• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Works Directly with Khara on Evangelion 3.33 Home Video Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
If by "special subtitle tracks", they mean ones including the lyrics to the songs playing in the movie, then I will definitely be excited (severely doubt that, but yes…). I wish FUNimation had included them in the previous movies and that more distributors did so more often, as the songs that play during it and those key moments really give them even more weight and significance once you know what is being sung. IIRC, music rights might be the issue (even if the lyrics were printed in the official soundtrack's accompanying booklet) and in Eva's case, the songs are in English, too, but it still would've gone a long way in making them feel even more special.

That, and/or I surely hope that we will get full, proper Japanese credits this time, something FUNimation (and a few other distributors, even the Japanese themselves for overseas releases) have been chronically negligent to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
From the sounds of this we're either going to be getting the ideal release that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise or we're gonna sink into recall territory. Either way I think it's safe to assume we're all going to pick it up if and when it's released so let's hope for the best. Though I have to wonder. Where was all lf this studio interference when the localization team messed up the sound effects for the last set of Eva movies?
tyasha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I am sorry, things just don't add up. 3.33 was ran in theaters then "released" for DVD/Blu-ray. I ordered my copy on Dec 30th 2013 on Amazon. The home release was delayed for more theater runs, or so we were told. Then dead silence... Rumors and anger was flying around from Eva fans. Then a glimmer of hope. Spike Spencer posted on his Facebook that he was heading to the studio do clean up/tweaking work on 3.33. Sounded very promising since waiting a year. I then came across a YouTube of a live stream Q&A with Funimation. The question was asked Where is 3.33? If you look at their body language you could tell that this was an uncomfortable question and the response was what was just posted this week. Basically "We're working on it"

One has to ask how can you release a product, run it around the world and let people see it, set it for release then delay it for a year? If someone felt it was that bad it should not have gone out period. If George Lucas or someone similar had done this with one of their franchises it really would not have flown.

I got the email from Amazon about keeping my order open for 3.33 and I have. That's what fans do. The good thing is the price dropped.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
tyasha wrote:
I am sorry, things just don't add up. 3.33 was ran in theaters then "released" for DVD/Blu-ray. I ordered my copy on Dec 30th 2013 on Amazon. The home release was delayed for more theater runs, or so we were told. Then dead silence... Rumors and anger was flying around from Eva fans. Then a glimmer of hope. Spike Spencer posted on his Facebook that he was heading to the studio do clean up/tweaking work on 3.33. Sounded very promising since waiting a year. I then came across a YouTube of a live stream Q&A with Funimation. The question was asked Where is 3.33? If you look at their body language you could tell that this was an uncomfortable question and the response was what was just posted this week. Basically "We're working on it"

One has to ask how can you release a product, run it around the world and let people see it, set it for release then delay it for a year? If someone felt it was that bad it should not have gone out period. If George Lucas or someone similar had done this with one of their franchises it really would not have flown.

I got the email from Amazon about keeping my order open for 3.33 and I have. That's what fans do. The good thing is the price dropped.

Unfortunately you're 100% correct. This whole situation is ridiculous. Yet part of me wishes Gainax had stepped in like this after the horrible job Manga Entertainment did on Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion.
LaSean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
If by "special subtitle tracks", they mean ones including the lyrics to the songs playing in the movie, then I will definitely be excited (severely doubt that, but yes…). I wish FUNimation had included them in the previous movies and that more distributors did so more often, as the songs that play during it and those key moments really give them even more weight and significance once you know what is being sung.
They do....Every time I watch the movies the lyrics come up.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Good to hear something, anything about this release I guess, but I wasn't expecting this...
Quote:
Studio Khara has decided it will create its own special subtitle tracks for the release

I'd really like Funi to clarify what this means. Will this be an extra subtitle track in addition to Funi's, instead of, or some sort of parody track, or what?
Maybe it means we'll get subs that use "First Children," Second Children," etc., just like Gainax wanted ADV to do back in the day.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
LaSean wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
If by "special subtitle tracks", they mean ones including the lyrics to the songs playing in the movie, then I will definitely be excited (severely doubt that, but yes…). I wish FUNimation had included them in the previous movies and that more distributors did so more often, as the songs that play during it and those key moments really give them even more weight and significance once you know what is being sung.
They do....Every time I watch the movies the lyrics come up.

For something like the end credits, yes, but not for the vocal pieces that play during the actual films themselves.

Romuska wrote:
Though I have to wonder. Where was all lf this studio interference when the localization team messed up the sound effects for the last set of Eva movies?

To be honest, FUNimation isn't the best when it comes to sound mixing on their dubs, though the same can be said for a few companies past and present, who either try to boost the more impactful sounds or score, abide by what they believe the show should sound like, or just flat do a poor job with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TearfulFriend18

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
That, and/or I surely hope that we will get full, proper Japanese credits this time, something FUNimation (and a few other distributors, even the Japanese themselves for overseas releases) have been chronically negligent to do.

I agree, something about the red lights on top of the credits along with the song gave it a very somber mood, something I know the release won't have.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how legit this source is, but apparently Anno has fallen back into a depression. Could be why this (and 4.0) are taking so long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3