• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I think I'll just buy Volume 17 and then hold off until I can get a hold of those. I'm really excited though, that means I get to finish FB before I would have following the English releases. I always hated how slow Tokyopop was.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Only thing is I don't know how many they have out right now, since I haven't been back there at all in the past year, but who knows.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:46 am Reply with quote
Ok, I've moved from home these couple of days and I thought that the discussions for the third volume have begun. Shocked So, kind sir, mister fighterholic, would you like to begin? Please, pretty please, with cherry on top? Very Happy

Btw, nice Ningensei! Japan... I think that you can't wait for it to begin!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I will start it either tomorrow or Wednesday, kind of having to take care of a final and work, and re-reading volume 3, but I'll make sure to get to it this week.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Hello, my name is LydiaDianne and, with fighter's blessing, I will be your host for this discussion of Fruits Basket Volume #3.

Good Evening and Welcome to our show!

We start off this volume by really seeing Haru. Of course, his intro, like many others of the Sohma is a bit quirky. Haru is being spoiler[admired by several girls who think he's HAWT!...but then, the entire look is ruined by the fact that he hops on a bicycle and rides off ringing it's bell!]

Which brings us to the Endurance Run! Kyo, of course, goes over the top and makes it a battle between himself and Yuki. Hana goes very dramatic with her running technique! Very Happy

And during this, Tohru meets Haru and can only watch, stunned, as Haru trips up Kyo just as he's beginning to pass Yuki. I like how Haru turns to us and says spoiler["Doing this is very dangerous. Anyone other than Kyo would not get away with just a scrape...so please, don't try that at home..."] This was also done in the anime. Very clever!

Then we get to meet Black Haru, which is Haru but really really twisted! And with snarky comments and actions! And BH "talks' about what he'd do to Tohru...which, pisses Kyo off even though he doesn't understand why. And the fight is on! Of course, it stops when Yuki spoiler[collapses and the group must get him home before he changes into the Rat.] And that's how we learn that Haru is a member of the Zodiac and what he turns into. Of course, when they get home, Shigure has to make comments about Yuki's spoiler['noble steer, I mean steed!"]

Then we learn that Haru had hated Yuki when they were younger because of the adults teasing him and saying that he was stupid because spoiler[the Rat rode the Ox to the Banquet.] We also see that Yuki with words not action help Haru get past that personal pain.

In this volume we are also introduced to Mayu (their Homeroom teacher). But, at this time, we don't know that she, too, has been involved with the Sohmas.

In Chapter 15, Kyo is saying that he hates Yuki and likes hating him. Shigure responds spoiler["I wonder why? You speak as if you're obligated to hate him. But your eyes...your eyes tell a different story. The tell me that you're afraid to find out."] Afterwards, Shigure says that he was irritated and pushed too hard. I think that we are seeing that Shigure doesn't like that the boys don't get along and that he's trying to do something about it.

Tohru also realizes that there is something deeply hurt inside of Kyo. Something that she may not be able to understand or fix. But, she does only what she can do...be by his side, ready to listen when he's ready to talk.

We also get to meet in this volume Shigure's poor, poor editor (Micchan) and what he does to torment the poor girl. Being Shigure's editor is obviously pure Hell. I wonder how many he's gone through...

In Chapter 16, Shigure and Hatori sit and discuss Shigure's plot, which at this time, we are not really sure what it is but we do know that he is/going to/trying to use Tohru for some reason. And here we see Shigure say that spoiler[If I can make it happen, I won't feel guilty about the means to that end. Even if someone gets hurt in the process. There are times when I hate myself for it. Especially when I see Tohru-kun. It's not what you think, she really is...a good kid." Then he refers to himself as the Filthiest on and the most cursed of "all of us"] I think that he means that while what he is doing/going to do is a necessity, he doesn't like the way he is having to go about doing it.

Hatori responds spoiler["Whatever result this may bring about, make sure you're ready for it...I'm not going to be on your side. But I won't be your enemy either...I'm just as dirty as you are."] In that final part, I think that he's referring to the fact that he's the one who has to erase memories from those who learn the Curse of the Sohmas. Or that he's letting Shigure go forward with his plan. Or both for that matter.

This is also the volume where the group goes to the Hot Springs at the invitation of Momiji. The boys learn that Tohru spent the money for her school trip on the chocolates she made for them on Valentine's day. Kyo gets angry with her for doing so but manages to keep it under control until she leaves the room. That's a real start for Kyo in growing up. Don't you think so? And Momiji tells the story about the traveller who ends up giving all of himself away. And we see how that story is like Tohru in that she's gives of herself unselfishly and without asking for anything in return.

On the arrival to the Hot Spring, we get to meet the mother of one of the Zodiac that we haven't met yet. And boy o boy is SHE over the top! But, she is fun and in her own weird way, is very loving and keeps the boys in line. And we learn, much to Tohru's shock, that Momiji will be starting High School!

This is a great volume, we learn tantalizing tidbits about certain things that confuse us at the time but become much clearer as the volumes progress.

Okay, gang! Read up and let us know your thoughts! CHARGE!
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
In this volume I liked Chapter 16 because it show dark side of Shigure Smile During discussion between Shigure and Hatori we have a second hint that Shigure love someone and he still love that person. How we know later it is revealed that this person is spoiler[Akito. Although, the fact that Shigure loved Akito before she was born seems far-fetched but oh well It's no use crying over spilt milk.] Not bad volume, a lot of Shigure and artwork was nice at that point.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
Excellent way to start the discussions, Lydia. I'll leave it to you for now, I'm going to take somewhat of a break from starting discussions since I did so for the past 10 months.

spoiler[I just loved the endurance run. Saki started running, and she didn't even make it out the gate Laughing But her self sacrifice was what pushed Tohru to go and win for her. For the encounter with Haru, it was just a laugh fest waiting to happen. First of all, like mentioned, girls were just digging Haru. And then he was riding a bicycle.] Talk about destroying dreams.

I have to admit it was amusing to see spoiler[Shigure's reaction to them coming back, though Shigure is always thinking it amusing of the situation, so we're always going to get some weird reaction from him. But then he goes to their school and he's playing cards with Hana-chan, Uo-chan, Kyo, the PE teacher, and some of the classmates. Only in the wonderful world of Fruits Basket could they be playing cards in the style that they were. And then everybody got sick] Laughing
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Excellent way to start the discussions, Lydia. I'll leave it to you for now, I'm going to take somewhat of a break from starting discussions since I did so for the past 10 months.

I'll do my best!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
You know, this volume is somehow on a pattern, meaning that at the beginning we have some amusing scenes and then some serious and revealing ones, followed again by some funny moments.

I think that from this volume I started to believe that it is something more to Shigure's charater than we might see it on first (btw, even now after I finished the manga I still think that I haven't discovered all his character - which is great) . spoiler[the discussion between him and Hatori does bring some revealing elements to the entire stroy. For the first time we discover that Shigure might also try to use Tohru get something though we don't know yet what's his goal. I loved the fact that Hatori observes how both Akito and Shigure use Tohru like a pawn but admits that both him and Shigure are hypocrites. I loved that part because it observed the just: on the one hand we have Hatori who wants to escape the curse and Sohmas but he doesn't do anything against it; on the other hand we have Shigure who wants so much Akito and the breaking the urse that he would do anything including innocent people who might suffer a lot like Tohru. They both want somehow the same thing but while one won't do anything about it, the other would use every horrible measure in order to achive his objective. I also think that secretly and sometimes even openly Hatori admires Shigure for his determination in pursuing his goals. It is also an episode that shows us just how fragile we are and it shows the darker face of Shigure.]

I always loved the way Haru appears onto the stage: Very Happy spoiler[I mean he seems so cool and girls are just so into him, when all of the sudden we discover that actually he rides a bike. This definetly puts an end to the girls' dreams. Laughing]

I particularly liked the story of the poor traveler, which is revealing especially for Tohru's charater. I think that she resembles a lot to the traveler especially because she gives so much to the Sohma family and sometimes she gets nothing in return except pain. It was refreshing that spoiler[towards the end of the manga all of them realize just how much she has changed their lives with her small offerings of peace and love.]

LydiaDianne, thank you for the notice! Wink Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:

LydiaDianne, thank you for the notice! Wink Very Happy

You're welcome! Very Happy

I think in one volume Hatori spoiler[tells Shigure that he admires him for being strong enough to go through with the plan. ] I don't remember. We'll probably come across it in latter discussions. I will bet, though, Shigure somehow blew the moment by immeaditly pissing Hatori off. Razz

And, yes, spoiler[the traveller story is a lot like Tohru. She doesn't do anything big for anyone but she lends a sympathetic ear and her loving heart. And those two things help everyone immeasurably.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
That moment between Shigure and Hatori spoiler[does bring out the dark elements that will become ever so more revealing throughout the rest of the series. Because we will see more characters that suffer because of the curse, and sometimes the only to benefit many is to sacrifice one. That is the plan devised by Shigure, to use Tohru for the means of breaking the curse which has for so long made them all suffer. Hatori admitting though that he is hypocritical proves that he is a good man, truthful in that sense. What has to be done has to be done, though he doesn't like it, he's not going to get in Shigure's way.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
You know, sometimes I think that Hatori (starting from this volume) takes on a very comfortable position: spoiler[he says in this volume that he won't be Shigure's enemy but neither his friend, which of course is what could be called: "hypocritical" and comfortable at the same time. He won't be his friend because one can't ally with a person who will do everything to achieve one's goal and on the other hand he won't be his enemy because deep down inside of course Hatori wants Shigure to win and achieve his supreme goal. So definetly it's a comfortable position with a sole inconvinient: Hatori cares much about the people involved in Shigure's schemes. Shocked ]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I haven't reread volume 3 yet, but everyone's discussed it so much already! Thanks for the notice Lydia, I tend not to check the forums on weekends (it's boyfriend time) so I'm glad to know the discussions up and running. Hopefully I can read it by tonight and contribute a little bit. Razz
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Ah, I haven't reread volume 3 yet, but everyone's discussed it so much already! Thanks for the notice Lydia, I tend not to check the forums on weekends (it's boyfriend time) so I'm glad to know the discussions up and running. Hopefully I can read it by tonight and contribute a little bit. Razz

Don't worry about it! You might as well read Vol. 4 while you're at it, since I'll get that discussion started on Friday.

Hatori does take a neutral postion. But, in doing so, he is able to lend a sympathic ear to everyone involved.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Well I caught up with volume 3 and I don't really have much to add to what everyone has already said except for a few things.

You can really see the beginnings of spoiler[Kyo's feelings for Tohru, though at the time, I'm not sure if he fully realized what they were and that his feelings were romantic and more than just "friendly." ]Plus Kyo is starting to soften up (just a little bit!) when you see him telling Tohru how he'll go to the onsen. And then Momiji sneaks spoiler[up on him and says that Kyo's got the hots for Tohru! Heh.] He's so sneaky, yet perceptive.

I love this volume because it introduces one of my favorite characters, Hatsuharu. I love it when he goes black, it really is quite hilarious how he gets so evil and twisted. Heh. Even though his coolness is ruined by his bicycle for those girls, I think it adds to his charm and endearingness. Embarassed

So, I also just bought and read Volume 17 today and man was it absolutely incredible!! I am actually bursting at the seams to discuss it (it was SOOO intense!!), but I didn't want to interrupt the volume 3 discussion so I just wanted to ask the woman in charge Lydia( Razz ) if it was okay, or if we are going to wait until it is time for that volume's weekly discussion?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 88 of 170