• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lupica

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I believe Yufo is also how UFO is said in Britain, if I remember from the old British TV show UFO.

I've always pronounced each individual letter (I'm both old and from Britain) and thought that Yu-Fo was an American variant whenever I heard it on TV growing up; the US was a major influence when we wanted things to seem exotic and futuristic at times. Either way, I guess it's regional, but Yu-Fo is common enough that I think pronouncing the studio name like the way they spell it out in kana is best. Yu-Fo Table.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well. I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years. Thanks!

It's a pleasure.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
So is yu-fo how the Japanese refer to a UFO?

Both /juːfoː/ and /juːefoː/ are used in Japan.
For example, the title of one of the songs sung by Pink Lady, a Japanese female pop music duo that was popular in the 70s, is 'UFO'. In the song, the singers said /juːfoː/.
In the opening sequence of the Japanese dub version of Gerry Anderson's UFO, the narrator (voice actor Yajima Masaaki, who also did the voice of Star Trek's James T. Kirk in the Japanese dub version) said /juːefoː/.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
If so, it seems like it wouldn't be entirely incorrect to pronounce it as U-F-O table in English.

The website of the anime studio ufotable says, 'ユーフォー,' and it indicates the founder of the company chose the pronunciation /juːfoː/.
So, probably it is better for you to say /juːfou teibl/, rather than /juːefou teibl/, when you mention the name of the anime studio.

hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:41 am Reply with quote
As to the general pronunciations of 'UFO', rather than the pronunciation of the part in the specific anime studio's name, Random House Unabridged Dictionary says: /juɛfoʊ/ sometimes /jufoʊ/ (Transliterated into an IPA-like way.)
Collins Concise Dictionary says: [/juːɛfəʊ/] sometimes /juːfəʊ/

Elfen12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
Hey guys, little question here.
Can anyone think of any anime whose emphasis or at least major theme revolves around real places in Japan. I'm interested in anime that, as thoroughly as possible whether incidental or on purpose, illustrate life in Japan as realistic as possible. Such examples I have are Durarara! And Great Teacher Onizuka. Whether it focuses on Japan's entireity, a specific region, city or district , does anyone have any insights in and similar to the ones I've mentioned or that meet my requested criteria? I appreciate all your help and your time!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
Elfen12 wrote:
Hey guys, little question here.
Can anyone think of any anime whose emphasis or at least major theme revolves around real places in Japan. I'm interested in anime that, as thoroughly as possible whether incidental or on purpose, illustrate life in Japan as realistic as possible. Such examples I have are Durarara! And Great Teacher Onizuka. Whether it focuses on Japan's entireity, a specific region, city or district , does anyone have any insights in and similar to the ones I've mentioned or that meet my requested criteria? I appreciate all your help and your time!

Since I have never been there I cannot exactly promise realistic in full, but I might say a couple.

Kiniro Mosaic might be an interesting choice, it is largely about a crossover of a English girl big into Japan with a Japanese girl big into England, but there should be some good putting some Japanese culture and lifestyle into perspective.

When talking about realistic life in Japan, what general comes to mind is the slice of life genre, of characters largely just going about their lives. How realistic they are can be a bit hard to discern, and they are usually not something like Durarara. Most of them are more cutesy.

Kind of reminds me that a few years back there was a lot of talk about a show going to great lengths to be based on real world places...... I think it might have been K-ON.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
I don't know how realistic the slice of life part was, but if you consider Durarara close enough to what you're after, try tsuritama, set in Enoshima, with dozens of location shots. Google it and you'll find lots of different sets of photos comparing scenes with the real places.

You might also enjoy this blog, Otaku Pilgrimages. It only seems to cover a few months in 2012, but you can have fun browsing the archives anyway.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
Please Teacher and Please Twins both take place in the same real semi rural area of Japan. They have both been recently reissued.

Engaged to the Unidentified also takes place in a real town.

The school from K-On! is famously real, though currently not in use. The scenes from the opening are also real.

People have posted links on all of these showing the comparison between the anime and the real thing.

Most of the this world locations in the Tenchi Muyo OAV are of real places though they are not always as close to each other as shown.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Awesome guys thanks. And as for Durarara being realistic I mean more that it emphasized the fact that it took place in a city, a part of Tokyo that is very real. Whether or not it reflects that I'm not sure (I've only been there once and it wasn't enough time to get as an intimate feel with it as I perhaps hoped), but the creators and directors obviously had some image of Ikebukuro in mind when they created the story the anime tells because it gives such a distinct feel of the place. whether or not that was for the affect of the story, or not, it gives me insights into Japanese Culture in perhaps a way many other anime haven't, at least to that extent.

DuskyPredator, definitely, I really do enjoy the Slice-of-Life genre a lot. Of all the genres, Slice-of-Life satisfies that anime need of mine as far as cultural aspects of japan being portrayed through anime. I really just enjoyed how Durarara did it, as it seemed as though while it was a Slice-of-Life, it also had a very specific story to it, a characteristic that in my opinion Slice-of-Life series tend to not have. They are usually somewhat more general or broad in thieir story types, and I don't mean that negatively, it happens to be consistently my favorite genre. I'm definitely going to check out Kiniro Mosaic! Thanks for the recommendation!

Gina Szanboti, thank you for that forum link that's super interesting! That's cool that someone took the time to find the exact places particular scenes took after, thanks for the share! Tsuritama looks interesting too, thank you!

Alan45, Please Teacher and Please Twins, its been years since I've seen those, but I do recall them taking place in such places, that's a great reminder for me thank you! I actually never watched Tenchi Muyo! but maybe this is a reason to watch both the series and the OAV, so that's great, thank you for all the information
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
If you decide to watch Tenchi Muyo! I suggest you start with the three OAV series. Third OAV series has an extra called The Real Tenchi Tour which shows the real life counterparts of the locations shown. Ryoko's cave is real as is the grandfather's shrine though they are not located in walking distance from each other. The bridge taken out in the second episode is in fact, still standing. A lot of the character names are taken from local place names. As I remember the location is on the inland sea a bit north of Hiroshima.
Vittori7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
Excuse me, but I have a question .... by chance there will be a second season of SAKURA TRICK? As it is really nice and fun and many think so.I am looking online I have not found an answer, and then if you can give me an answer please let me would you happy. I hope there is a second set of this anime really amazing and beautifull
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
If anything gets announced, it will be posted to the main page.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know what language Maou and Ashiya speak to each other in the first episode of The Devil is a Part Timer?
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Vittori7--
Please see this page for the latest news updates on the series.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 510 of 569