• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Podcastoes O'Brien

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
The bubble burst they are referring to, is that the time when a lot of dubbing studios started shutting down?
Xelorei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Monster available on DVD in Australia? I suppose if you really wanted to own it, you could import it from there. But either way, it's still a real shame it's not fully available for purchase in the States.
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The bubble burst they are referring to, is that the time when a lot of dubbing studios started shutting down?

No, I think they meant the shutdown of various anime licensors (Geneon, Bandai, ADV, etc.).

I thought this was a good podcast. I'm to hear that he still likes doing anime despite him doing more video games and original animation.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Liam seems like such a nice guy, and his voice is so soothing to listen to. I guess that's to be expected of a voice actor. Great podcast!
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised there weren't any twitter questions about his role as Archer in Fate/Stay Night. It seems like a lot of people liked him there and Fate's been pretty popular lately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
I'm surprised there weren't any twitter questions about his role as Archer in Fate/Stay Night. It seems like a lot of people liked him there and Fate's been pretty popular lately.

You have to wonder how many people actively use Twitter to ask Zac questions related to his upcoming podcasts. It's a very niche idea, and then he also filters out the ones he considers to be bad for whatever reason.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I was unfamiliar with Mr. O'Brien's work. But it was interesting to hear the perspective of someone who has worked in a lot of other things besides anime dub work.

And I am a huge Monster fan. F*** Viz Media for not releasing all of Monster on DVD. I will never understand them for not releasing the whole series on DVD even though they had ALREADY PAID for the whole dub. I will probably import the Australian set if no NA company rescues it this year.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Great interview. While he's not quite as big as Troy Baker, Liam O'Brien is definitely more prevalent in mainstream stuff these days than he is in anime. So it's nice to hear him address his anime roles and hear about the circumstances which have brought about this change.

Tenma in Monster is probably my favourite role of his (Monster's dub is all around really good) so it's kind of a shame that it's not widely available... unless you live in Australia like I do (Thanks Siren Visual).

angelmcazares wrote:
I will probably import the Australian set if no NA company rescues it this year.
Siren just announced an $120 box set with the whole series in English and Japanese. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
I'm feeling particularly dense tonight because I just don't get the pun in the title. :/ I thought it might've been a riff on pistachios, but then it would have been Podcastios or Podcashios or something, so I dunno. All I can think of is potatoes. Very Happy

Aside from being distracted by that, I very much enjoyed the podcast. Been a fan since Texhnolyze. Now that I think of it, the same goes for Patrick Seitz, so that was a nice shout-out. Smile
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote
Great listen, always really enjoy hearing Liam O'Brien in new dubs.

Like everyone, I'd love to be able to finish that Monster collection.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Aside from being distracted by that, I very much enjoyed the podcast. Been a fan since Texhnolyze. Now that I think of it, the same goes for Patrick Seitz, so that was a nice shout-out. Smile

Now that you mentioned it, I just looked back at that cast list for a refresher, that show really did have a great set of VAs.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
Xelorei wrote:
But either way, it's still a real shame it's not fully available for purchase in the States.

Tell me about it. I missed a whole bunch of episodes when I was teaching overseas back in 2009, so I feel as though there are some vital story details I am still not aware of to this day. =[

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
deathfromabove1993 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

No, I think they meant the shutdown of various anime licensors (Geneon, Bandai, ADV, etc.).

Yeah licenses, I forgot they are separate companies.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti

Potatoes O'Brian: pan-fried with onions and peppers.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
It's interesting that the Monster character is voiced by the Japanese Naruto and Laura Bailey who has done various Naruto characters. Heck, the dub Johan played Kimimaro who was the Japanese Minato/Ninja Slayer. That is, as close as you can get to an official Minato vs. Naruto fight (outside of the video games).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
@Alan: Thank you! That's a new one to me. Sounds tasty! Smile

belvadeer wrote:
I missed a whole bunch of episodes when I was overseas teaching back in 2009, so I still feel as though there are some vital story details I am not aware of to this day. =[

If that's the case, you certainly are missing vital parts. At least Viz is reissuing the manga in "Perfect Editions" (each has two volumes of the original editions, and lovely covers and some color pages), so you can get up to speed with those as they're released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2