• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Releases 2007 Attendance Figures

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'd say mostly since the threat of the attendance cap has not come into play, people feel less of a need to pre-registrar.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
I'd say mostly since the threat of the attendance cap has not come into play, people feel less of a need to pre-registrar.

That was our analysis as well, among at least a few staff I talked to about it.

Given we had a shorter pre-reg window this year (nearly a month shorter), being down by only 600 or so people wasn't bad. And the effect of the forced layout changes to the exhibit halls actually wound up making the congestion less severe.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised it was only a little larger than last year. In a way, maybe Artscape was this year's O's-Yankees series, stealing away valuable coverage and local attendees.

Also, Otakon felt noticeably more crowded I think than last year, while at the same time managed well enough that it wasn't a problem at all. Again, the layout was perfect.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Also, that was the shortest line for badge pick-up I've ever seen. Kudos to the Otakon staff for a job well done this year.
Jifty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Also, that was the shortest line for badge pick-up I've ever seen. Kudos to the Otakon staff for a job well done this year.

Also Kudos for wrapping the line around the other side of the building, keeping everyone in the shade. :p
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
Didn't seem that crowded this year.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The non-prereg line is also shorter.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised to find the attendance had gone up as it seemed like less people were there. the DR switch did help, and moving the line for it as well. However just in all hallways it felt like, and looked like, there were less people. Waits at all restaurants in the area were also shorter then even just last year. I guess maybe I just didn't notice as many people for some reason. I will for once give Otacorp credit, and the staff, for doing a good job this year. After the signing bs from last year, and all around unhelpfulness of staff members, I was not expecting much. Thankfully they were helpful this year. Even with the expanded DR it still felt like it wasn't as crowded this year. The AA actually was the one place I thought was mroe crowded then last year. That and the screenings were filled more then last year. Unless I just had better luck getting a seat last year and nobody liked anything I saw heh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1