• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Bomb Threat to Precure Film Screening on Twitter

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"I envied how the characters in the movie are always happy, bright, and forward-looking with all their hearts. My fond feelings for them turned into jealousy."
Really buddy? You're going to threaten a theater with people because your jealous over fictional characters?Yeah okay.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
BAKA!
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:05 am Reply with quote
You don't throw bombs in a movie where only a couple of 40 heroines have lines.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
Idiot.

This is why fandom can't have nice things!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
The most surprising item in this article (given past responses to more vague threats) was that they proceeded with the screening.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
How seriously we take these threats over online threats on site like FB or Twitter is beyond me. By this logic, every online threat taken seriously.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
How sad a man can be to envy fictional characters?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
Somehow, I thought that would be the reason, but it is still really sad that whatever negative feelings he had towards fictional characters translated into threats against real people.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
By this logic, every online threat taken seriously.

I think that only specific threats need to be taken seriously.
If somebody simply writes "I'll kill you" I doubt that anything happens, except that it might be recorded in a file for that person. If he says "I'm going to stab you at your handshake event on Sept 3" that would be treated a bit differently.

When somebody says that he planted bombs in a specific theater for a specific movie that has to be taken seriously.

I think that the main reason that just making the threat is a crime is because it does have to be investigated, which can require a lot of time and money that could be put to better use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
@Touma
A threat is against the law because of the negative effects it can have on the person or persons threatened. Just because a threat is against an organization or was posted on line doesn't make it less of an offense.

From Wikipedia
In common law, assault is the act of creating apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact with a person. An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm.

You will note that you don't have to actually harm someone to be guilty of assault. (That is the battery part of assault and battery) The reference to common law means it has always been this way (or at least as far back as records go). The only reason some threats are not prosecuted is because they lack the "apparent, present ability to cause the harm".
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
If anything, this man should be accused of piss poor taste for even being jealous of a terrible CG movie. He needs help to get his taste and life together.
#Foreverfizz8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
If anything, this man should be accused of piss poor taste...

Would you like a bandaid for that burn?

I myself found it so weird that a 22 year old man would even look into a movie like this. Not only that, but jealous? That's like me saying I'm jealous of Dora's sense of adventure so I shot up the animator's studio.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
#Foreverfizz8 wrote:
I myself found it so weird that a 22 year old man would even look into a movie like this. Not only that, but jealous? That's like me saying I'm jealous of Dora's sense of adventure so I shot up the animator's studio.

Or even our own "Let's (commit any creatively imaginable atrocity upon) Barney and/or the Teletubbies for being so goofy and annoying!" jokes which have been old for about twenty years.
Given PreCure is currently the big mainstream kids' franchise, there's one thing about cynically joking about a happy and unstoppable pop-culturally overexposed mass-market property driving you up the wall, and actually taking it seriously as some deep personal issue.

If the Japanese would just encourage a little more individuality, it would help the Nuts get over themselves a little more.
Blue21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
#Foreverfizz8 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
If anything, this man should be accused of piss poor taste...

Would you like a bandaid for that burn?

Precure has a pretty significant fandom of adult males in Japan.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
The guy definitely needs help.

But you don`t translate your jealously to blind rage. Even if it was just a threat, you can never be to lenient on these kinds of things.

Considering the history of public violence. Because if it actually happened the switch would occur and everyone would blame those who didn`t do anything when it was just a threat.

People are just trying their best to do something. I Hope this guy eventually changes his ways and gets some form of help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1