• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shirobako Tops Weekly Anime Blu-ray Chart for 1st Time

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Deserved every sale and more. Best anime that ended this year so far
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
This was the volume with the 7th Aerial Squad OVA right? I imagine that helped bolster the sales.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
Is there a lot of girl's love vibes in this show in the style ok K-ON?
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Not really, but I didn't think there was much of it in K-On either.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Not at all, I never even saw anyone mention yuri when this show was airing.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:35 am Reply with quote
This volume also comes with the first episode of the show-within-a-show The Third Girls Aerial Squad, so it might have helped sales.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
Can't wait till this comes out over here. Smile

Though I am surprised by the lack of merchandise/figures for this series when it is selling pretty well. Even though there might be a reason for this volumes increase in sales the series is selling pretty well overall.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
Every single volume's first week sales topped the previous? That's quite unusual. Must indicate some amazing word of mouth, as people pick up earlier volumes after the initial week. It is a great show, but I'm still surprised.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
I'm very ecstatic that Shirobako has fared so well on its first week. Very Happy I find it to be a very fun show.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Every single volume's first week sales topped the previous? That's quite unusual. Must indicate some amazing word of mouth, as people pick up earlier volumes after the initial week. It is a great show, but I'm still surprised.

I found that surprising as well, but those first-week sales aren't indicative of the overall sales for each instalment which have fallen slightly with each successive release. Volume 1 sold over 15,000 copies; Volume 6 released last May sold about 13,700.

Those are still pretty stunning figures for a slice-of-life show with no fanservice and no action.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

IIRR there were some stock problems with the first two or three volumes because of badly underestimated demand, and it took a while for the suppliers to catch up. Sales estimates for Shirobako Volume 1 were tracking at around 4500 copies in early December, and it ultimately ended up selling over 15,000. If you look at the total sales for each volume you still see the expected decline, although it's not as steep as many other series (at last update before v7's release, v1 was highest at 15,630, and v6 was lowest at 14,407).
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
It just got lucky, thats all.
Its not not like its sales went up.

Kadmos1 wrote:

K-on only had 1 or so mention of Mugi being a yuri fangirl. So I have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by Rederoin on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
I watched the first few episodes of this show and I had the impression that there was no underlying plot because it seemed really episodic. I couldn't like any of the characters because they are mundane, not in the sense that they are bland, but they are almost like the boring people in the real world. I have read in comments and reviews that this show is about the crisis people encounter in this sort of industry, whether working in a company or as a freelancer (the feature written by Nick Creamer), but to me, none of those crisis seemed significant because the show was laden with attempted-humor and characters that just makes you think "is this guy for real?". Overall, I thought the concept of the show was surprisingly full of potential, but I think they could have toned down on the silly parts.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
I watched the first few episodes of this show and I had the impression that there was no underlying plot because it seemed really episodic. I couldn't like any of the characters because they are mundane, not in the sense that they are bland, but they are almost like the boring people in the real world. I have read in comments and reviews that this show is about the crisis people encounter in this sort of industry, whether working in a company or as a freelancer (the feature written by Nick Creamer), but to me, none of those crisis seemed significant because the show was laden with attempted-humor and characters that just makes you think "is this guy for real?". Overall, I thought the concept of the show was surprisingly full of potential, but I think they could have toned down on the silly parts.
Don't let the first few episodes hold you down, just try not to hate the show from the get go, trust me, I'm pretty sure everyone felt the same way you do when it started airing but as it keeps going it gets better and better and better, everything you're looking for comes later.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

Because of stock problems, at first. The total has always gone down between volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2