• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Comics Adds Queen Emeraldas, Complex Age, Forget Me Not Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:47 am Reply with quote
Ah, thanks for that information lys. Decided to have a look, and if it is of a similar size, then I do have examples on hand. Namely, Demon from Afar from YenPress is slighty bigger than Vinland Saga volumes.

I also got the Cardcaptor Sakura omnibuses from DarkHorse, which are also a similar size. I'll be good if the size does end up in a similar range. Will make sure to check it out when the first volume is up for pre-order, think I will end up getting Complex Age.
SamusekTDS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Anyway, if they can bring over Emeraldas, why are they so stubborn about holding out on the last two volumes of Cromartie High? Crying or Very sad

Unless I missed something, only 12 volumes came out here of the 17. So there are 5 missing... and yeah I resorted to scanlation in the end but that's the one manga I wish someone had finished publishing here... Well that and ANYTHING ELSE EIJI NONAKA EVER DOES EVER.

As for Emeraldas:

I'm happy, but annoyed that its Kodansha and not someone like Vertical, who does classic manga right.

Kodansha (Kodansha USA, anyway...) = cheap paper, thin covers, shitty binding... the Clamp Omnibuses they put out are falling apart on me after one readthrough.

Also, the press release said "first volume", I would've hoped they'd be producing a copy of the "4-in-1" hardcover version recently put out in Japan and France. (see above re: garbage quality book production)
---
Sam.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't what bad experiences you've had with covers/paper quality, but all my Kodansha USA books are fine: I don't notice any difference in cover thickness or paper quality compared to other publishers. The only omnibus series I have from them is Vinland Saga (which is hardcover 2-in-1, like this one will be—so no chance of thin covers there) and the binding is fine on that. It's flexible enough to open and see the full page spread, leaves no wear on the outer spine.

I would guess that some omnibuses (especially for a rerelease) are done with thinner paper stock just to keep them from turning gigantic/unwieldy (the CLAMP ones you're talking about are 3-in-1 volumes, right? and cost as much as two single volumes, so you're getting a deal as it is). Viz's lower-priced 3-in-1s (for Jump/Shojo Beat series) seem to use thinner paper as well.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
More great manga entries for us to read. Looking forward to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2