• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop's Marmalade Boy Anime License Expires

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope Funi picks it up. I've been searching for the scrapbook box sets since I watched this on demand. When they cut it off before the end I looked at dealers rooms and online. I need this set funi and Im willing to pay big bucks if I have too! Hell...ADV, VIZ...whatever as long as I get it sub or dub!

Sigh...but since its expired theres no chance of re realease eh? Unless theres a loop hole in this thing.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that's too bad; it's kind of been sitting on the backburner of anime to watch.

I am excited about finding out Funi's rereleasing of the GTO box sets though. I'm definitely picking those up when they come out!
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least there's a ready-made dub, making it look more appealing for other licensors to pick it up someday
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Quick...Put the fansubs online!! QUIIIIICKKKK!!!!!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
It looks like the original Tokyopop sets are the only option and I doubt anyone else is going to bother trying to get the license. It's a shame, I was looking forward to getting the Funi releases, but it looks like I won't be seeing this show. The Tokyopop sets are difficult to find and not financially viable (I believe each set retailed for $80).
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
The license for episodes 25 through 76 will not expire for a couple years yet. The first 24 episodes were licensed much earlier, so their license expired much earlier.
darcerin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean the Saint Tail manga license expired as well? I've been looking everywhere for that, and I know I went looking for it on Tokyopop's website after a con two years ago when they said at their panel that EVERY manga/anime they sold was on there - and guess what? It wasn't. Sad

Thank goodness I picked up the Saint Tail anime when I did!

Edit - apparently I haven't been looking hard enough. Most of the volumes are on the Amazon re-sellers pages. Razz
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Fie on Fansubs! If we demand it enough, we can get dvd's.

And it's not like it's impossible to just pick up the old Tokyopop release. Anyhoo, I hope Funimation re-releases the episodes that TP *does* have the rights to, and that they can arrange something for the episodes they don't own.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:53 am Reply with quote
Didn't Tokyopop almost cancel Saint Tail before it finished over five years ago because it's selling poorly? I'm rather surprised that they bothered to hold onto the license this long without trying to shop it off to someone else. I guess that's the problem with long-term contracts, once you've got it you're stuck with it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Did they complete the Saint Tail anime series? All 43 episodes? I never even knew they released it here in the US!

BAD MARKETING! I love this series! I've been waiting forever to get a copy of it, and now I hear they license expired? They need to keep producing these series and actually market what they have - how are we supposed to know they got it? Telepathy? Sheesh...

That's why I say they dont have the licenses long enough...
darcerin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Did they complete the Saint Tail anime series? All 43 episodes? I never even knew they released it here in the US!

BAD MARKETING! I love this series! I've been waiting forever to get a copy of it, and now I hear they license expired? They need to keep producing these series and actually market what they have - how are we supposed to know they got it? Telepathy? Sheesh...

That's why I say they don't have the licenses long enough...

I picked up most of the series at an anime con a couple of years ago in a two for one type deal. Whether or not you can still find them at Borders or something, I don't know. Sad

The manga I have, since last night, found used/new copies on Amazon, and several comic websites. Good luck, in the first five minutes I searched on Ebay, the Saint Tail mangas shot up in price enormously - especially Vol. 3. -_-

Good luck in your hunt.
aluria

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I would have loved to own Saint Tail on DVD but could never find it. I wish Right Stuf would license it and bring out a sub only box set. That would seriously rock!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the Saint Tail manga's license has expired as well as the anime's.

The anime was completely released over four years ago, and was marketed at the time. It's not often economical to keep throwing marketing money at old shows.

Anyway, the books and DVDs are out there for people who want them if you look hard enough.
cardcaptor_yue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote
saint Tails remaining episodes were put out sub only in a set called, "enchanted collection. " One of my favorite endings. Note: they droped changing openings and ending, they are on the final disc as special feature, but must not have gotten the rights to opening 2.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Quick...Put the fansubs online!! QUIIIIICKKKK!!!!!
Yes, I do so want fansubs captured from VHS tapes done in the mid-90s.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1