• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adventure Time's Frederator Studios Plan Animated Castlevania Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
This is a no-win situation. If it airs on Cartoon Network, it'll have more creative freedom, but will get cancelled after a season or two because the toys didn't sell. If it airs on Nick, they'll either water it down or push it to online only with no fanfare. When Disney Anime hyper looks like the best option, you know you're fudged.

Frederator hasn't really done anything on TV since Adventure Time premiered. They've pretty much kept all their works to the Cartoon Hangover Youtube channel. This will probably end up the same way.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
While I think this adaptation of Castlevania has a decent chance of faring well, I'm uncertain of how long it'll remain on air before Cartoon Network decides to prematurely pull the plug on it...

well, 1.) no one said it was on CN and 2.) if this were CN 3 or more years ago, I'd agree, but like I said, they are better about that now (I think I remember an article on ANN mentioning they have someone else running things now, which probably has something to do with it)

Honestly a web series seems more likely to me though. Does make me wonder since Korra did do better online than on TV, if this becomes an animated serial online and does well, can that open the door for more studios and producers to make more serious animated serials in the style of Korra and Young Justice on platforms like Netflix, Youtube, or Crunchyroll? Just a thought I've always had since the Korra/Nickelodeon debacle. I dont know what they're plannin for Castlevania though, so maybe what I said doesnt even relate to what I said.

Lili-hime wrote:
If you like magical girl shows at all, I highly recommend Star vs the Forces of Evil. It's actually pretty similar to Urusei Yatsura too, albeit more kid friendly. (I.e. destructive alien girl causes massive headaches for earth boy - only that boy isn't the world's biggest pervert.)

I saw the first couple episodes when it was brand new and honestly couldnt put my finger on it if I liked it or not. Willing to give it another serious chance though some time in the future, I've seen more recent bits that I thought were funny
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
adventure time? can they even draw?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Sure they can. The lead people from Frederator mostly came from CalArts.

FenixFiesta wrote:
the only time a series gets into the reliance of Merch territory in modern western cartoon releases is after it gets into "SpongeBob" territory with endless production, premierring series have to rely simply on there ratings.

This was the predicament that took down Sym-Bionic Titan and Thundercats 2011 after their first seasons.

On the other hand, Adventure Time, Teen Titans GO!, Regular Show, and The Amazing World of Gumball hardly have any notable merchandise. These shows are a lot cheaper to produce though, and everything from Frederator has been on the cheap side. Titan and Thundercats were expensive shows and needed merchandise sales to turn a profit.

publicenemy333 wrote:
Honestly a web series seems more likely to me though. Does make me wonder since Korra did do better online than on TV, if this becomes an animated serial online and does well, can that open the door for more studios and producers to make more serious animated serials in the style of Korra and Young Justice on platforms like Netflix, Youtube, or Crunchyroll? Just a thought I've always had since the Korra/Nickelodeon debacle. I don't know what they're plannin for Castlevania though, so maybe what I said doesnt even relate to what I said.

Animation that premiered on streaming services have had a rocky start...but then again, most of them just aren't very good. Streaming service content follows the same rules as regular television: It has to be well-written for it to be popular.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
A project like this with Warren Ellis(!) as lead writer was announced years ago and never materialized. I expect more of the same.

According to Adi Shankar (the producer) on his facebook: " Warren [expletive] Ellis wrote the script ... and it's awesome aka very Warren Ellis." So I guess that's what this led to.

Also according to his Facebook it's gonna be "a super violent Castlevania mini-series." So I guess it's not being planned for CN or Nick lol
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
Inb4 the rush of edgy Adventure Time haters

Too late
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

Too late

You should've seen the Steven Universe thread lol
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
You should've seen the Steven Universe thread lol

I mean I can kind of sympathize because it's a thread based around whether or not SU appeals to certain fans and why it does, but I think it crosses a line when there's some random article about Adventure Time - or not even directly related to it - and suddenly people rage. I mean chill. SU definitely feels the heat too, and while I'm not the biggest fan of it, I have better things to do than actively bash a platform on which fans enjoy.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
The ANN article doesn't include it, but the Crunchyroll article has the following quote, that makes me extremely wary of this:
Quote:
"The goal is to bring hard hitting anime to the America and be America's first animated series for adults."

There have been a number of animated series for adults in the US, both serious and comedy. And that's not even getting into the "can something made in the US be called anime" debate.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
the only time a series gets into the reliance of Merch territory in modern western cartoon releases is after it gets into "SpongeBob" territory with endless production, premierring series have to rely simply on there ratings.

Sym-Bionic Titan, The Secret Saturdays, Generator Rex, Young Justice, Green Lantern, Beware the Batman, and Thundercats 2011 were all canceled because their toylines didn't sell (or didn't receive toylines in the first place for various reasons). This has been confirmed by everyone involved in each one of those shows.

Western action cartoons are COMPLETELY reliant on toy sales to survive. That's why Ninja Turtles, Star Wars Rebels, and the Marvel cartoons are the only action cartoon still on US television, because their toylines actually sell.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Western action cartoons are COMPLETELY reliant on toy sales to survive. That's why Ninja Turtles, Star Wars Rebels, and the Marvel cartoons are the only action cartoon still on US television, because their toylines actually sell.

That, and they actually HAVE a parent company (Lucasfilm, Disney/Marvel, Nick) that merchandises the better-known movies, and the toon is basically another piece of ancillary merchandise.
Cable just isn't where the money is, and they aren't being shown anywhere else that affiliates or advertisers can pay for them.

The idea of an action toon coming out of nowhere with an original property to sell action figures, like the glory days of He-Man and Thundercats, died out with the syndicated 80's.
Most cable networks are now owned by the same parent companies as the owners of the licensed properties, which is why you're going to find the Turtles on a Nick/Viacom channel, and a Star Wars and a (crappy sophomoric) Marvel toon on Disney's channels.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
veemonjosh wrote:

That, and they actually HAVE a parent company (Lucasfilm, Disney/Marvel, Nick) that merchandises the better-known movies, and the toon is basically another piece of ancillary merchandise.
Cable just isn't where the money is, and they aren't being shown anywhere else that affiliates or advertisers can pay for them.

The idea of an action toon coming out of nowhere with an original property to sell action figures, like the glory days of He-Man and Thundercats, died out with the syndicated 80's.
Most cable networks are now owned by the same parent companies as the owners of the licensed properties, which is why you're going to find the Turtles on a Nick/Viacom channel, and a Star Wars and a (crappy sophomoric) Marvel toon on Disney's channels.

This is probably why Cartoon Network puts Transformers and Sonic Boom in the time slot they do.
kuzronk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
This is a no-win situation. If it airs on Cartoon Network, it'll have more creative freedom, but will get cancelled after a season or two because the toys didn't sell. If it airs on Nick, they'll either water it down or push it to online only with no fanfare. When Disney Anime hyper looks like the best option, you know you're fudged.

Disney Anime hyper has some good cartoons that have let some stuff CN would never let them bypass. It's clearly going to be online only though if they are dropping stuff like Ninja Scroll.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

Too late

"Edgy"? Since when is it "edgy" to joke that Adventure Time sets and seals CN's reputation as "The scariest Anti-Drug PSA on cable"?

Mad Magazine even did it, fer cryin' out loud!
(And yes, it may have been just a Warner in-plug, now that they're working for their corporate bosses, but let's be honest, it seems to be the mainstream populist view now.)
GreatJaguarGT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I Think that the american animation is a joke, compared to work of any Japanese´s anime studios. I wish that will be cancelled and any Japanese mangaka, takes the project.
Castlevania is a mythical and the most impressive history in a video gaming world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3