• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Eras of Japanese History via Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I have to give a little shoutout for Oh! Edo Rocket, listed as an alternate for the Edo period. This is a zany and often hilarious sci-fi story set right after the institution of the Tenpou Reforms which banned public entertainments. The anime was adapted by Mizushima Seiji and Madhouse from a stage play by Nakashima Kazuki, the screenwriter for Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann.

Like Samurai Champloo, Oh! Edo Rocket! is full of anachronisms, but they're obvious in a fourth-wall-violating way that I assume must be derived from the stage play. And it brings us the origins of shouting "Tamaya! Kagiya!" to fireworks.

It's a delightful series.

Thanks very much for the reminder of Hyouge Mono. I must check it out.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Except for Kenshin, which I obsessed over in college to the point of taking a Japanese History class, and Shonen Onmyouji, which my club got about 2/3 through, I've only sampled most of these, hummingbird-like. All the shows mentioned seemed interesting though, and this gives me reason enough to put them back on my to-watch list.

As to the band poll, I love "Making the Band" type anime series (maybe that should be a List), especially the rock ones. Beck would be my #1 choice, except that I vastly prefer the English remix Funi did over the "Engrish" Japanese original (hands-down their best musical work). Shame they were never able to release a proper CD of the English version.

I still listen regularly to singles from the Gravitation soundtrack (from in-series bands Bad Luck & Nittle Grasper, esp the tracks "Bird" and "Sleepless Beauty") some 15 years later, so that's got to be my choice.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I know so little about Japanese history, some of these eras I had never heard of until this list (especially the more modern ones). Our history classes were either U.S. history (or parts of it, even), European history (which skipped decades and sometimes even centuries), or world history (too many civilizations on this planet, so it pretty much turned into European history too). When they DID cover Asia, it was pretty much just the Yellow Emperor, the Huns, and the Mongols, and maybe Oda Nobunaga as far as pre-imperialism goes. (After that, all bets are off.)

That being said, I didn't really become interested in history until college. Before then, history is a required class, and the teachers know most of their students aren't interested. There are also standardized tests for them to pass, so it just becomes stating facts, then reciting them in tests. The classes amounted to a series of "In location A on year B, person C did act D" until the next test, where you then had to show the teacher you remembered 70% or more of that. With college, you get mainly people who ARE interested in history, and the instructor sets the rules, so you get history teachers who are very good at telling interesting stories, and you knowing they really happened. That being said, history classes in college that weren't U.S. history or European history were rare, and with European history, it was predominantly ancient and medieval European history. There WERE classes for history majors that were more specialized, of course, but they tended to have U.S. or European history as prerequisites, meaning a non-major would need a lot of dedication to squeeze four or five classes in between their major's required classes before getting to the stuff they wanted to learn. At that point, such a person would probably at least minor in history.

In any case, I noticed the Sengoku period in this article was basically "This was Nobunaga's period." For more on what happened, Extra History did really detailed coverage of the Sengoku Jidai conflict:

Part 1 - Battle of Okehazama
Part 2 - Siege of Inabayama Castle
Part 3 - Warrior Monks of Hongan-ji and Hiei
Part 4 - The Death of Oda Nobunaga
Part 5 - How Toyotomi Unified Japan
Part 6 - The Campaign of Sekigahara
Epilogie - Lies

Blue21 wrote:
The Arceus movie in last place? Shame, I think it's the last good Pokemon movie, and the best one of Gen IV.

I feel like the votes ultimately broke down to which ones people saw. Mewtwo Strikes Back was the iron struck when at its hottest, and there had been diminishing returns with viewership since. The ones from Pokémon Heroes and onwards have been pretty low-profile releases, which would translate to low votes.

Covnam wrote:
For the previous poll, I only saw the first two movies, but the first I can still remember the general plot, while I can't remember anything about the plot of second movie other than a Slowking. Plus the first movie has Mew, so that one would have gotten my vote. The second movie did have some good music though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S--8tGsJtC8

I cannot hear that song without thinking about Herman Cain reciting its lyrics in the 2012 U.S. presidential race. Only when he was eliminated from the running did he admit he got it from a Pokémon movie.

The Daily Show went to town with that.

Lord Dcast wrote:
Most pokemon movies have a guy saying 'I will take over the world', but Darkrai instead has 'people will die if we don't stop this'. Not really an evil guy in that movie, thankfully.

Still at least we can all agree that the worst generation movie-wise was gen 5.

Yeah, the Darkrai movie was my second-favorite as, for the first time in a while, the morality was gray-and-gray.

SaiyamanMS wrote:
The Best Wishes films were certainly weaker than the previous ones and I was fairly unimpressed by the Diancie film as well. Hopefully Hoopa will be better? I don't have high hopes for it though.

Come to think of it, Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction is not on the list of results. Or did it not get enough votes? That movie killed off Pikachu! How is that not a big deal? (Well, besides Xerneas bringing him back from the dead.)
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Trapnest. I love Nana, but from what I can remember I enjoyed Olivia Insp' Reira's songs more than the Black Stones songs.

It was a really tough poll this week, and not because it had too many entries, which is a good thing.

Really liked the List, too. Informative and interesting!
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
However I'm more surprised that the warren states era from inuyasha isnt even on this list. talk about EPIC FAIL!

"Warring states" is just another name for the Sengoku era, which is on the list.
Inuyasha never tries for historical accuracy, but it seems to be set when Oda Nobunaga was alive and active (He is mentioned in one episode).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
"Warring states" is just another name for the Sengoku era, which is on the list.

I always thought the term "Warring States" was applied to this period in Japanese history because the term had earlier been used to describe a similar Chinese internecine conflict that began around 475 BCE and lasted over two centuries.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
I like the timing of this poll, because I was just watching the K-ON movie last week, and during the classroom concert scene I was thinking how cool it would've been to be in the room. As someone who cut my musical teeth on 80s speed and thrash metal, though, I had to vote for Death Devil. I like the full versions of every Death Devil song, the wedding concert in s2 is one of my favorite scenes, and I love the opening of the movie with the HTT girls jamming to "Hikari"; headbanger!Mugi is one of the best things ever.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Tempted by Egoist. Girls Dead Monster would be good too, but wouldn't I have to be dead to see them? That would suck! But, in the end, I had to go with the S Orchestra! Nodame all the way!
48 Rices

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
felt bad the vote is over though.. might want to go to DMC/HTT concerts if they actually exists Laughing

Hyouge Mono, eh? It's quite a different apporach for a sengoku era tale as it doesn't focus on the battles but more to the dramas behind the commander of the army.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee Lamb wrote:
Quote:
...(Otogi Zoshi)...The anime's setting and characters is mix of the medieval novels that it takes its name from;

Actually, Otogizōshi, which the anime takes its name from, are short stories.
I have read Otogizōshi in the original.
I also have an out-of-print compilation of Otogizōshi which was compiled by Professor Shimazu Hisamoto and was published in 1936. In the book, for example, the 'Issunbōshi' otogizōshi occupies only 4 pages.

Professor Shimazu Hisamoto wrote:
Quote:
 御伽草子の名義は、普通、狹義には文正草子・鉢かづき以下二十三篇の各同體裁繪入橫板本の叢書――一名御伽文庫とも稱せられてゐる。――乃至その各篇に與へられてゐるが、更に廣義にはこれに准ずる同類の作品にまで擴大して、それらの汎稱としても用ゐられる。卽ち主として室町時代から江戶時代初世へかけて行はれた通俗短篇小說の一群が包括される便宜的な稱呼で、その名の示す如く、――但し何時頃稱呼が用ゐ初められたか詳らかでない。――婦幼童蒙の讀み物であり慰めであり同時に敎へでもあつた。

Dr Ichiko Teiji wrote:
Quote:
以上、御伽草子の概略を述べたが、なおその特色に就いて二三付記しておきたいと思う。まず鎌倉時代までの物語と比べて相違しているところはこれらが短篇だということである。

広義の御伽草子は、大体三、四十ページの短篇で、制作年時は明らかでない。

Iwanami Shōjiten Nihonbungaku -Koten- says:
Quote:
【御伽草子】 室町期の小説23篇を享保(1716~1723)の頃あつめて叢刊した折に冠せられた称呼が、そのまま室町期の通俗的短篇小説の総称になった。

I find it difficult to understand that the Anime News Network staffer does not even know such a rudimentary thing about Japanese literature and that she cannot properly do research on such a rudimentary thing.

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
What I find difficult to understand is why someone who is clearly fluent in Japanese and English would not translate their quoted sources for an English language forum. If they are the support for your argument, your argument becomes this, courtesy of Google Translate:

Professor Shimazu Hisamoto wrote:
Fairytale book of the name is, usually, each same 體裁 example input 橫板 book of Monographs of Soshi-pot Katsuki following twenty-three Hen Wen to 狹義 - one person fairy paperback with the 稱 Serra is in Iru. - Or that each hen in gave spatula is in the Iru, but even in HiroshiYoshi by 擴大 up to the likes of works Junzuru to this, is Tewi use even as their Hiroshi稱.卽Chi primarily convenient 稱呼 a group of popular short stories small 說 was swollen row is comprehensive over from the Muromachi period to Jiang 戶時 bills first world, as indicated by its name, - 稱呼 are beginning Tewi use is around but what time Taka not Tsumabiraka. - Atsuta even to women is a reading of the young Domo is a comfort at the same time teaching.

Dr Ichiko Teiji wrote:
Although outlined the fairytale book, still I think I want to twenty-three wipe For information on the feature. When first is different compared to the story to the Kamakura period is that they're Short.

Broad fairytale book is, roughly three, in the short story of forty pages, the time of production year is not clear.

Iwanami Shōjiten Nihonbungaku -Koten- wrote:
[Fairytale book] are collected around the time of the Muromachi period of novel 23 Hen Kyoho (1716-1723) referred to was Glorious to fold that you plexus published has become a generic term for popularly Short Stories of as the Muromachi period.

My main takeaway from that is that during the Muromachi period, chickens used spatulas, and it was Glorious.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What I find difficult to understand is why someone who is clearly fluent in Japanese and English would not translate their quoted sources for an English language forum.

Lynzee Lamb has insisted that Crystalyn Hodgkins and Egan Loo are fluent in Japanese. She has also said that JLPT N2 is the bare minimum.
The Japanese texts would be sufficient for Anime News Network staffers, if they were actually fluent in Japanese. w

leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
What about us, the readers?
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What about us, the readers?

They're clearly only posting in order to point out mistakes made in articles.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What I find difficult to understand is why someone who is clearly fluent in Japanese and English would not translate their quoted sources for an English language forum.

Lynzee Lamb has insisted that Crystalyn Hodgkins and Egan Loo are fluent in Japanese. She has also said that JLPT N2 is the bare minimum.
The Japanese texts would be sufficient for Anime News Network staffers, if they were actually fluent in Japanese. w

But she never claimed that she herself was fluent, nor that all ANN staffers are fluent in Japanese. What, are you expecting her to ask the people you mentioned to translate your argument for her? And if this is just between you and her, why post on the forum instead of PMing her?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6