• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To Love-Ru titles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Noticing we were still using the double-barrelled Japanese title for the first Darkness anime I added the US title. This should have been simple but this is where I started running into.. toraburu.

While we've been pretty consistently been using "To Love-Ru" for anything from the series, none of the US discs have a hyphen in the title. They but don't give any clue as to spacing either, but the "To" seems to have an initial capital only, the "LOVE" is all upper case and the "Ru" is probably initial capital but could be either. As far as I can see, Sentai/S23 press releases consistently use "To Love Ru" (where "To Love-Ru" crops up, it looks to have been edited our side).

The Anime Network however, don't care for consistency at all:
To loveru
To loveru Darkness
To LOVE-Ru Darkness 2nd

Anime on Demand simulcast Darkness as "To Love-Ru Darkness".

Crunchyroll is only streaming Darkness 2nd, an doing so under "To Love Ru Darkness"

The Japanese site OTOH, has it spelt out in English as "To LOVERU Darkness 2nd"

The only place I can see any official Japanese sites using a hyphen is in the URL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Sentai's disc releases don't seem very consistent with capitalization either...

Season 1: To Love Ru (but copyright is "Toloveru Project")
Season 2: MOTTO TO LOVE RU (production/copyright smashes all the words together for the committee name)
Season 3: TO LOVERU DARKNESS (although it lists the production as "To Love Ru Darkness Committee" and copyright as "Toloveru darkness Project")

About the only point of consistency is in the logo coloring "To" & "Ru" pink with "Love" black for the first two seasons and using different sized letters in the third, suggesting they should all be separate words (the back of season 3 notwithstanding.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1