• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Cat's Meow-nga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
For me it's hard to think about cats in anime and manga without immediately defaulting to Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki. Although perhaps it's just corrupted my mind more than anything, since its appeal is less on the natural behaviour of cats and more on the exploitable novelty of a fuzzy sphere. I haven't read the manga, but the anime was a perfect vehicle for Akitaro Daichi's fast-paced, feel-good sense of humour, and probably the best use of the three minute format I've seen. Not to mention that Poyo himself is fairly positive representation for the gay feline population!
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
My sons have named most all our cats over the years, my oldest boy's cat is a big black long hair female with vivid green eyes named Midori ( Green ). So, no you aren't unusual at all.

Mark Gosdin
amcnulty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I named my cat Luna. I wonder how many anime fans have named their afters anime characters?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Cat Diary is licensed though, Kodansha is putting it out right before Halloween.
lem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Omg, I loved Neko Pitcher. Do they only have strips 1 and 66? oO They made it sound like they were offering it weekly, but I can't find any links on the page to get to other than 1 and 66. :/
navycherub

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I am also a fan of Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki, which you can easily find on Crunchyroll. It ran for a solid and funny 52 three-minute episodes and I always recommend it to people who have gotten through a lot of Chi's Sweet Home and need more.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I like Wata no Kuni Hoshi (Star of Cottonland), but I guess that doesn't count since Chibineko (and her cat friends) appear as humans to the audience.

And yeah there's Ohayo! Spank and Guru Guru Pon-chan for dog manga. OH and Silver Fang/Ginga Nagareboshi Gin
NotAnEvaClone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
amcnulty wrote:
I named my cat Luna. I wonder how many anime fans have named their afters anime characters?

We named only two of our cats after anime characters ( Straight Cougar & Integra), but all of our dogs are named after various anime personalities (Carrot, Tsume, Alucard, Maya, and Aya.
Got a hamster named Mako Mankanshoku.
Anime gives awesome names to pick from! ^^
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I have a ginger tabby names "Butters" after the South Park character. When we first got her, my sister was dating a huge SP fan and he kind of ended up naming the cat and it stuck. She's totally my bestie and is like a siamese twin with me at home. It's like I'm her giant, personal bed or something.
But we've given stranger names to cats before. A friend commented on one cat we were trying to name, pointing out his milk mustache (black and white cat), so he was named "Got-Milk". And we had a grey ball of fluff and all you see was fur and face, so "Fuzz Face" somehow became the name.

As for cat manga, I really do adore What's Michael?, which I look at and go "god, that's so true!" On the other hand, I really couldn't get into Chi's Sweet Home, which just felt like the same joke one too many times to me and I didn't like Chi's constant wide-eyed look. But I very much look forward to Junji Ito's Cat Diary, because I love cats and Junji Ito and I think his tendency to make non-horror things also look like horror things should be hilarious in its own way.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Awww, congrats on seven happy years with your two cats! I hope you have many more together :D

Cats!! I love them (so much). And cat manga is great and I am thrilled it is its own genre and thrilled also that more of it is coming out in English now! I've found a few western cat comics(/graphic novels) that don't follow the snarky anthropomorphizing tradition of the newspaper strips but go for a more anecdotal, reality-based approach that shows cats are plenty charming and funny just as they are: Jeffrey Brown's Cats are Weird and Cat Getting Out of a Bag overwhelmed my heart with delight the moment I saw them, and at this year's TCAF I lived up to my identity as crazy-cat-comic-fan by picking up Cat Person from Koyama Press and Counter Attack! self-published by artist Alisa Harris. (In webcomics, Johnny Wander also occasionally features cats!)

I hadn't heard of Cat Pitcher but the idea of it reminded me of good ol' Neko Ramen... Thanks for that bit of weirdness, Tokyopop. Milkyway Hitchhiking is a rather charming (and also gorgeously illustrated) Korean cat comic with a fantasy spin.

My two current cats are Finny (the name he came with: I liked it) and Josephine (the name of the tanuki/"dog" in And Yet the Town Moves); my parents' cat bears the name Marron, from my now distant DBZ fangirl days... (her adoptive sister was named Chibi, but I was always quick to point out that I hadn't chosen that name, despite being the anime-nerd of my family; another sibling or parent learned the term from me and decided it suited her. I like a bit of subtlety (or at least the illusion that it could be a regular name) in my nerdy references.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Eleven years ago, the week before Christmas, a small black cat followed my wife and her sister as they walked. When they came to a busy street they picked her up and she has been with us ever since. We thought she was a kitten because of her size but the vet estimated her at nine months old. She is still small at about seven pounds.

After the vet gave us an OK for her to mix with our then existing cat, Henry, I was given the task of naming her. I looked at the anime shelves and a name jumped out at me. So Noir she is.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
Guru Guru Pon-chan

Laughing This series came into my purview recently, after seeing an ad in one of the manga I recently bought.

Can it really be considered a dog manga? I've thought about checking it out, but it just seems like something that'd have more human Ponta than dog Ponta. Is there a lot of dog behaviour?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Guru Guru Pon-Chan is a dog story only by courtesy. It is mostly weird. The human Pon-Chan does act like a dog when stressed. But this is not a story about a dog being a dog. A perfect girl friend if you want someone completely submissive.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I remember "What's Michael?" from Mangajin, too. Good times.

For dogs, there's "Massugu de Ikou," which got an nice-looking but IMO boring anime.

And while not anime, I think any cat lover should at least check out the "Simon's Cat" animated shorts on YouTube. Here's a taste.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3