• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Allegedly Threatening Voice Actress Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
It is my idea, that people today are more insane?

too much social media

it's a new diagnosis.. IAD (internet addiction disorder)-- it's a form of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420165/

a lot of things are linked to it.. online aggression is one of those things

i think there's a term for people who can't let go of their phone or constanly checking social media for news-- there's an official term

but my own definition would be paranoid Rolling Eyes
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was all the way back in April and they are only arresting him now? Good thing most people don't go through with their threats, otherwise they wouldn't be caught in time.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
See, amid all the noise on the internet, legit threats are taken care of. I for one am glad to see actual culprits being taken into custody for wrongdoings.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
So, I don't get how anyone could want to hurt any VA when they just do their jobs and go home.

Well, for some, just not liking how they do their job is enough. Sadly...

Anddo wrote:
This is the second incident I've heard about recently, what the hell?

I think that ANN have reported on 3 similar incidents. But, for 2 of those, the accused admitted to the crimes. Don't know what happened with the other one.

Alan45 wrote:
I find the charge interesting. Does this mean that if his threat didn't interfere with business it would be legal?

It does seem like a strange one. Possible that they went in it in a roundabout way, as the target of the threat was not aware? I say that as they posted these threats on 2ch, which I assume is a forum, and not a direct way to contact the target (unlike, say, Twitter)?
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Unlike American media, Japanese celebrities don't usually speak out on politics and society. So, I don't get how anyone could want to hurt any VA when they just do their jobs and go home.

It gets to the depressing point where perhaps the only way a radio personality would comment on politics would be by being the prime minister's wife (i.g. Akie Abe).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoppy800 wrote:
Voice acting wars among the fans and you thought the console war is the most heated issue when it comes to hobbies, and unlike this, with the console war it's usually the opposing opinions that gets threatened instead of what the idol the opposing opinion is worshipping.

And thus behold: people merely doing their jobs are treated below human (or could it be that these extreme-type otaku treat women in general as below human?).

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Given that she provides the voice for one of the Love Live idols (Umi Sonoda) I'm not too surprised. Fans can get really intense and passionate where that franchise is concerned. Idol fans in general really. I remember hearing about one of the AKB48 idols actually getting stabbed at a fan meet and greet event and hospitalized with cuts and a broken finger.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
I hope this guy gets at least 30 months in prison.
maoyen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
It is my idea, that people today are more insane?

No more than usual, they just have a platform now. It's the Penny Arcade's GIFT in action.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
the-antihero wrote:
Unlike American media, Japanese celebrities don't usually speak out on politics and society. So, I don't get how anyone could want to hurt any VA when they just do their jobs and go home.

It gets to the depressing point where perhaps the only way a radio personality would comment on politics would be by being the prime minister's wife (i.g. Akie Abe).

I don't normally dabble in politics or social issue but it's better that celebrities keep out them because they often make fools of themselves and say some of the dumbest things (Penn Jillete is one, Kanye West is another).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
[...] It's the Penny Arcade's GIFT in action.

All too true, I'm afraid.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:

I don't normally dabble in politics or social issue but it's better that celebrities keep out them because they often make fools of themselves and say some of the dumbest things (Penn Jillete is one, Kanye West is another).

Maybe so, but as far as I go, the environment should be one where people speak out on at least some degree of freedom for public figures to speak their minds. To a degree.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:11 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:

Maybe so, but as far as I go, the environment should be one where people speak out on at least some degree of freedom for public figures to speak their minds. To a degree.

And now, Japan is passing security bills and amending the no-war clause in their Constitution.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
What a psycho. I do wish that they would enforce this type of action more often. Sadly, there are too many crazy fanboys that are stuck in their own delusions and believe they can throw the word 'kill' around freely.

I mean, really...no matter how much I hate a celebrity, I'd never go out and say anything remotely insane like that.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I find the charge interesting. Does this mean that if his threat didn't interfere with business it would be legal?

My guess is no. But since there was no action involved after it was posted and the police were late in discovering it, it became more of a nuisance than a felony (basically, they had to find a reason to arrest the guy). It's not right, but that's just how it is. I'm just glad they found and arrested this guy.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I find it understand how anyone could have such strong feelings of hate against a voice actress like that. The kind of respect that the voice acting community has for each other doesn't inspire any kind of hatred:

Minori Chihara with Mimori:

https://twitter.com/Yalehhhhh/status/453506323359862784

aww tante minori sama mbak mimori RT @SaitoPPP: アニサマテーマソング、レコーディング順調です! みのりん&みもりんのツーショットいただきましたー! #anisama

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3