• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
DSP - I love the idea of a top ten episode list. I'm going to have a long think about it and create my own list Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
patco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
[Edit]: please try better. One sentence "Yay!" responses aren't good enough. Errinundra.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
For posterity, I've decided to link the Canon of Anime thread here, since Jose Cruz went through the consideration and hard work to put it together.

Explanation of the methodology that went into creating this list.

A total of 49 people's lists who watched in aggregate 36,000 anime titles, on average 750 anime titles, was used. Among these 49 people include: Several reviewer's who review anime here (ex. Key, JesuOtaku) and in blogs (such as this http://wrongeverytime.com/), and also people from MAL and here who have very large lists with like over a thousand titles. The idea is to get a list of titles which a substantial subset of these anime critics and hardcore fans regard as great.

A total of 944 titles were rated as 10/10 (or in a few cases, 9/10 if the ones rated 10/10 were less than 1.5% of the total) by at least one of the 49 anime buffs. There is great variety among all, including a short movie from 1918 to mecha series from the 1980's, to new hits such as K-On!! and children's classics like Doraemon and Sailor Moon. Out of these 944 titles I selected the top 80, why 80? Because all were rated as 10/10 by at least 4 people out of the 49.

This is the list, note that many titles were tied in the number of points so they are in the same position in the ranking:

1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Spirited Away
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion
5. Millennium Actress
6. Mushi-Shi
7. My Neighbor Totoro
8. Haibane Renmei
9. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
10. Fate/Zero Second Season
10. Gurren Lagann
12. Neon Genesis Evangelion The End of Evangelion
12. Revolutionary Girl Utena
14. Grave of the Fireflies
15. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
16. Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
17. Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumia
18. Princess Mononoke
19. Trigun
20. 5 Centimeters Per Second
20. Bakemonogatari
22. Akira
22. Monster
24. Bunny Drop
24. Code Geass Lelouch Rebellion
24. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
24. Wolf Children
28. Azumanga Daioh
29. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
30. Mushishi: The Next Chapter
31. Baccano
31. FLCL
31. Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal
34. Fate/Zero First Season
35. Code Geass
35. Gunbuster
37. Clannad: After Story
38. Fullmetal Alchemist
38. Perfect Blue
40. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
41. Redline
42. Death Note
42. Steins Gate
44. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
44. Tokyo Godfathers
44. Toradora!
47. Aria: The Origination
47. Summer Wars
49. Kanon
49. The Tatami Galaxy
51. Princess Tutu
52. Welcome to the NHK!
53. Gunslinger Girl
54. Whisper of the Heart
55. Barakamon
55. Wolf's Rain
57. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
58. Blood+
59. Black Lagoon: Second Barrage
59. Paranoia Agent
61. Kino's Journey
61. Paprika (movie)
63. Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu?
64. Cowboy Bebop The Movie
65. Honey and Clover
65. Honey and Clover II
65. Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit
65. Shirobako
69. Serial Experiments Lain
70. Rose of Versailles
71. Anohana: The Flower we Saw That Day
71. Kiki's Delivery Service
73. BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
74. Elfen Lied
74. Ping Pong
76. Cardcaptor Sakura
77. Girl who Leap Through Time
78. Nodame Cantabile
78. Planetes
78. RahXephon

Note some important differences between this and the ANN's anime ranking. For example, the hit and miss hardcore melodrama of Anohana is in the 15th place there, here it is ranked at 71.

While well regarded classics such as Haibane Renmei, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Cardcaptor Sakura, RahXephon and Serial Experiments Lain which are ranked 101, 388, 449, 334 and 470 respectively in the ANN's ranking here are ranked at the 8, 12, 76, 78 and 69th places, respectively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Prince Gotonoke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
The criteria I use for my top 10 is anime I enjoy the most, not really what I think is objectively the best. And with that out of the way, here I go.

1.(Tie) Patlabor: The Movie, Patlabor 2: The Movie - I love these films. Everything about them just seem perfectly made for me. Tight well paced thrillers. I also love that they are mech films but don't have as much action as you would think. The first is much more mystery than anything else, and the 2nd one is straight political thriller. The animation/art is also sublime.

2. Princess Mononoke - The other half of my username namesake. It is just beautiful and lady eboshi is one of my favorite characters in anything that I've seen/read/played. The complexity of the character's motivations is superb and really the main factor for me.

3. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - It is just a highly entertaining show for me. The action is probably my favorite of any anime series. It is also a full on shonen that doesn't feel like your typical shonen. No tournaments(though I do love me some), no powerups, and sticks with one serialized story from start to finish.

4. Dragon Ball - And my number 4 is THE typical shonen. Now when I say DB, I mean just that. The first part of the anime, not Z. I still hold a soft spot for Z, but DB is what I truly love. It doesn't show the problems that Z had, and it was also a lot more fun and the supporting cast felt more balanced out. Also, I LOVE the tournament arcs.

5. Rurouni Kenshin - Yes, the first season has rough spots, and the third is not good in general, but it's good spots are just THAT GOOD. Fun, cool action, heartbreaking, and a bunch of other adjectives. As well as a mature and sensible protagonist for a shonen, that's neat.

6. Baccano - A train ride that is full of blood and terror, as well as fun wacky immortal gangsters. Yes please.

7. Legend of The Galactic Heroes Sweeping space epic that is deliberately paced and intricately detailed, my kind of jam.

8. Cowboy Bebop - Do I need to explain?

9. BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad I do love me some slice of life, and this is certainly my favorite. Relaxing, fun, and just grabbed onto my heart.

10. Summer Wars - I loved Digimon as a kid, especially the Our War Game segment of the American. To see the idea refined into something better that is also smack dab in a sprawling ensemble piece about a wacky and lovable family dramedy? How can I not love it.

I'm not going to do a worst of list. There is stuff I loathe for sure, but I would much rather just dwell on the stuff I like!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
Thanks for your list, Prince Gotonoke and welcome to ANN. I've added it to the index on the front page, along with the "Canon of Anime" courtesy of Jose Cruz via willag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niko Fedo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Hello Everyone. A short introduction.
My name is Nikolay, I'm currently living in Japan for over a year, even found a great job where I'm working in as a student consultant which is called Wahaha Japanese school(Yep that is actually it's name). we get students here from everywhere around the world which means we can talk about tons of different kinds of anime. However I have been hearing the same old anime that people like. Nothing bad about it but after watching so many I thought I'll get new perspective from them Sad

Anyway, I would like you guys to help me find some new awesome anime
My list is(no particular order).

1. Guardian of the sacred spirit - one of the best animation I have seen in anime, the story is great also.
2. Berserk - Best story until today!
3. Attack on Titan - obvious reasons.
4. FLCL - Best "Random" anime ever. the animation is awesome as well.
5. Ghost in the shell(Mainly the 1st movie) - One of the best animation, story, that one made you think!
6. Seto no Hanayome - funniest comedy by far!
7. Death note - ye ye had to put it here, good story, but mainly because that is one of the only anime(code geass also) that the main guy is an ass!
8. FMA(Brotherhood also) - this is what made me watch anime so its a must in this list.
good story, funny, smart, just an overall well made anime.
9. most of Ghibli - awesome films, nothing more is needed to add.
10. Baby steps - As someone who plays tennis, I must say this show is perfect. Shows what determination can make you achieve.

Well, I probably got other ones but these are the ones that had the biggest impact on me.
Let me know what kind of Anime impacted you!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
Niko Fedo--

Please enjoy your time on these forums. Introductions can be found here. Recommendation threads can be found here.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Hi, Niko Fedo. I've added your list to the index. I heartily endorse your #1 choice: it's one of my favourites also. Balsa is my all-time best fantasy/adventure heroine - she's cool, capable and intelligent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niko Fedo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
Thanks errinundra, happy to see that someone saw that anime, truly deserves more recognition.
I also love your avatar, if im not mistaken, "Usugi drop" anime, has to be one of the most unique drawing style anime I've seen in a while, not abstract, but the colors were so well made, would love to see more of that style again!
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Thought I might join in since I do enjoy talking about anime I love. Have to say before I begin, I've always felt I had a strange list compared to most people, which I do, but I have my reasons. This really is "favorite" over "best", because nearly none of these come close to being the "best".

The reason these weird, mostly random shows can make my list when say, Cowboy Bebop can't, is because I feel shows that surprise me leave me a bigger impact than shows that I already had predisposed ideas on to begin with. If a show that can make me stand back in shock, it resonates with me more than a show that I'm like "That was great, but I already knew it would be", a la my previous example.

Anywho, limiting myself to my Top 10:

Honourable mentions: Humanity has Declined (delicious cynicism which I wish there was more of in anime), Nichijou (Because crazy, See also: SamFlam, Tsuritama), Baccano (I'm a huge Narita fanboy, what can I say), Cowboy Bebop (Obligatory), Baby Steps (Probably one of the best, most down to earth sports anime there is], Barakamon (super cute, super pretty), Meganebu (S-S-Shut up. I like glasses, okay? Anime cry)

10. Samurai Flamenco

This is a really strange show spoiler[besides than the obvious]. I've always found that people who watch this show are one of the two extremes, you either really love it or really hate it. I for one, am the former. I've always found myself compelled to strange shows with strange twists, so I was always going to love this show. If a show is going to be insane, I prefer for it to go all the way. Plus I enjoy the characters and their interactions. It's the same reason I was hooked on Baccano and Durarara as well, huge ensembles are my thing.

9. Tsuritama

I fully admit, one of the only reasons this show is here is because it was one of my first few anime. Yes, I'm not exactly a long time anime fan and yes, a weird place to start. I guess the reason it works so well on me is because it's just so different, everything from it's art to it's story is just so unique that it works so well for me. It's art and animation especially work well, bright art styles are a favorite of mine, so shows like this and Humanity has Declined work well for me, they give it a unique, whimsical kind of feel I just love. Maybe it's a weird choice, maybe the weirdest on the list, but I'm not ashamed by it.

8. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Now for a show that is less strange. I admit upfront, the first 10 - 20 episodes of this show, the retreads of FMA '03, not particularly strong. Whenever I recommend the show, I always say to watch the original first, it does the beginning of the story 100% better. The reason I prefer Brotherhood is because, well, I don't like the anime only stuff of the original. Nothing against anime only stuff it's just, I don't think it worked as well in this case, sorry. The original is still good, but I feel as though the overarching story is just better in Brotherhood.

7. Full Metal Panic!

This is my second anime ever, and truth be told I haven't actually seen this show in a long time, maybe I should. I will add that although I love season 1, TSR and Fumoffu are the better shows so there's that. Mostly, I just love the comedy and the characters. I'm not a huge mecha fan, but this one worked with me, I enjoyed the characters, and found their story to be very interesting. I can't really add much to that, I REALLY need to watch this again.

6. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun

Another weird one, and this is mostly because It's one of the funniest anime I've ever seen. This show is probably the most laugh out loud funny shows I've seen, and all it's comedy flows well. It's parody of Shoujo tropes all manage to land well, with all it's characters being equally funny and engaging to watch, I never felt as though there were any characters or jokes that pulled the show down, just consistently great and consistently hilarious from start to finish

5. Mushishi

If I were to make a top 10 best anime, rather than favorites, this would easily top the list. This show manages the perfect sense of atmosphere in every episode, even in it's weakest moments (which are in themselves few and far between), the show's unique quiet yet engaging atmosphere commanded my attention from start to finish. Even if wasn't always the happiest, it's just one of those show I could always watch to chill down and relax, with the same going for it's soundtrack as well.

4. Blood Blockade Battlefront

This show aired literally last season at time of writing and isn't actually over yet, yet it's still this high on my list. I'm not a manga fan at all, but this is one of the only shows that got me to go out and buy the source material. On top of that, I have managed to hook so many of my friends onto anime using this show you wouldn't even believe. This is another show that sells me using it's atmosphere and characters, it's ability to create a lively city feeling works really well with me, and all it's characters are fun to watch. Plus the OST is amazing.

3. Ouran Highschool Host Club

Ouran was the first ever anime that I watched, and as such is the reason I'm such a huge anime fan now, but I still feel the show earns it's spot for reasons other than that. On top of being funny, the characters are all fun to watch. I'm not a fan of reverse harems (or regular harems for that matter), but the fact all the characters were equally fun an charming really adds to the enjoyment. Plus Haruhi herself is just a great character too.

2. Psycho-Pass

Odd that out of all the Urobuchi works, this is the one that sticks with me. What can I say, I root for the underdog. Well, as underdog as a boochi show can get. I hate to sound like a broken record, but again, characters. In particular, in this case, Akane. This show for me felt like it was based on the progression of Akane in particular, seeing her go from an optimistic rookie to being beat down by the true reality of the system she works under. This, more than anything else, is why the show works so well for me, and why the sequel angers me SO MUCH (If I were to do a top 5 worst, it would top it, easily).

1. Durarara!!

Here's something that will surprise you: a weird choice that I enjoy because of characters and atmosphere. This is just really the other things I mentioned before cranked up to the max. I've always loved shows with large casts, and this show cranks it up to crazy numbers yet still pulls it off effectively. I love shows with believable worlds, and the strong urban city vibe I got from the show is one of the things that stood out to me the most. I love unique ways of telling stories, and Narita's style of cutting between a number of different scenes to paint a full story is what attracted me to both this show and his work in general. I like bold art styles, and this show's art stands out to me the most.

Sure the sequel is only so-so, but the first season will always be my favorite. Hell, the Mikado/Namie confrontation in episode 11 is probably my favorite scene in anime. Love it so much.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I've added your list to the index on the first page, Random 21, and given it a (Q) stamp for the effort you put into it.

I marginally prefer Bacanno! to Durarara!! (love them both) and marginally FMA to FMB. I must get around to watching Samurai Flamenco.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Okay! So I want to know each of your opinions. Top X basically means that each poster can decide. Top 20? Top 10? Top 5? Maybe just your favorite? Anyway, the different criteria I'd like to see judged are these...

Favorite in general

Favorite based on the catchiness of the music

Favorite based off how well it fits the show

Favorite based on lyrics.

As I doubt anyone has seen their fill of anime, feel free to post again if others openings catch your fancy from more recent shows, or if you just remembered something that wasn't in mind when you first posted.

My personal answer to each of these... In general - Funimation's Dragon Ball English Opening , One Punch Man OP, Guren no Yumiya (Attack on Titan), Sono Chi no Kioku (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Opening 2) , Departure (Hunter x Hunter 2011)

Catchiness of the song - Kero to March (Sgt. Frog Opening 1), Killy Killy Joker (Selector Infected Wixoss), Flyers (Death Parade OP), Hacking to the Gate (Steins;Gate Opening), Never Say Never (Dangan Ronpa OP), FMA 2003 Opening 1 (I think it was called Melissa but whatever), Revolutionary Girl Utena Opening, Prison School OP,

Based off how well it fits the show - You Raise Me Up (Romeo X Juliet), One Punch Man OP, Yuri Kuma Arashi OP, Death Note OP 1, Morning Grace (Princess Tutu)

Lyrics - Uninstall (Bokurano), All JoJo Openings, Yuri Kuma Arashi OP, Assassination Classroom Openings (in an amusing way), Sgt. Frog OP 1 (Again, in an amusing way), Tokyo Ghoul OP 1, Guren no Yumiya (AoT OP 1)
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:20 am Reply with quote
Wow, I put Code Geass and Gurren Lagann over FMA? Wolf's Rain made my top 10? None of the things that I ranked Masterpiece are on here except Bebop? Sheesh. This is an old list.
Ammonite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
[Post deleted.]

Last edited by Ammonite on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Ammonite. I love your list - several of them are in my favourites. I've added you to the index on the front page. Enjoy your visits to ANN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 119 of 122