• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Speed Racer, Noein Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm hoping for two different versions: an unedited release featuring the original Japanese audio and a brand new English dub, and a re-release of the original edited English version. I don't know if they'll be able to fit that all in one set or if they'd have to split it up Pizza Cats style, but I'd definitely be down for it either way.
Desslok

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
I guess the big money question is: was any of the footage for Speed Racer cut? I know if you took the Star Blazers audio and laid it over the '77 version of Yamato, it would fall out of sync by the end of the episode, since there were small trims here and there.

Now if Speed Racer was unsnipped, then the obvious way to go would be:

Channel 1: The original Fernandez soundtrack over the Japanese video
Channel 2: The original Japanese audio (with subs, of course)
Channel 3: An all new dub, perhaps in the style of the Gatchaman dub that ADV did, where it felt like it was in the 60's (throwing in slang like groovy) but with modern production values.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
I guess the big money question is: was any of the footage for Speed Racer cut? I know if you took the Star Blazers audio and laid it over the '77 version of Yamato, it would fall out of sync by the end of the episode, since there were small trims here and there.
There were definitely cuts made to violent scenes and to shorten the running time of each episode. A lot of dubs from this era were often cut up before the script and recording stage. I believe the English dialog may have been significantly rewritten.

Edit: From watching a comparison on Youtube, the dub does cut whole scenes of dialog.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:39 am Reply with quote
I did not see the Speedracer thing coming and not from Funimation at that !!! and since it´s the Japanese version it´s a whole other beast cause it isn´t edited english version.
This is the version it was suposse to be all along i never thought it would come out ofically in english cause the Dubbed version was kinda like declared holy but it´s gonna get his ass kicked now xd

This also makes it by far the oldest thing Funi has ever gotten especially if you ignore Akira and DragonBall it´s miles away from the other stuff they have not that i think they are ever gonna take anything like it again this was a special case.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
After hearing about Discotek's acquisitions further up in the weeks, I thought Speed Racer was on their list, but didn't expect Funimation to release it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5