• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Starting to take care of duplicate staff tasks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
副監督
Here's one I've found isn't in the translation table yet. I think it should be "Assistant Director" as with 助監督, but 副 seems to have a wider variety of potential translations. I would see how NISA translated it for Takaharu Okuma in Yuruyuri (if they did), though I don't have the Blu-ray on hand at the moment (it's with a relative). Also, is "Assistant Director" important enough to be a primary staff credit (it's currently not)?

AFAIK in Japanese 副- is usually a higher in level and authority than 助- as a prefix in job titles. 副- is more like "vice," "deputy," or "associate," who is expected to work independently when necessary, while 助- (assistant) is not expected to do the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
The changing of staff titles with seasons in Prisma Illya has made for another really confusing problem with チーフディレクター being translated the same as 総監督:

総監督 - 大沼心(第2期)
監督 - 大沼心(第1期)→神保昌登(第2期)
チーフディレクター - 坂本隆、湊未來(第1期)

People who look at the English translation may think Oonuma replaced Sakamoto and Minato as "Chief Director", when he really had a higher position than them already in the first season.

It's a hard problem to solve, though. Can't think of any particularly neat solution. Braves mentioned above that he entered チーフディレクター as "Chief Episode Director" for Mawaru Penguindrum, which may be a somewhat workable solution, but how similar or not are the the ディレクター tasks to 演出 (which is more usually shown as "episode director": both チーフ演出 and シリーズ演出 come up from time to time)?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
New task to be translated:
ファッションデザイン => Fashion Design
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
キーアニメーター
This is literally "key animator", but translating this full-series task as such confuses it with the episodic 原画 that is officially translated "Key Animation".

I'm thinking the メインアニメーター (Main Animator) task that appears is some series may be the same thing (it sounds like the same thing to me at least) so that may be a feasible translation choice if they are.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
According to JWPce, 原画 means "original picture." Given how animation is done, I agree with it being "Key Animation." (When animating, the "key" frames are drawn, the ones that block out the main parts of the scene, and then inbetweens are done to bridge them).

Has 原画 and キーアニメーター ever been used in the same title? If not, I'd assume that they're the same role.

As for メインアニメーター, without context, I can't even begin to figure out what that is. Key drawings are important, of course, but I'd think "main" animator would be more like "head" animator, and being the one overseeing the other animators. But I know that that's also another role.
soaker87

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
Here's an example of キーアニメーター and 原画 being used in the same series: http://seesaawiki.jp/w/radioi_34/d/やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。続

When I was inputting the credits, I just left キーアニメーター out, because I wasn't sure if there was a difference. But the people credited for that were also credited for 原画, sometimes even in the same episode. It's mysterious.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
So many levels of animator in the credits for SNAFU TOO...

They seem to be listed by rank.

総作画監督:Chief Animation Director
作画監督:Animation Director
作画監督補佐:Assistant Animation Director
キーアニメーター: Key Animator
原画: Original Picture (Key animation)

Kinda looks like they took the English phrase that we use for Genga and reverse imported it and applied it to a task somewhere between 原画 and 作画監督(補佐).

feel. is the animation producer on SNAFU, maybe this is a new practice unique to them? I checked some of their newer titles on livedoor, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Based on livedoor search results, メインアニメーター looks to primarily be credited in the OP of a show, for an animator who goes on to have several to many episodic credits for things like Key Animator, (Assistant) Animation Director, Action Animation Director, Animation Assistance, End Cards, Eye Catches, 2nd Key Animation... Just sounds like an animator that the director might particularly like or trust, and they do whatever needs to be done, or is too important or difficult for just anybody to do.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Kinda looks like they took the English phrase that we use for Genga and reverse imported it and applied it to a task
[...]
Based on livedoor search results, メインアニメーター looks to primarily be credited in the OP of a show

The OP credits rarely if ever change through the series and implies a higher level position and/or one that applies to all episodes; the Chief Sakkan may be in the OP but the individual episodic Sakkan won't. This tends to point towards "key" as in "important" rather than "key" as in "keyframe", akin to メイナニメーター (e.g. in Uta Kata) as mentioned by EB.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
This tends to point towards "key" as in "important" rather than "key" as in "keyframe"

Yeah, that's what I was getting at: that the "key" means something different in the all-katakana job.

One piece of evidence for "Main Animator" and "Key Animator" being equivalent (that I just now remembered): In Prisma Illya season one, there are キーアニメーター credits in the OP, but in Prisma Illya 2wei (both seasons) メインアニメーター appears instead. It's in the exact same position in the credits (after the action directors/supervisors), and there are at least two people (Kazuya Hirata and Kazuyuki Yamayoshi) from the former position who hold the latter position in the following seasons.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
アドバイザー => Advisor
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Here is one with both メインアニメーター and キーアニメーター credits. Google says there are 261 shows where this happens. (Long url, hopefully the whole thing copied.)

I think we need :

メインアニメーター = Main Animator
キーアニメーター = Key Animator
原画 = Key Animation

Who knows what the specific differences are between a "Key Animator" and "Main Animator" are, but they seem to be distinct. One problem I foresee is if I am entering credits in English, people are going to have to be careful, and it's not guaranteed that people will even know that there is a difference between the two.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Here is one with both メインアニメーター and キーアニメーター credits. Google says there are 261 shows where this happens. (Long url, hopefully the whole thing copied.)

Some of the results don't actually have the entire term, and some are from searches rather than individual entries. I tried using quotes to narrow down the search, and only four relevant entries come up.

One is Prisma Illya Zwei, which has "Key Animator" (in ep 1, which I did not check to see was different above) change to "Main Animator" (in the following episodes), with the exact same same people credited. That would reinforce my point on similarity.

With Soul Eater and Heaven's Lost Property, though, it does look like they are undoubtedly distinct with different people credited ("Main Animator" looking like a slightly "higher" position there).

With SNAFU 2, it looks like Key Animator is credited by episode, though it's the same two people every episode, and those people are also credited as "Main Animator" (in the OP credits, but with three additional people).

I'm fine with unmerging "Key Animator" from "Key Animation", though there needs to be a way in the aftermath to easily find entries where both tasks are used, so those that are just inconsistent uses for 原画 can be properly sorted.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
I'm fine with unmerging "Key Animator" from "Key Animation", though there needs to be a way in the aftermath to easily find entries where both tasks are used, so those that are just inconsistent uses for 原画 can be properly sorted.

Surely Dan has a way. I've noticed that on mouseover of the task for people who I entered the credits for in Japanese, the task appears in Japanese. And in an error report, the task is shown as it was entered initially.

mine
not mine

So the original information as it was entered is stored in mint condition, with the wrapper still on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10