• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Classic: Paranoia Agent

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, I remember this episode. It was always one of the standout episodes to me because while I was never one of the cool kids, I did know some cool kids who suffered falls like Yuichi's.

The pressure kids face is enormous. Sadly, it's a world hidden to most adults.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I personally enjoy the episodic reviews a lot. Reviewing an entire series does not allow the same level of depth and careful critical thought that one can get out of episodic reviews. You can notice and discuss small but important details and stylistic choices in an episodic review. You can discuss atmospherics and dialogue choices.

I am glad to see the classic episodic reviews, and hope ANN continues to do it with other classic shows. Paranoia Agent is definitely a towering presence for the current generation of anime fans, definitely deserving the title "classic" in every sense of the word. Also, the dub was outstanding in my opinion. You won't be disappointed Nick.

Totally agree with this. These should continue to be really interesting.
XakonXIV

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I seriously can't believe that despite having watched PA a grand total of three times, I've never drawn any parallels between episode 3 and Perfect Blue. The similarities are glaringly obvious!
Mad

Anyway, Nick's analysis today was both interesting and enjoyable to read, as always, although I do disagree about this episode being one of the weaker ones. I view the episode as a highlight personally, if only for it being one of the most effective ones in terms of horror and suspense (to me anyway), with the climax being one of my favourite moments in the entire series. But to each their own, I guess.

Oh, and this new review series is a brilliant idea, by the way. Really hope they become a recurring thing here on the site! Very Happy
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Nick Creamer wrote:
I almost got the sense that the story itself didn't much care for its protagonist - this felt the most emotionally removed of all three episodes so far, and though its questions of identity and paranoid seeking fit in line with the show's ideas so far, Harumi being such a distant figure made this episode feel more well-constructed in a formal sense than affecting in an emotional one.

It's not just that, but Kon really screws up here by criticizing a character who has an actual mental illness! On top of that, she is actually attempting to get over the problem, sees a psychiatrist, etc. Yet Kon still equates Harumi to Yuichi and other far more selfish and nasty characters in future episodes.

I dunno how else to really look at it other than a really messed up moral judgment of mental illness, unless one argues that it's somehow thematically different than much of the rest of the series. Of course, then you have to fault Paranoia Agent for being rather messy and muddled thematically...

Either way, I definitely agree that this is the weakest episode so far, and is definitely one of my least favorite episodes in the series. The first half of the series in general is uneven, but that makes it easier for these kind of episodic reviews.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I remember there was a for-fun class (but worth miscellaneous credit) where various TV shows were screened. They covered Paranoia Agent, which I was surprised about, and "Double Eyes" was the episode chosen.

I personally feel like there are better episodes to show, especially for a class that comprised largely of people who were unfamiliar with anime, let alone this series. (Either of the two episodes before this one, for instance.)
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But by the end of this episode, he's forced to concede that some crimes just might not make sense, and some criminals “might not have so many motives anymore.” “That's the kind of generation we're living in,” he continues, casting the blame for modern insecurity on the young people of today.

Reminds me of the central theme of No Country for Old Men: the lament of the elders who can't understand the modern world, where things have become more complicated and the things that used to make sense just don't make sense anymore. But in reality it was the man himself who had changed and his memories of yesteryear were heavily clouded with unrealistic nostalgia.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
It's not just that, but Kon really screws up here by criticizing a character who has an actual mental illness! On top of that, she is actually attempting to get over the problem, sees a psychiatrist, etc. Yet Kon still equates Harumi to Yuichi and other far more selfish and nasty characters in future episodes.

I dunno how else to really look at it other than a really messed up moral judgment of mental illness, unless one argues that it's somehow thematically different than much of the rest of the series. Of course, then you have to fault Paranoia Agent for being rather messy and muddled thematically...

Either way, I definitely agree that this is the weakest episode so far, and is definitely one of my least favorite episodes in the series. The first half of the series in general is uneven, but that makes it easier for these kind of episodic reviews.

I would say that Paranoia Agent's goal isn't to critique its various cast members as people. The themes in play are about modern society and culture, and the characters function as windows into different aspects of that culture. Harumi and Maria present a vision of a society where we cannot resolve a fundamental crisis of identity - where the far end of multiculturalism, connectedness and open-mindedness have fragmented us all into people so disparate that we barely recognize one another, and are thus at odds with each other and ourselves.

Harumi's mental illness is a dramatic shortcut, and it's not wrong to take umbrage with this portrayal. But this is one of those stories where it makes the most sense to think of the characters as symbols rather than people.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:

Spoilers for waaaay into the future, but I never felt that Kon was criticizing Harumi for having an alternate personality, but instead for spoiler[not being honest about it to her fiance. All the characters are criticized for using *something* as an emotional crutch and running away from their problems, rather than facing them. Harumi, though she rightfully seeks counseling, is very hesitant to trust her fiance, which is kind of a big deal when marriage is involved.] I feel like that was the point of Harumi's episode, not to illustrate that she's somehow demonized because of her mental illness, but that she's making the same basic mistake as all the other victims--and by extension, the rest of society.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Quote:
But by the end of this episode, he's forced to concede that some crimes just might not make sense, and some criminals “might not have so many motives anymore.” “That's the kind of generation we're living in,” he continues, casting the blame for modern insecurity on the young people of today.

Reminds me of the central theme of No Country for Old Men: the lament of the elders who can't understand the modern world, where things have become more complicated and the things that used to make sense just don't make sense anymore. But in reality it was the man himself who had changed and his memories of yesteryear were heavily clouded with unrealistic nostalgia.

Well done!
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
Harumi's mental illness is a dramatic shortcut, and it's not wrong to take umbrage with this portrayal. But this is one of those stories where it makes the most sense to think of the characters as symbols rather than people.

I do like your interpretation, and will admit it's been a while since I last saw it, so my opinion could change. Still, based on my memories of my multiple viewings, I'm not sure if I agree. Paranoia Agent seems chiefly concerned with (spoilers for the final three to four episodes) spoiler[self-induced victimhood, and how people escape to it when they cannot take on the responsibilities in their own lives. I believe in episode ten, Detective Ikari's wife outright says that Lil' Slugger is providing people a coward's way out of their problems. This isn't something the series is subtle about with its opening theme and the first episode with Tsukiko's lie. This is a fine theme, but feels a bit haphazardly applied to Harumi and later Taeko, when they are both victims of either things or people they cannot control (with Harumi you could say it's a different issue, but I'll discuss that in a reply to another poster). Their situations are remarkably different than Yuichi and Hirukawa, yet the bat hits them all the same. I don't think that kind of judgment is intended, but it's that kind rigidity makes it a thematic mess.]

whiskeyii wrote:
Spoilers for waaaay into the future, but I never felt that Kon was criticizing Harumi for having an alternate personality, but instead for spoiler[not being honest about it to her fiance. All the characters are criticized for using *something* as an emotional crutch and running away from their problems, rather than facing them. Harumi, though she rightfully seeks counseling, is very hesitant to trust her fiance, which is kind of a big deal when marriage is involved.] I feel like that was the point of Harumi's episode, not to illustrate that she's somehow demonized because of her mental illness, but that she's making the same basic mistake as all the other victims--and by extension, the rest of society.

Like I mention above, the issue I have with that is (episode six spoilers) spoiler[the brush stroke is so broad that Harumi's supposed mistake is equivocated to Yuichi's and Hirukawa's, which doesn't fit at all. And I don't know how Taeko fits into this. Her father is guilty of being a rapist and a thief. Harumi is guilty of not telling her husband about her mental illness. Taeko is guilty of... well, from what I remember, nothing. It really makes the thematic focus rather messy.]

Then there's the whole "Madonna-whore" cliche in episode three that's just feels lazy, especially compared to how Kon used it in Perfect Blue.

Great Rumbler wrote:
Quote:

It's something to keep in mind for later episodes.
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, this episode. I remember feeling the same way Nick felt when watching it for the first.time. It’s Paranoia Agent's weakest episode, but certainly much better if taken within context of what comes next. I hope Nick takes that into consideration for future episodes.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. In that sense, PA reminds me a bit of Utena; chock-full of stuff, so you kind of need that week in between to decompress and suss it all out, but probably best viewed in something closer to a binge-watch.
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked the RPG episode, one of my favorites.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, episode 5 is much better when viewed in the context of the next episode.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Lord was it creepy when that girl discovered spoiler[her own father was watching her undress]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8