters.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that one thing the new world has inherited from the old world is an accelerated timescale. The whole progression from day to night in episode 4 was gorgeous (and fitting, given that the switch between classic hero and classic villain occurred at twilight), even if my sense of time is off. The highlight of the episode for me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Albedo's orgasmic face when she remembered the way Ains dealt to those fools was quite amusing. She's a sadist through-and-through.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I'm reading too much into it, but the warrior ability looked comically out of place with the other soldier, everything we've seen from the soldier seems to indicate they have no way of doing super ability (creating blade of energy, spinning in mid air to attack all enemy around him). It seems like the game is either hinting that he's a player (or some sort of former player) or that he somehow learn the ability from a player.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Not sure if I'm reading too much into it, but the warrior ability looked comically out of place with the other soldier, everything we've seen from the soldier seems to indicate they have no way of doing super ability (creating blade of energy, spinning in mid air to attack all enemy around him). It seems like the game is either hinting that he's a player (or some sort of former player) or that he somehow learn the ability from a player.

武技 = bugi = warrior arts seem to be an accepted form of combat in the world the new Overlord now occupies. The enemy commander even complimented Stronoff for his mastery of multiple skills, hence his status as the mightiest warrior of his kingdom.

As far as viewers are concerned, there is no definitive proof that the Overlord occupies a "new" virtual world or has been transported by unknown means; lock, stock and barrel; to a real, living fantasy world whose magic and rules are an exact replica of the online world Yggdrasil shown in the first episode.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
As far as viewers are concerned, there is no definitive proof that the Overlord occupies a "new" virtual world or has been transported by unknown means; lock, stock and barrel; to a real, living fantasy world whose magic and rules are an exact replica of the online world Yggdrasil shown in the first episode.
Well, it can't still be inside the game or in another virtual world, unless the show is playing dumb. The level of AI required to make a world like this come to life exceeds what is present in the first episode. So based on what we have in front of us, it should be a real world.

I'm enjoying the show, but I'm getting hungry pretty quick for an actual conflict rather than just "I'm in a mysterious world, what do".
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Well, it can't still be inside the game or in another virtual world, unless the show is playing dumb. The level of AI required to make a world like this come to life exceeds what is present in the first episode. So based on what we have in front of us, it should be a real world.

I'm enjoying the show, but I'm getting hungry pretty quick for an actual conflict rather than just "I'm in a mysterious world, what do".

Read the post below, some viewers need a bit of convincing regarding Momonga's current predicament. I'm just answering that point made, the series made it quite clear from last week's episode onwards that Momonga and his followers are in a living, breathing world different from the virtual one they previously inhabited.

meiam wrote:
It seems like the game is either hinting that he's a player (or some sort of former player) or that he somehow learn the ability from a player.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Well this was something more of a buildup episode. Some mechanics like potions explained and a powerful item shown although I have a bad feeling about it.

I'm curious about this Sword of Darkness group though.
I mean, their roles are explained but it'll probably be better to see them in action.

That Clementine girl gives a bad vibe of what may happen soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Really liked how he dealt with being unable to read the job description. Was well done too, especially how there was minimal exposition, a lesser team would have made him explain himself every step of the way rather than just overall explanation at the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

So he used an illusion that made him perhaps look like his RL self, or at least the implication was that he looked Japanese as apposed to the general populace.

Something I had a different thought while watching was his view he made earlier about looking down on people. I thought it was more odd before, but it might have more to do with the culture of gaming he was in, that he still considers the world as very game like. VR is really barely in infancy, so the biggest comparison might be to some mostly RPGs that have interaction with NPCs. NPCs to continue to improve in games, but I think something you find is people tend to climate which makes things like this kind of normal. Makes me wonder about what VR could have influence as.

Also, a character's name was Khajiit? He was not even a cat.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:31 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
people tend to climate

I have no idea what that means.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
people tend to climate

I have no idea what that means.

I probably said it weird, words that don't make proper sense or something. I was trying to say people get used to things, like how when you go up somewhere high after a bit you get used to it.

Adjust! Maybe "adjust" was the word I was trying to use. I don't know, I can be weird.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:06 am Reply with quote
^
Maybe you meant "acclimatise"?

It means: become accustomed to a new climate or new conditions; adjust
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Acclimate is probably the word you meant to use, DP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 22