• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Durarara!! ×2 The Second Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I never understood how a group with no rules or goals can even be considered a "group". It's basically saying "Hey let's make anarchy our thing and call it something else". But hey, if there are no rules, then there's nothing that says you can't covertly enforce your own secret rules. Others can do the same and when friction inevitably happens people will fight it out like ye olde days. Pretty simple. If anything it's the ultimate logical extension of the Dollars no rules policy..

There are many "sub-groups" or cliques within Dollars and they all do their own thing while undoubtedly following their own unspoken rules, as is the case in any society.
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6: B

spoiler[SHINRAAAAAA Anime cry]. This was a fairly good episode, gave a bit more development to the severely underdeveloped characters that are Ruri and Yodogiri. I'm glad they're going for Yodogiri to be a bit more threatening than he was in Shou, one of the reason's his arc in that just didn't work is because we didn't really know much about him, so his threats didn't really mean anything, at least with this Ruri backstory they're trying to rectify that.

Speaking of, I enjoy her character way more now than in shou. Her backstory really helped to give her a bit more depth. I still don't love her (And I still think Shizuo's brother is boring), but I at least look forward to more of her.

But if that preview is anything to go by, is next episode really the end of the arc already? I don't feel like I hate Adabashi enough yet, as much as it broke my heart, I don't feel like what happened this episode was enough to make him really hateable. I guess we'll see.

P.S. Walker and Erika, on behalf of everyone, I please ask you get better taste in Light Novels. Thank you in advance.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
P.S. Walker and Erika, on behalf of everyone, I please ask you get better taste in Light Novels. Thank you in advance.

That random appearance of Sword Art Online and Seishun Buta Yarō (from the writer-illustrator duo who made Sakurasō no Pet na Kanojo) was a nice moment, though Smile
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
I don't feel like I hate Adabashi enough yet, as much as it broke my heart, I don't feel like what happened this episode was enough to make him really hateable.

If beating Shinra isn't enough to make you hate a character I doubt anything will.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't deliveries usually in the morning? Come on, Shinra, peep holes first.

Ruri's past was finally unveiled, and I'm glad it's not a rape story. Gave Ruri some much needed development.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:24 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the author Ryohgo isn´t a fan of idols as he paints a pretty grim picture. Can´t say i disagree. The DRR manga has now fallen behind but is closer to the source material than the anime. They are pretty similar though and the 2 games also got adapted. I would advise anyone who doesn´t care about the LN format to have a look at them when all i said and done next year.

Am i correct that all the LN the anime directly "advertises" are owned by Media Works?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Am i correct that all the LN the anime directly "advertises" are owned by Media Works?

Yeah, just like all of the anime titles "advertised" in this show are produced and distributed by Aniplex. In Samurai Flamenco's case, however, I think the fact that it was also directed by Takahiro Ohmori had a lot to do with it.
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Random 21 wrote:
I don't feel like I hate Adabashi enough yet, as much as it broke my heart, I don't feel like what happened this episode was enough to make him really hateable.

If beating Shinra isn't enough to make you hate a character I doubt anything will.

Don't worry, after seeing how badly he beat Shinra this episode, my opinions certainly soured Anime cry

Anyway, Episode 7: B

It turns out this arc really was more about Mikado's sanity rather than Adabashi. Opinions on him aside, I don't feel like he ever felt as threatening as he should have. I mean sure, he was, but as soon as he really became anything truly threatening he was gotten rid of immediately after, and I honestly didn't really feel the tension in that scene (Besides the Mikado stuff because I just goddamn love all his scenes now).

The latter half of the episode was pretty much pure set up for the next arc, which seems to be about whatever Izaya has planned with that group by the looks of things. It was another fine episode, still can't help but feel he was underutilized but hey, he got a lot of good development out of the other characters, which is good enough for me.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, episode 7 was amazing! I really can't wait for more.

Also, no mention of Izaya's League of Evil? Those last shots really hyped me up. Let's see... I recognize Sloan, our stalker friend (who's obviously just lying there unconcious), the girl that tried to kill him, the other girl from the dojo, Niekawa... and some other people, who we may or may not know. Yup, sounds like an interesting group alright.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
My only gripe with this episode was that I felt like the scene where Celty gets home to find Shinra completely broken wasn't powerful enough, because of the pace and animation. I know she's supposed to be feeling desperate there, but it didn't really feel like it.
Other than that, Volume 8 was adapted pretty much perfectly, even though it was done in 3 and a bit episodes. Hopefully they keep this level of quality for Volume 9, since it's my favorite, and if they do this X2 Ten might even top the first season of Durarara!! for me.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 was pretty standard, solid DRRR flavor for me, but episode 7 really impressed me! It was chilling, emotional, suspenseful and intriguing in just the right ways. This season has turned Mikado from literally the dullest, least interesting character in the show into one of the most intriguing. For that alone this show deserves credit.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Surprised that they adapted Book 8 (the Adabashi arc) in just 3 episodes (and did it so well) instead of the usual 4. Does that mean if the next arc (Book 9, the Dragon Zombie arc) has just the usual 4 episodes given for its adaptation that this cour will end with the beginning of the 10th arc/book?
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
oh damn mikado you just uh... you got a little bit of... uh did you just... good job buddy

i must say im loving the new mikado, well as a viewer of course i wouldn't really want to be anywhere near mikado unless i was pulling his strings, even then he's still a dangerous factor,

im hoping that somewhere down the road mikado actually does something so unpredictable(and genius) that the 'jokers' of this serious are too shocked to even respond. although that is going to be far into the future if it ever occurs because regarding that last view we get of mikado: 'uh mikado buddy, u still got some crazy left on your face... actually alot of it... ok i lied none of it ever left your face'

Izaya on the other hand has me excited yet again, he's stirring up trouble once again (im silently praying that simon shows up at the end of all the trouble and clobbers him again Anime hyper)

and did anyone else think that celty's eyes are partially open again? im pretty sure it was closed completely in the beginning of S1 then partially opened as hell was breaking lose then close in the beginning of s2 and now its partially open... again

@hope
oh and uh minor typo at the end of review 7 you put blue scarves instead of blue squares, although i assume everyone understood
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 7: A-

This episode turned on my Durarara!! flame again, yeah! These episodes had the direction I was expecting all this time for Durarara to have again: New music debilerately paced, consistent animation despite the cheapness of it, and even a better balance of showing VS telling. This totally felt like an episode of the first season in that regard, and it was perfect for the scene with the stalker fight. I felt a lot of tension during that scene because the stalker is obviously strong (he beat up Shinra), but the tension wasn't directed at Anri or Ruri but Masaomi and Mikado, and boy did it hurt when he started beating the shit out of Mikado and you see the blood in his mask, I had Tokyo Ghoul vibes with Jason and Kaneki (but worse because Mikado never had been beaten up before [well, once, but that's it] so it's more disturbing, especially with his change). And that makes more "satisfying" (for their standards) to get rid of him, but then yeah the next scene happens and it's pretty sad.

In terms of Ruri, to be honest the best thing would have been to combine her Hollywood stick from volume 4 (a.k.a. first 4 episodes of x2 Shou) with this one, because they are so far from each other that now trying to flesh her out and remember us her stage where she was Hollywood feels a little out of place. However it's still much better than before and now I emphatize with her a lot. I'm glad she had her chance.

Also, now we know all the new members in the chatroom: Akabayashi, the gym leader, Saki, and Izaya again to spy. It's interesting how the chatroom started as some narrative tool to show internet's opinion but relating it to the main characters, and now it's probably going to be used as a literal weapon for information. And yes, the ending with all the dump of previous villains (plus some new ones like the gym's leader's sister, or Izumi [yes, Aoba's brother and previous Blue Squares' leader, blue scarf and burns in his face]) took me by surprise, this is going to go nuts.

P.S.: Shingen trying to learn in the gym to avenge his son is funny and cute Laughing
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Great episode. So glad Durarara!! is back to its full scale.

It seems Ruri's photo was leaked to the public. What does this mean? Somebody must be trying to hack the manager's computer.

And Izaya seems to have gathered his own force of contention. The girl that tried to murder him, three bikers, some girl with glowing eyes (looks a whole lot like Saika???), Sloan, Adabashi, some old man, guy with hammer and scarred face, and the girl from dojo. Interesting group. They were invited to the Dollars by Izaya by the looks of it. Does he have admin control?

Calsolum wrote:
and did anyone else think that celty's eyes are partially open again? im pretty sure it was closed completely in the beginning of S1 then partially opened as hell was breaking lose then close in the beginning of s2 and now its partially open... again

Yeah, I noticed that too. Trouble is brewing in Ikebukuro.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6