• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Charlotte

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Maeda used alternate worlds, timelines, and time loops in Clannad and Little Busters. Not sure where the Madoka influence is to be completely honest.
Birriaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
WTF?! I guess this was the twist we were all waiting for, and what a twist. No matter how many times he's done it before you are never ready for it and then it kicks you right in the face. And this, of course, opens up the door for the typical Maeda ending... Only this time it will punch much harder because Yuu and Nao's relationship has been developing consistently, not like AB's emotional but "out of nowhere" finale.

By the way, is it just me or does everyone else also prefer cold and aloof Nao to today's blushing all the time and screaming like a rabid fan girl Nao? Just wondering.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Plot twists and shouts.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I like this blooming storyline much better than where it seemed headed, which was meh-land. And Nao being a fangirl is totally out of character, maybe someone ineptly thought they would show Nao is a "real girl" by doing this, but it doesn't work. It strikes me like Makina suddenly inviting all the other ShikabaneHime over for a slumber party.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I guess all the clues in the OP spoiled me on this, so I wasn't all that stunned, just curiously anticipating how they'd bring the time travel in, and who the time traveler would be (was actually expecting Yuu). I've been certain since the second episode that the missing family member was the secret benefactor of the school and hospital, but I was surprised that the leaps were already in progress.

That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying this, way more than I would have expected from the first episode. Smile

Quote:
Will the last few episodes be dedicated to bringing Ayumi back from the dead via time travel? That seems emotionally false. Charlotte has been many types of emotional so far, but that level of wish-fulfillment at the expense of honesty is beyond anything else it's done.

My main question at this point is how the comet will figure in (not to mention the [OPspoiler[vaccine study! - were all these powers induced by a virus?]), and I expect it to throw a monkey wrench into Shun's best laid plans, leading to tears and tragedy and regret for all involved. Smile

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Breaking up the 4 kanji making up the Japanese word for "teleportation," we get
瞬 (shun) - blink, wink
間 (kan) - space (as in 'the space within the room,' not in the Outer Space sense).
移 (i) - change, shift
動 (dō) - movement, motion

So, technically, it means "changing movement speed in the blink of the eye within the space"
That's breaking it down too far, plus using the wrong meaning of 間 (not that it can't mean "physical space", just not in this case; and where did you even get "speed" from?). 瞬間移動 is a compound of two words, the ones Jacquipuff stated, not four. It's a common myth about Chinese that each and every character always represents one whole word, and it may be tempting to apply this sort of thinking to Japanese words formed from Chinese morphemes in accordance to the rules of Chinese morphology. I suppose you can analyse 瞬間 as "the interval of a blink of an eye" and 移動 as "a shifting motion", but ever since Chinese (especially the northern dialects from which modern Mandarin is derived) moved away from monosyllabic morphology centuries ago these compounds have been analysed as single words, in this case corresponding to the concepts of "moment/instant" and "movement/transfer", respectively.

tldr "instantaneous movement" is a perfectly valid interpretation of the word, but even if you insist on being hyperliteral physical space and movement speed aren't supposed to be in there.

As for this week's episode... yeah, I'm impressed and all, but I think I'll reserve final judgement until later when the full implications of all the twists are revealed. Although I do find it funny that after this twistfest of an episode we still have no clue as to who or what the name 'Charlotte' even refers to..

Edit: Also, just noticed how they translated the episode's title, and wow that is so off. ここにない世界 means "A world that isn't here", not "The World is Not in Here", whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. I'll admit that whether or not translating 瞬間移動 as "teleportation" is accurate is a legit question with good arguments on both sides, but the way they translated the title is just failure to interpret basic Japanese sentence structures. Ugh...
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I like this blooming storyline much better than where it seemed headed, which was meh-land. And Nao being a fangirl is totally out of character, maybe someone ineptly thought they would show Nao is a "real girl" by doing this, but it doesn't work. It strikes me like Makina suddenly inviting all the other ShikabaneHime over for a slumber party.

I definitely like where this story is going as well (fingers crossed that it keeps going that way)

But I'll have to disagree about Nao being out of character. She is a total tsundere, but that doesn't mean that something can't bring out excitement. I actually like that there's something she can get 'fangirly' about because it breaks her out a flat archetype.
That said, the fact that her cool composure didn't return after the concert did strike me as not herself, so I'll totally give you that.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Maeda used alternate worlds, timelines, and time loops in Clannad and Little Busters. Not sure where the Madoka influence is to be completely honest.
Exactly this. I believe AIR too has an alternate time line too. Other worlds were seen as early as in ONE with the Eternal World.
Hakajin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
I reeeaaally enjoyed this episode! Although I have to say, I started suspecting the time-travel element a few episodes ago. Although I thought Drenched-kun would be the time-traveler; like, he'd already seen Ayumi (and Shuu, I assumed at the time) die, and now he had to go back and try to prevent it again. But that image of him standing there really caught my attention. So, when the flashback started in this episode, it only took me a second to figure out what was going on (although my first instinct was that it was in the present, and Yuu had had his memories of his old life erased). Also, so many anime I've seen have that twist. I think it has something to do with the influence of Buddhism in Japanese thought, you know, reincarnation and trying to break the cycle (which is where time-loops, specifically, come in).
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
I liked the plot twist. Mostly because I thought the "mutant" powers' idea was too underdeveloped. Yeah, I think spoiler[Shun might be the villain, because Ayumi is alive in one timeline... the one they run away from. Maybe he want to go back to there?]

But Nao is not out of character being a fan. She show in previous episodes that she can get excited talking about videocameras or ZHIEND. She just chose when to let herself go or not.

As for the English-sorta lyrics, I've seen the same in other languages version of CR, so I think it's wrote that way in the original script.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
supercalafragilisticjoy wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

I definitely like where this story is going as well (fingers crossed that it keeps going that way)

But I'll have to disagree about Nao being out of character. She is a total tsundere, but that doesn't mean that something can't bring out excitement. I actually like that there's something she can get 'fangirly' about because it breaks her out a flat archetype.
That said, the fact that her cool composure didn't return after the concert did strike me as not herself, so I'll totally give you that.

Nao's been consistently inconsistent tbh. There are lots of moments where she breaks the tsundere archetype, or rather, her own cool indifference by either shouting or smiling or whatever. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but it's certainly very noticeable in any case.

As for the episode...I have to say I wasn't a massive fan. It feels too much like they are just adding another plotline to a series which was already filling up with this character driven story - now suddenly the fate of everything is at stake. And 9 episodes in at that?! I really can't decide whether I like the show or not, the pacing seems all over the place and I would have been quite happy if the MC's breakdown and subsequent recovery had been the last arc of the series, rather than...this.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like this is out of nowhere, there have been hints through the series that SOMETHING else was going on but the specifics and how it was executed just seemed rather sub-par for me. Plus to be honest the characters still feel a bit flat beyond the MC. I mean as I said, Nao almost feels like the writers can't decide if they want her to be tsundere or not - as a member of the audience it's hard to predict when she'll get in a huff versus when she'll quietly accept it and when she'll suddenly be beaming with joy.

...Overall I think this show (granted it still has a bit left to change my mind) would have worked better as a simpler show about powers etc, something more akin to "When superpower battles become commonplace" or whatever it's called( the Bones show from a few seasons ago.) though that also suffered from sudden plot at the end. It feels too much like they were trying to remake angel beats for me, trying to go one step beyond that and just ending up in a mess of SoL and heavy drama without balancing them appropriately.

Also if Ayumi DOES survive I will really dislike the show - since it basically invalidates the only part of the show that's been particularly GOOD. Well, unless there's some sacrifice involved maybe...but even then I'm not sure it'd be worth it.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:35 am Reply with quote
Just more expected twists.
But that is entertaining in its own strange way.

But a post-rock band that is not post-rock is just silly. That was not even close to post-rock.
But that was also not surprising.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Just more expected twists.
But that is entertaining in its own strange way.

But a post-rock band that is not post-rock is just silly. That was not even close to post-rock.
But that was also not surprising.

Never mind that. At least, visually, they vaguely looked like Garbage (the band), and that's something.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
supercalafragilisticjoy wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Nao's been consistently inconsistent tbh. There are lots of moments where she breaks the tsundere archetype, or rather, her own cool indifference by either shouting or smiling or whatever. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but it's certainly very noticeable in any case.

I mean as I said, Nao almost feels like the writers can't decide if they want her to be tsundere or not - as a member of the audience it's hard to predict when she'll get in a huff versus when she'll quietly accept it and when she'll suddenly be beaming with joy.

Also if Ayumi DOES survive I will really dislike the show - since it basically invalidates the only part of the show that's been particularly GOOD. Well, unless there's some sacrifice involved maybe...but even then I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

So, let me get this straight: you want Nao to be a stereotypical tsundere that the audience can predict 100% of the time? Seriously? That would be awful. She's not inconsistent because of bad writing, she's human. I think they're doing a very good job with her character so far.

The thing about Ayumi, though, yeah, I mostly agree. Although I don't want Yumi to stay dead, considering how suddenly and anticlimactically it was revealed, I'd like there to be some better solution than "time trave reset".

Oh, and the show you're thinking of "When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace" is by Studio Trigger, not Bones. Just a correction.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Kreion wrote:
snip

So, let me get this straight: you want Nao to be a stereotypical tsundere that the audience can predict 100% of the time? Seriously? That would be awful. She's not inconsistent because of bad writing, she's human. I think they're doing a very good job with her character so far.

The thing about Ayumi, though, yeah, I mostly agree. Although I don't want Yumi to stay dead, considering how suddenly and anticlimactically it was revealed, I'd like there to be some better solution than "time trave reset".

Oh, and the show you're thinking of "When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace" is by Studio Trigger, not Bones. Just a correction.

Did I say that? No - please don't put words into my mouth. A GOOD character, a well-written character should be predicatable to some degree, because people are predictable. Well, to a degree that is. Humans are very capable of exceeding expectations etc in drastic situations, what they don't do is ping-pong between a monotone and super hyped. That is not realism or like a human that is just questionable writing - look at how she acts over the phone when talking about Zhiend compared to how she was at the concert? Those two sets of actions and tones of voice are pretty far removed from each other...

I think she should - in fact I think the show would have been better with a focus on that and the human element rather than this bloated plot it looks like is coming.

My point still stands - though yes it was Trigger (I knew it was studio I wasn't fond of which surprised me with the show_/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 18