• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GATE (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
All I have to say is typical yanks. Do they always have to stick their noses into everything all the flipping time?

"It's pathetic that you British still believe that you have the right to police the world." - Colonel Tan-Sun Moon, Die Another Day

Of course, the real question is, why? Other than the author's own latent anti-Americanism, of course?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Well at least these days if you see an unflattering portrayal of America you can think to yourself "This must be a universe where Donald Trump became president."

... Which might possibly be our universe, come to think of it...
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well at least these days if you see an unflattering portrayal of America you can think to yourself "This must be a universe where Donald Trump became president."

... Which might possibly be our universe, come to think of it...

However, the President of the United States in Gate cannot be Donald Trump. He's too thin, and he actually has decent-looking hair. Razz
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
People just jelly of our freedom 8^)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
However, the President of the United States in Gate cannot be Donald Trump. He's too thin, and he actually has decent-looking hair. Razz

Once elected Trump used his new power to abolish the election system and the new president is personally chosen by Trump through a reality TV show. All paid by Mexico, naturally.

But seriously I hope Americans at least understand why the rest of the world doesn't have the highest opinion of them. Especially the country you nuked twice.
DHkase

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

But seriously I hope Americans at least understand why the rest of the world doesn't have the highest opinion of them. Especially the country you nuked twice.

Just as we hope that the author remembers that there is a pretty good reason why the rest of the world is not exactly enthusiastic about Japan expanding it's military outside of it's current defense based role.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
So Itami's ex-wife loved him so much that she divorced him? Even if it was to prove how hurt she was that he didn't seem to realize how much she loved him, or that she felt he didn't love her back sufficiently, or whatever, that's a really weak reason to divorce someone you love.

In other news, allies killing allies can't end well. I buy USA spying on Japan, but putting soldiers in a situation where they might get killed by JSDF makes no sense.
DHkase

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:05 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So Itami's ex-wife loved him so much that she divorced him? Even if it was to prove how hurt she was that he didn't seem to realize how much she loved him, or that she felt he didn't love her back sufficiently, or whatever, that's a really weak reason to divorce someone you love.

The impression I got was more that she felt like their first marriage was for the wrong reasons, which is why she divorced him. Now that they are divorced, she's hoping that she can build a relationship based on the feelings she has now, rather than continue living in a marriage that began out of selfishness.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
DHkase wrote:
Just as we hope that the author remembers that there is a pretty good reason why the rest of the world is not exactly enthusiastic about Japan expanding it's military outside of it's current defense based role.

I get what you're saying, but is that really the case? I've said this in the Kancolle thread, but Japan's acts in WWII aren't something we dwell on here in Canada (I suppose that might be because of how terribly we treated our Japanese descended citizens during the time) and outside of the US and China I'm not aware of other countries still resentful towards Japan for WWII.

It's something that happened a long time ago and plenty has changed since there. If Japan expanded it's military power, would they immediately go back to their old ways just because? I highly doubt that. It's not like Germany has tried to take over Europe recently.

The US, on the other hand, has continually been involved in several incidents up to the present time that reinforces their negative image. I've seen plenty of stories of American soldiers stationed in Japan up to no good so some resentment is pretty fresh.

I know it's easy to dismiss the author as some right wing crackpot and ideally all peoples should be portrayed with a certain amount of respect, but it's important to look at the personal and social situation to try and understand a person's attitude.

Agent355 wrote:

I don't think it was weak. She was worried for his safety, but he thought she was just worried about the money. If he died she'd get the insurance money as his wife, so she divorced him to show that getting that money wasn't as important to her.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I get what you're saying, but is that really the case? I've said this in the Kancolle thread, but Japan's acts in WWII aren't something we dwell on here in Canada (I suppose that might be because of how terribly we treated our Japanese descended citizens during the time) and outside of the US and China I'm not aware of other countries still resentful towards Japan for WWII.

Most of asia is still not really cool with japan, notably Korea. Didn't some old man set himself on fire in Korea a few week ago because they were changing the hystory textbook? US is totally cool with japan BTW, I don't think there was even any noise from US when they started re writing the constitution a few weeks back. Oh and japan would never in there wildest dream go behind US back with the stuff about the gate since there counting on the US to have there back in case of deteriorating condition with china.
DHkase

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

In the USA, the sentiment mainly exists among some of the surviving veterans and by those that lived through the war. I would say the majority Americans would consider the events of WWII over and done with, but that is not the same in Asian countries. Imperial Japan was not a kind to the countries they occupied, and those countries, mainly nations such as China, Korea, and South East Asian countries are not happy that Japan appears to be white washing this era in their history.
Vaisaga wrote:

It's something that happened a long time ago and plenty has changed since there. If Japan expanded it's military power, would they immediately go back to their old ways just because? I highly doubt that. It's not like Germany has tried to take over Europe recently.

The attitudes that lead to WWII are thankfully not as prevalent in the modern world, how ever Japan expanding it's military increases the likely hood of small scale conflicts with China as they both claim a lot of the same territory in the South China Sea. With luck, armed conflict can be avoided but if one does happen then...
Vaisaga wrote:

The US, on the other hand, has continually been involved in several incidents up to the present time that reinforces their negative image. I've seen plenty of stories of American soldiers stationed in Japan up to no good so some resentment is pretty fresh.

The USA would HAVE to intervene since we are obligated to defend Japan as stated in the peace treaty that ended US occupation. A lot of the world may resent the USA intervening in affairs outside of their borders, but the world's largest economy and military power can not simply withdraw from the rest of the world. The USA needs to get involved, and there is seldom a way that can happen that makes everyone happy.
Vaisaga wrote:

I know it's easy to dismiss the author as some right wing crackpot and ideally all peoples should be portrayed with a certain amount of respect, but it's important to look at the personal and social situation to try and understand a person's attitude.

This applies to all sides of the issue, and those that feel that Japan is trying to actively erase the severity of their role in WWII have are entitled to that viewpoint.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
DHkase wrote:
The attitudes that lead to WWII are thankfully not as prevalent in the modern world, how ever Japan expanding it's military increases the likely hood of small scale conflicts with China as they both claim a lot of the same territory in the South China Sea. With luck, armed conflict can be avoided but if one does happen then...

Point of clarification: Japan has no territorial claims in the South China Sea proper. However, Japan is strengthening military ties with nations in that region, namely the Philippines (which does have territorial disputes with the People's Republic of China).
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm deeply confused by the US motivation in episode 9. Y'know, even an incompetent villain needs some motivation to be doing what they are, but at this point it seems like the US is just the boogeyman. Why would they even want the 3 visitors from the other side of the Gate so much? It's never explained and I can't think of a reason compelling enough to justify the level of action seen in episode 9.

Vaisaga wrote:
If he died she'd get the insurance money as his wife, so she divorced him to show that getting that money wasn't as important to her.

And then proceeded to take alimony? If her goal was to prove the marriage wasn't about money, she's doing a terrible job.

I got the idea that she was sick of trying to be close to someone who was so distant, and decided to make the distance official at least until such time as it was bridged.

Though really, I think it's all kind of a vague mess designed to make Itami still look awesome without making the ex-wife in to a villain.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
And then proceeded to take alimony? If her goal was to prove the marriage wasn't about money, she's doing a terrible job.

Money was important, obviously, but when compared to Itami's life it wasn't as important.
DHkase

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:

Point of clarification: Japan has no territorial claims in the South China Sea proper. However, Japan is strengthening military ties with nations in that region, namely the Philippines (which does have territorial disputes with the People's Republic of China).

Ah, my apologies I was referring to the East China Sea and the Diaoyu/Senkaku Islands.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 21