• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gangsta.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Well, i don't really feel much of an emotional attachement to any of these characters, so i enjoyed ep. 9 more than most of the previous ones because it had some decent action and plot at the very least...
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
forrest-kun wrote:

Actually they said he has extremely good eyesight & sense of smell, they never said he had good hearing.

in ep 1? cause when i watched the dub version of ep 1 when worrik was talking to alex about nico's abilities,he gave hints of all you mentioned above, but also on the ability to hear certain sounds too and it shows while he looking for her former john while on top on one of the roofs. and gave the quote that you'll need to be extremely silent to avoid him knowing everything. unless i miss something.

but in case i'll check again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, check again. Smile It was the cop who was telling his sidekick who had thought Nic just wasn't talkative that his hearing was for shit, but his eyes were sharp as hell, so if you had something private to say, you better cover your lips. We see Nic's pov from the roof while he's saying that.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Ok this last episode was just terrible. The animation, the pacing, the story itself. I know it's one of those "pre-battle" episodes where you're just waiting, but normally those are at least used for character development and to raise death flags (hey at least we got one of those *headdesk*).

Edit:
A- ?!? Alex's mangled face in the first part of the episode rates at least a full letter drop. I haven't seen a character's face drawn that badly since those infamous Bleach episodes.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Ok this last episode was just terrible. The animation, the pacing, the story itself. I know it's one of those "pre-battle" episodes where you're just waiting, but normally those are at least used for character development and to raise death flags (hey at least we got one of those *headdesk*).

Edit:
A- ?!? Alex's mangled face in the first part of the episode rates at least a full letter drop. I haven't seen a character's face drawn that badly since those infamous Bleach episodes.

Yeah I was actually surprised by the high rating for this one. It's the animation team is strapped for time since the animation has gone into godawful levels the last few episodes(that long panning shot at the start). I actually had lot of trouble paying attention to the dialogue because of it.I know your not a the fan of action scenes Gab,but at least they push the plot forward instead a being a pointless action scene(granted the animation kills them).The episode itself was okay;it does setup for what should be a great episode next week.

I'm worried how the hell their going to end this,unless another season is planned down the road.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
After what the reviewer'd written about Gangsta's flaws, which were also present in this episode, I too was surprised about the A- grade. That, combined with the bad animation and badly drawn characters in some shots, would at least get a deduction from me. Apparently the good points of this episode were giving the reviewer a very good aftertaste, but I believe it should've been more reflected in the text itself.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
I'm worried how the hell their going to end this,unless another season is planned down the road.

Yeah, I hope so, I'm liking it and I'm not sure how they can end it yet either, hopefully as long as it's doing well enough they plan to continue it and adapt more of the series.

Hopefully some of the art will be cleaned up for the blu-ray.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The 9.5 episode felt to me like more than a stalling tactic to get the next episode done. Either they're pretty sure they're getting a new season and wanted to get newcomers up to speed, or they're hoping newcomers might hop on at the last minute and provide the needed push for the light to turn green. It was less a recap episode and more an outline of things you need to know to jump in.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
I was a little surprised by the A- grade as well. Besides the rough animation Gabriella hasn't been too impressed with how the show approaches its action elements (I agree I'm more invested in the relationships than the tepid action) and she reiterates this in the review. I don't know it was a B for me maybe B+ episode.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:28 am Reply with quote
The anti-twilight squad is apparently a group of anime characters who've decided to cosplay as a group of goofy teenage pseudo-goths. Which is weird because normally it's the other way around.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Gangsta is pretty disappointing. I liked what I read of the manga (1 or 2 volumes I think?), but this adaptation--on top of its shoddy quality--doesn't handle its story well.

I think the worst part is there is so much more that it could be. I like the leading trio. In theory, I like its world and several supporting characters. But I guess that's the problem; "in theory." It has this set-up to work with and it does little with its potential. Take Doug, for example. When they developed his personality a little (right after his fight with Nic), I warmed up to him. And...that was about it. spoiler[He doesn't show for awhile, then he dies. I couldn't find myself caring because the series failed to follow up on his development before slicing his chest open.] I feel this also applies to Delico and Yang. What they're going through would be a great character arc if we had a solid grasp of them before it started.

The series seems to like dropping named characters into the plot, then giving them important stuff to do before they've been developed enough to deserve it. Sidelining main characters for side characters isn't always bad, but a better series would a) have made characters strong enough to carry the story for a bit, and b) wouldn't do it during the second to last episode.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I think the anime is trying to find a way to end it correctly. It's hard to because the manga itself is still in this arc and i think adapting this part of the series was a struggle. It's just going by the book now but that's okay (ish) with me. I just hope it doesn't end with a cliffhanger. But i tjink that's where it's going to end (i suppose) so that's a wrap.
Forrest-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I was so excited for this anime but now i'm so very disappointed, there won't be a season 2 ever nor will there be a reboot...this had once chance to be animated. Manglobe decides to adapt one of my favorite manga and all they do is turn it into a pile of steaming crap. Also super salty that Dougs death was death was covered in matter of seconds, I know we didn't get to know him that much but at least in the manga I felt something when he passed away...URRRRRGHHHHH! I would have rather had Gangsta never get an adaptation then for it to be turned into this.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
I'd been interested to know how far into the manga the reviewer has read because it would give better insight on how much she thinks the faults of the show are due to poor adaptation or are originating from the source material itself (personally I think some of the faults are native to the manga but the shoddy adaptation is exacerbating them to an even greater degree than one might expect from a below average adaptation).

One of the issues is that the parts the last bits of the show the show is adapting (it'll likely end at the equivalent at the end of Volume 5) is from arc material that is still unfinished even in the manga. Maybe Gangtsta. should have held off until more material had been published before an adaptation had been made.
bibotot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Latest episode has neither Nicholas nor Worick in it. I am so disappointed. Gangsta started out well, but this is becoming my most disappointing anime of the season. It's not shit, but I can only rank it at average at the moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9