• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School-Live! (TV)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic episode! I personally think they topped episode 3. This is the sort of drama I've been anticipating! The ending was a beautiful sendoff to the friendship, even though we technically don't know if Miki's friend died. I mean, we know that narratively, she almost certainly did, but a scene with her death before showing such a sad ED would have made this complete.

The scene with Kurumi getting the car was brilliant, and anyone who spoiler[didn't catch on to the fact that Megu-nee was dead] likely had it subtly confirmed for them.

On a side note, I know that they're keeping up this School Living Club thing for Yuki's sake, but I've noticed that the girls never really address the issue of zombies to each other, even on supply runs. Hopefully, the next zombie attack will force Yuki to come to terms with reality.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Couldn't they have just waited until nightfall when the zombies go home?

What makes you think they "go home" (or whatever) at night? They ran into zombies during the supply run to the store and the library, and that was at night, wasn't it?

Is it too early or unnecessary for me to be wondering how this spreads? Smile It would seem to be via blood (or saliva??), or else why would a zombie eating a person turn that person into a zombie? I guess what raised that issue this episode was the blood on the dog, but it's been bothering me all along. I'm afraid I have a Bio-containment Level IV mentality that's hard to set aside. ;D And then there's also the problem of why are zombies even a threat when a toddler could outrun them.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

What makes you think they "go home" (or whatever) at night? They ran into zombies during the supply run to the store and the library, and that was at night, wasn't it?

I thought they established one episode that the zombies at least left the school area when it got dark. And the zombies were roaming around the soccer field and the girls commented something like: "They are playing soccer again?". So the girls speculated that the zombies retain some memories. That random zombie in the library must have been some straggler or the zombie got stuck somewhere. Also if zombies do "go home" at night then it makes sense that they waited until it got dark do get supplies.

batou37 wrote:

I think that they had mentioned needing supplies when they were having breakfast and Yuki was excited about having the last beef. I simply took it as balancing risk with reward where while it would be more dangerous, it would be much easier to find supplies when it was light out. Especially if it turns out that the infected all go bed down or something and they could inadvertently walk into a huge problem while fumbling around in the dark searching for supplies.

I did think that they wouldn't do something so dangerous just to go on an adventure with Yuki. I guess I just missed the part where they mentioned supplies. Still I would have probably rather waited until it got dark and then think about the dangers of the night later or maybe even wait in the car until sunrise.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

A mission I had in the episode was figuring out if at the time they meet Miki if the Megumi was already dead, and all clues point to yes. Actually I think a couple comments Miki has said in earlier episodes also pointed to her already having passed on before she joined. But in general how the staffroom bit was held, the choice of driver, and the girls getting in the car pretty much confirms it.

I am pretty sure at this part the show is taking into consideration that we understand different parts as a forgone conclusion, and that included that Miki's friend will die. We can kind of guess what we are going to see next episode as Toramaru sniffed the music player and escaped. What I want to see is how Miki handles it.

But one thing is confusing, the other girls really seem to trust Yuki's Megu-nee. Almost makes me wonder if there is a totally different side to Yuki we are actually not seeing, like maybe she has a super competent split personality that shows up when consulting the teacher. Like we are only getting a selective view of one side of a character the others seem to actually take the advice of.

Extra note of the altered perception of Kurumi of how she sees the zombies. A couple observations to also be looked at too. One is that the word zombie has not been said, this is often a part of such fiction actually do not have zombie culture. They never call them zombies there are not zombie movies in that world, and often finding the rules out themselves. This is actually the case in say something like The Walking Dead. A bit of zombie movie trivia is that "zombies" being reanimated cannibals of this nature was a response the Night of the Living Dead movie, and oddly none of them are called zombies, and film makers did not even think of them as such.

And with how it spreads, I am interested in if might spread the say way, that it does in the Walking Dead, that spoiler[everyone is already technically infected]. Which in itself is actually the classic. So radio stations are down, that means that means that is indeed big, or there is some sort of information blackout.

Part of me wonders if there is anything else that could be a twist. Toramaru has particularly been on my mind, especially in terms of Zombieland. And probably wrong for some reason I keep getting the thought that Miki might be male.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:22 am Reply with quote
True that they don't refer to them as Zombies, but they rarely refer to them at all. The Walking Dead at least has them give the things names (Walker, Geek, Biter, and my personal favorite, Skineater). This show rarely refers to them as anything.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I am pretty sure at this part the show is taking into consideration that we understand different parts as a forgone conclusion, and that included that Miki's friend will die. We can kind of guess what we are going to see next episode as Toramaru sniffed the music player and escaped. What I want to see is how Miki handles it.

While Toramaru finding Miki's friend in a dead or zombified state is pretty likely, I can't help but think it'd be better if her fate (whatever it ultimately is) be left as a mystery for a while. As much as I'm loving the show, it could stand to have a few wildcards in play.

CrowLia wrote:
I too wasn't completely sold on spoiler[Megu being dead], but this episode seemed like a confirmation to me, especially when spoiler[Kurumi volunteered to drive the car]

I will think less of the show, but laugh my head off for a good while, if the whole spoiler[Megu is dead] thing turns out to be false and she was spoiler[alive the whole time].
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I would think that the dog would have found Miki's friend. She probably never made it out of the mall alive, otherwise she would be with the girls already.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Every episode, we learn more and more about the story. Thanks to the flashbacks, we see how the girls met the dog and their encounters with the zombies. There's also some focus on Kei again which is kinda nice.

Then, there's Yuki making delusions again. I hope she realizes that reality is what's in front of her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
There was one interesting scene when Yuki is remembering something.
spoiler[Hinted to be what really happen to Megu-nee.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Daymn, the last 3 episode have been so good.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
I will think less of the show, but laugh my head off for a good while, if the whole spoiler[Megu is dead] thing turns out to be false and she was spoiler[alive the whole time].

I'll just say that that when I rewatched episode 1 with some friends, I locked on to spoiler[Megu's line "I'm a casualty!" after they catch the dog]
But yeah, that would be quite the ridiculous plot twist.
bibotot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
ANN is slow to catch up with this series. They still have 2 episodes unreviewed. I know Martin is busy, but I will get upset if for whatever reason Gate is reviewed before this anime.

Mad Mad Mad Mad
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Man, that mall really reminds me of Dead Rising. Oh the time I have spent in a plaza just like the one with the escalator (the umbrellas make interesting clearing weapons), going to the supermarket, trying on women's clothing, hiding out in the security room, weary of the cinema, and a dog making an unstable girl run into a pack of zombies. Well at least there were no insane clowns.

Also, apparently loud noises can actually confuse the zombies, maybe overloads their senses.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
The ep 4-5 review was submitted late last night and so should show up sometime today (if it's not already up by the time you see this). Typically reviews submitted after a certain time in the evening don't show up until the next day. (And since Zac and Hope both live in PST, you shouldn't expect anything early morning if you live farther east.) And I did announce in the response thread for the streaming reviews that there wouldn't be a review last week.

Gate should also be up today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
To note upon adaptation differences spoiler[By making Tarumaru the reason why Yuki goes back inside the mall creates a logical reason for Yuki to behave in such a manner, however this moment in the source manga was supposed to emphasize that Yuki is capable of doing something reckless/brave in the face of real danger (ie foreshadowing that Yuki is simply keeping up the act) and wasn't simply chasing small dogs]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 14