• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chii85

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Was Monster Rancher comlpetely dubbed in Canada?
jwiderski

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
In my quest to watch more Lupin the Third, I find myself at a loss to know where to go next. Would you mind giving me some recommendations of your favorite Lupin the Third movies/TV Specials?
Castle of Cagliostro is the obvious one, so let's skip that shall we?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
^
Please be advised that recommendation requests are frowned upon. However, since your request is so specific I will refer you to this page. Clicking on each link will show you a user ratings scheme for each anime/manga. That should (hopefully) give you an idea as to what is good and what is not good.
jwiderski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
My apologies. Thank you for your help.
Lamprolign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
About a decade or so ago I saw several trailers for an anime that was set on a post-apocalyptic Earth but a human colony had apparently been in existence on the moon since before whatever the apocalyptic event had been. From what I remember the central plot was survivors on Earth rebuilding a launch vehicle, that looked suspiciously like a Saturn V, in order to make contact with this lunar colony. I can't for the life of me remember the name and I've probably spent a total of four 8-hour days with internet searches. I'm hoping someone will know what anime this is. Thanks in advance for any information.
pibburns

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Lamprolign wrote:
About a decade or so ago I saw several trailers for an anime that was set on a post-apocalyptic Earth but a human colony had apparently been in existence on the moon since before whatever the apocalyptic event had been. From what I remember the central plot was survivors on Earth rebuilding a launch vehicle, that looked suspiciously like a Saturn V, in order to make contact with this lunar colony. I can't for the life of me remember the name and I've probably spent a total of four 8-hour days with internet searches. I'm hoping someone will know what anime this is. Thanks in advance for any information.

Sounds like the Freedom ova
(anime#6769).
Lamprolign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, I think that is it.
pibburns

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
Was Monster Rancher comlpetely dubbed in Canada?

Are you asking if the English language version of the Monster Rancher anime was dubbed in Canada? If so, yes, The Ocean Group dubbed all of the television episodes (from an edited script).

Are you asking if the English dubbed episodes were edited for content with respect to the Japanese versions? Yes they were.

Are you asking if all of the English dubbed episodes were broadcast in Canada? That I don't know. I've been told that only episodes 1-48 aired in Canada. Hopefully Canadian members of this forum could provide an accurate answer to that question.
eltodesukane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
Hyouka
What is the spacecraft on the club room wall poster?
(a spacecraft with solar panels near the Earth?)
[/img]
You can see the poster on episode 01 near 06:10,
also many times in all episodes.

Last edited by eltodesukane on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
^
Just to confirm: You're talking about this anime, correct?
eltodesukane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Yes.
Hyouka, Hyōka, ("frozen dessert" or "ice cream")
You can see the poster on episode 01 near 06:10,
also many times in all episodes.
Night fox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Looks like some sort of communication satellite, orbiting Earth. I looked at some of the works of the artist Rick Fischer, and I found a near match for your image.

I don't know if it's an authentic existing model, or what it's called, though.
eltodesukane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Not a match.
I was curious to find a match because I thought the animators probably copied an actual poster or an actual image of a satellite.
I was able to find very many solar-paneled satellite images, but not a single matching one.
Or course it may be that the animators just randomly drew some made-up image, but I thought it was improbable.
Such a mystery.
"I can't stop thinking about it." as Chitanda Eru would say.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
^
Perhaps an explanation can be found in the manga..... Neutral
eltodesukane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
pibburns wrote:
Lamprolign wrote:

Sounds like the Freedom ova
(anime#6769).

I agree...

This is probably Freedom (2006-2008), an anime I did not like (nice art, but...)

Freedom Project
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Project

In the year 2041, mankind created their first space colony on the moon. But after a freak cataclysm devastated human civilisation on Earth, the republic of the moon built a domed megalopolis known as Eden. Now in the year 2267, a boy called Takeru spends his time engaging in hover-craft races against rival street gangs, unaware that he is about to embark in the journey of unearthing Eden's origin.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1747/Freedom

anime#6769

FREEDOM Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKvZKrGmODE
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 507 of 569