• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non Non Biyori (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
In the closing for this season there is a shot of the porch with what looks like a very ornate chain hanging from the corner of the porch. It looks like a string of small nested cast iron pots. Does anyone know what this is for? It occurred to me that it could act as a downspout directing water from the porch roof.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 9:

Heh, I like how Natsumi just went old school, dived right into the lake, and caught the fish in a badass style Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
In the closing for this season there is a shot of the porch with what looks like a very ornate chain hanging from the corner of the porch. It looks like a string of small nested cast iron pots. Does anyone know what this is for? It occurred to me that it could act as a downspout directing water from the porch roof.

That is kusari toi/kusari doi (lit. chain rainwater pipe).
It hangs from a gutter and functions as a drainpipe.
You can occasionally see temples, shrines, and Japanese-style houses have kusari toi.

http://kyotoalubm-turedure.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2009/02/post-0aed.html
http://humorphoto.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-202.html

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
@hyojodoji

Thank you very much. I thought that was its purpose. It must be fun to watch the rain cascade from link to link or from basket to basket.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I like how Natsumi just went old school, dived right into the lake, and caught the fish in a badass style

Of all the girls Natsumi is the one that seems to have the most trouble all the time. She'd make a great girlfriend but a lousy wife.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
^
Natsumi has got plenty of great points, you just can't judge her on her (in)ability to clean and cook. Yeah, she's not cut out to be a stereotypical Japanese stay-at-home mother who supports her salaryman husband. But her easy-going happy-go-lucky nature would make her a pleasant spouse and a great mother since she's so great with children. And with her extensive knowledge of practical outdoorsy matters she'd be quite capable at holding down a job, like a farmer or park ranger, or as a conservationist. Provided the job is in an area she's interested in, she'd be really good at it, so she could financially contribute to her family.

So what Natsumi needs is a levelheaded guy who isn't afraid of taking on the household finances, the chores and the cooking, because those are really the only areas that she fails in. And there are increasingly quite a lot of men who enjoy cooking and who know their way around a laundry, so it's a bit sexist to say that she would be a bad wife just because she can't take on traditional gender roles. I personally would rather have a wife who can't clean but who freely enjoys life than a wife who is a neurotic neat-freak.

Anyway, with her personality I think Natsumi will have the easiest life out of all the girls.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah Best Waifu Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
^
She looked really cute in that getup, but she was also uncomfortable and unhappy. I prefer her normal casual/messy look.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
^ ^^ That is about as close to fan service as this series will ever get (I hope). Yes I meant "lousy wife" in the traditional gender role sense and in the Japanese variant. For an unconventional guy she could be perfect.

The odd thing is I feel a bit bad for Natsumi because of that. Note her first reaction when her mom calls her name is to run. Smile She's the only girl that gets in trouble and yelled at on a regular basis. Unfortunately for her the personality type she has just doesn't fit in with the society as naturally as it does for all her peers. Fortunately for her Renge adores her and all her peers are willing to be friends.

I am not big on crossover characters but I would like her to meet up with the girls in Yama no Susume.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
^ ^^ That is about as close to fan service as this series will ever get (I hope).

Well there was that beach episode last season.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@hyojodoji

Thank you very much. I thought that was its purpose. It must be fun to watch the rain cascade from link to link or from basket to basket.

It's a pleasure.
You have a good point. Yes, people enjoy watching rainwater 'climb down' kusari toi.
So kusari toi is not only a pragmatic device but also a fun/aesthetic thing.

DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:13 am Reply with quote
It feels like Natsumi has some good focus this season as a character, showing how someone who might look like an in general trouble maker is just doing what comes naturally. I would have said before that Natsumi was my least favourite of the four main characters, but I have been enjoying her.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 10:

Ah that was cute seeing Renge riding her little bike. Well, she got injured somewhat but it was still an overall charming episode. The funniest parts were her reactions in the first half though imo especially to the "magic trick".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
The funniest parts were her reactions in the first half though imo especially to the "magic trick".

She's quite the character. Gullible on one hand but a math prodigy (mostly unrecognized as such) on the other. And she never gives up -- going from morning until dark if she has to.

Kaede is really a nice person.

NNB is full of beautiful frames but one this episode deserves special mention: when Kaede sends Renge off one last time on her bike and she doesn't fall down but instead rides off stage left. I had to think for a bit if there was a metaphorical meaning in there but I don't think there was. It was just a great bit of art.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
NNB is full of beautiful frames but one this episode deserves special mention: when Kaede sends Renge off one last time on her bike and she doesn't fall down but instead rides off stage left. I had to think for a bit if there was a metaphorical meaning in there but I don't think there was. It was just a great bit of art.

I think it was growing up. Kaede might not be family, but her relationship with Renge is big on helping the younger one out. At that moment Renge went past needing help with that task and rode on, maybe a little sad that she did not need help now. The scene then of Renge still needing help like Kaede getting the candy she wanted that Renge could not reach showed that this relationship is still continuing. Even as Renge continues to be self sufficient, the relationships she has had with people will still have meaning. That was what kind of gave me feels in being about people in general who have these sort of relationships.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it though. I found the youkai thing very funny. Tricking kids for their sense of wonder can be great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15