• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Done] Correction Request: Video Anime Ehonkan Sekai Meisaku Dōwa

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclesporkums

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Hello, I'd like to report that the Japanese title listed for "Video Anime Ehonkan Sekai Meisaku Dōwa" a.k.a. "Funky Fables" anime#4723 is partially incorrect. As someone who's collected many episodes in English, I can attest that series, which goes by the Kanji "ビデオアニメ絵本館 世界名作童話" is actually the mushed together titles of two different series. The former half is a series that is much more serious in design and tone. The latter half of the Kanji "ポンキッキめいさくわーるど" or "Ponkiki Masterpiece World" is the actual series, as you can see by Google searching it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Looks like another "anime detective" case......

unclesporkums wrote:
Hello, I'd like to report that the Japanese title listed for "Video Anime Ehonkan Sekai Meisaku Dōwa" a.k.a. "Funky Fables" anime#4723 is partially incorrect. As someone who's collected many episodes in English, I can attest that series, which goes by the Kanji "ビデオアニメ絵本館 世界名作童話" is actually the mushed together titles of two different series. The former half is a series that is much more serious in design and tone. The latter half of the Kanji "ポンキッキめいさくわーるど" or "Ponkiki Masterpiece World" is the actual series, as you can see by Google searching it.

Hi, the problems / errors of that page have several different parts:

Q1: What exactly was the corresponding title of Saban's Funky Fables in Japanese?

A1: Judging from Funky Fables' screencaps, it is quite clear that the corresponding Japanese title is Ponkicki Meisaku World (ポンキッキめいさくわーるど), produced by Fuji TV and animated by Studio Junio as part of the Hirake! Ponkicki children's program (with two mascots: green Gachapin and red Mukku; together they are known as "Ponkickies").

Funky Fables: Robin Hood
ポンキッキめいさくわーるど ロビン・フッドのぼうけん
(First row, center in the picture of anime#4723)

Funky Fables: The Wizard of Oz
ポンキッキめいさくわーるど オズのまほうつかい
(First row, left in the picture of anime#4723)

Q2: Was the Japanese title always "Ponkicki Meisaku World"?

A2: Not exactly. As you can see from the オズのまほうつかい link above, the plastic case has "Waku Waku Doki Doki Meisaku World" (わくわくどきどき めいさくわーるど) printed on the sleeves as the series title; the original Ponkicki Meisaku World can been seen on the metallic case, along with Ponkicki mascots, which are absent from the plastic case.

Q3: So what exactly is "Video Anime Ehonkan Sekai Meisaku Dōwa"?

A3: An OVA series with 26 episodes, released between 1988 to 1990, animated by Aubeck. The title is a bit off though: the earliest video releases had the title Video Ehon-kan Sekai no Meisaku Dōwa (ビデオえほん館 世界の名作童話) printed on the sleeves, but some later releases had changed the title slightly to Video Anime-kan Sekai no Meisaku Dōwa (ビデオアニメ館 世界の名作童話). Another later omnibus VHS edition changed the title again to Video Anime-kan Sekai no Otogibanashi (ビデオアニメ館 世界のおとぎばなし). Finally, the DVD release changed back to the second title, with one less "no" and more hiragana replacing kanji (ビデオアニメ館 世界めいさく童話). However, at least one recent DVD release of the same series has the title Family Anime DX Sekai Meisaku Dōwa (ファミリーアニメDX 世界めいさく童話). What a mess. Rolling Eyes

By the way, there's a parallel series known as Video Ehon-kan Nihon Otogibanashi (ビデオえほん館 日本おとぎばなし), with just about the same fabulous history of titles. No need to discuss it -- at least for now.

Q4: So what now?

A4: With the picture, all English credits, and most Japanese credits on the page of anime#4723 are of Funky Fables / Ponkicki Meisaku World, plus that's how most of our site users of Anglosphere learned the existence of the series, I'd say the best way would be keeping the page for Funky Fables and move the information regarding Video Ehon-kan Sekai no Meisaku Dōwa to a new page. A page for its parallel series of Japanese folklore will be established as well.

Hope that'll solve the problem; corrections and suggestions are welcomed. If there's no objection I'll start splitting 24 hours after this reply.
So I can take time recovering from the traffic accident.

Additional references not linked above:
ReadMe!Girls!の日記・雑記: 世界のアニメのアリス
Mobilis in Mobile ~ Le mythe du Nautilus et du capitaine Nemo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
You okay, dormcat?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, ditto that; I hope you're OK, dormcat.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys. Hit the brakes too hard when the car in front of me made a sudden, unexpected move, and it was raining with puddles on the road. Got a sprained left wrist, a scraped right elbow, and a grazed + bruised + swollen left knee (I rode on a motor scooter). Fortunately no serious injury (took an X-ray in hospital), and thanks to ibuprofen I can now walk at 80% of normal speed, although it is unlikely for me to run or jog in two weeks.

UPDATE: I've added Video Ehon-kan Sekai no Meisaku Dōwa and Video Ehon-kan Nihon Otogibanashi amd moved / added as much info as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
unclesporkums

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:58 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Dormcat! Appreciate it and I really hope you recover soon!
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Got a sprained left wrist, a scraped right elbow, and a grazed + bruised + swollen left knee (I rode on a motor scooter). Fortunately no serious injury (took an X-ray in hospital), and thanks to ibuprofen I can now walk at 80% of normal speed, although it is unlikely for me to run or jog in two weeks.

I hope that you will get better soon. 祝儞早日康復。

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1