• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Gistradagis wrote:
Yes, he's an evil maniac that has made Anna into who she is. He is not to be blamed, but he does hold part of responsibility for what has happened. He has created a Frankenstein yet he no longer cares for Anna.

Thing is this development for her happened right after they dealt with her stalkers, which were a lot tamer than she is. The irony of this all seems to escape Anna, however. Okuma has also expressed his dislike over this time and time again, and yet she keeps doing it. At first he was a bit surprised and understandably afraid, now he's just fearing for his life.

I did at first find her character's development a bit sad, as it seemed a conversation would've cleared things up, but she's clearly gone way past that road and is a current resident of Crazy Town.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Thing is this development for her happened right after they dealt with her stalkers, which were a lot tamer than she is. The irony of this all seems to escape Anna, however. Okuma has also expressed his dislike over this time and time again, and yet she keeps doing it. At first he was a bit surprised and understandably afraid, now he's just fearing for his life.

I did at first find her character's development a bit sad, as it seemed a conversation would've cleared things up, but she's clearly gone way past that road and is a current resident of Crazy Town.

He keeps his dislike to himself and his friends only, though. He keeps avoiding a confrontation (maybe in part because of fear, at this point), and so Anna keeps believing that she's merely proving her love and devotion.

Without any education or guidance, be it by her family or friends (which aren't actually her friends at all), she's and will forever be out of control. I'm not sure if the author intends to solve this at all, or if Anna will live and die as a repetitive gag on the irony of the current society in the serie.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Gistradagis wrote:
He keeps his dislike to himself and his friends only, though. He keeps avoiding a confrontation (maybe in part because of fear, at this point), and so Anna keeps believing that she's merely proving her love and devotion.

I think when someone runs away from you screaming that's enough to get that they dislike whatever it is you're doing, but yeah, he has gone just short of telling her to her face to stop assaulting him, I suppose. He does scream that what she's doing is lewd while she's right to him but she doesn't seem to care or hear.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I think when someone runs away from you screaming that's enough to get that they dislike whatever it is you're doing, but yeah, he has gone just short of telling her to her face to stop assaulting him, I suppose. He does scream that what she's doing is lewd while she's right to him but she doesn't seem to care or hear.

Probably because she doesn't believe she's being lewd, since not even her collar reacts to it. It would seem she's not putting an act, she truly believes she's acting out of love and care for Okuma, and that what she does it proper of a pure girl.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Gistradagis wrote:
Probably because she doesn't believe she's being lewd, since not even her collar reacts to it. It would seem she's not putting an act, she truly believes she's acting out of love and care for Okuma, and that what she does it proper of a pure girl.

If I remember the conversation she had with Fuwa that one time correctly, even if she was aware what she is doing is immoral I doubt she'd stop it, since she's doing it in the name of love.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
People who didn't watch the show having an opinion, other people seriously judging the characters of an up-to-eleven sex comedy...
strayalive

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Gistradagis wrote:
But we should remember that she is, in the end, the product of her circumstances, family, and the idealized figure everyone has of her. Anna herself keeps insisting that she's doing all this so keep and further the purity and love with Okuma and, while this is not what she's doing, she clearly thinks she's doing the right thing. She doesn't understand she's confusing lust with love and obsession with attraction, because noone has told her, ever.

The series is fundamentally a satire, so I think that's the point. She probably needs SOX the most but is probably the most closed off to what they are trying to do.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Weird that nobody picked up the interesting irony or hypocrisy if you prefer that women are inherently harmless (it's proven by Anna that is not) compared to men. The agender prefect whose name I don't remember now says that they were ordered to be a girl because a girl's image immediatly implies Okuma's idealized version of Anna: safe, harmless, and pure. Plus, it's a jab to the common belief of female-on-male violence is non-existent (and if it's sexual, it should be desirable).

The only unnecesary statement might be Okuma's "if I touch Anna I'll be attacked but if she touches me nothing will happen", it could be interpreted as if the deal about equality is whether one 'gender' can attack the other or not based on the consequences that might carry. There is not enough context for tha conclusion, though.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Weird that nobody picked up the interesting irony or hypocrisy if you prefer that women are inherently harmless (it's proven by Anna that is not) compared to men. The agender prefect whose name I don't remember now says that they were ordered to be a girl because a girl's image immediatly implies Okuma's idealized version of Anna: safe, harmless, and pure. Plus, it's a jab to the common belief of female-on-male violence is non-existent (and if it's sexual, it should be desirable).

Well, I thought that, but I rejected the idea for being too clichéd...
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
The only unnecesary statement might be Okuma's "if I touch Anna I'll be attacked but if she touches me nothing will happen", it could be interpreted as if the deal about equality is whether one 'gender' can attack the other or not based on the consequences that might carry. There is not enough context for the conclusion, though.

I kind of thought this was a (relatively) straightforward observation on something I had kind of figured would come up eventually with Anna. The prefects are raw instruments of power for Anna - since their concept of lewdness is based entirely on how Anna defines it they're really just authoritarian robots. So, like any virtue-based hierarchy the people at the top eventually become virtuous by position rather than by actually holding the virtues they're supposed to embody. Of course, these paves the way for abuse. Anna assaulting or even raping Okuma is virtuous because everything she does is virtuous by their definition.

I figured this sort of systemic corruption would show up eventually in the series, and I'm happy it finally has.
chito895

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't even mind the low grades of the show, because this series is so stupid and hilarious at the same time. And that stupidity is basically portrayed in Goriki's panty and bra scene. I just couldn't stop laughing at how nonsensical that scene was.

What I think now is that all that campaign of Anna's mother about the castity panties and the full control over the people just disappeared from the plot. It was a bit more interesting than these Panty freak arc, as we could've seen Anna unleasing her lust in front of her own mother.

And from the review, I believe that the Hyoka from Shimoneta doesn't have anything to do with the Hyoka anime. Do the green links to the series appear automatically?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm still finding this funny, but noticeably less so after each new episode. Probably because of some combination of the concept being less fresh and the direction the story went. I think this is the type of show that the more it focuses on a somewhat serious plot, the worse it becomes. The last several episodes have been a lot more about catching a terrorist and setting up a betrayal which took the focus away from the absolute ridiculousness that made the show fun to start with.
ExLeaderTGW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I knew that little pink penis head chick couldn't be trusted!!
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
And that stupidity is basically portrayed in Goriki's panty and bra scene. I just couldn't stop laughing at how nonsensical that scene was.

That single scene saved the episode from the D-range grade that I was originally going to give it. Really, I will be glad when this current story arc is over.

Quote:
And from the review, I believe that the Hyoka from Shimoneta doesn't have anything to do with the Hyoka anime. Do the green links to the series appear automatically?

Ugh, I though I had the link turned off for that, but apparently it didn't save. You shouldn't see it now.

Last edited by Key on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10 review wrote:
The sputter-worthy moment, though, is seeing what Raiki is actually wearing for underclothing.

Although I was slightly amused I think it should also be recognized by everyone that this scene led to a general display of homophobia.

Rake's little sister must be awesome.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a bigger game was at play here where Kosuri's defection turns out to be part of the plan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7