• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overlord (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
If you can't defeat your opponent at only 20-30% of strength, then raise it up to 80% or so to really crush them.

Just like episode 4, it's all about seeing the over-powered denizens of the Ainz guild overwhelm their foes. They made it a little interesting by showing how much of a fight strong denizens of the world could put up against the guild in disguise.

Despite all of Ainz's accomplishments, that last bit of news from Albedo must have been quite the downer. Now viewers know what was the urgent message that was being conveyed to Momonga last week.

SP #5:

More fun and games with the maids and Albedo. I can guess at what Ainz in his emotionally charged state was being shown at the end to make him display the facial expressions he did.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
This show admittedly has some good potential, but there needs to be some drama at some point. So far Ains and his people are just stepping on ants and it's going to get boring fast.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
This show admittedly has some good potential, but there needs to be some drama at some point. So far Ains and his people are just stepping on ants and it's going to get boring fast.

Even though he can step on ants, he wasn't able to save spoiler[the party that he befriended]. I am, admittedly, more interested in the mental/psychological aspects of what Ains is going through and how he's dealing with the various issues that arise.

Last edited by Tuor_of_Gondolin on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
^
I'm interested in the same. I have to say, I've been a bit disappointed at how little time has been devoted to that, however. I was expecting there to be a larger focus on this element based on the first few episodes, but it feels like its been pushed farther in the background. Thankfully, it's never entirely absent for long, either.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Well he will not be going up against ants this time, he will be going up against Shalltear Bloodfallen the second highest ranking npc in the Great Tomb of Nazarick.

Also there was more fighting in the graveyard but Ainz swinging and missing doesn't make for good anime.

and if you want more of Ainz's internal dialog/self reflection sadly you will need to read the LN's, I do not know it they will pursue it anymore in the anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DuskyPredator mentioned Clementine's fantastic voice a few episodes back. That's actually Aoi Yuki, who I have highly respective in many other roles. Definitely a different sound for her, but I love it. Thought she really knocked it out of the park with episode 10.

Made it easier to bring up without being so broken record. Been saying it for a while but it does feel like she put a lot into this role, at the same time I have been following her in Symphogear which she plays the heroine in. It feels a little rare I actually praise a villain as being noteworthy, it felt well done. I do think there were other contributions to her character that also played a part, I would say some of her fighting felt like there was a bit of extra focus on.

And this was brutal, Clementine was hurting herself as shown by her face in struggling to do anything to Ainz, the desperation and brutal death added to the whole scene. Maybe others will not, but I also kind of appreciated some of the Nabe's fight against the dragons, kind of felt that it looked cool.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Wow, they were not kidding at how bloodthirsty Shalltear can be when she is serious. This episode bought out a darker side of her especially with her personality. Interesting to see Brain introduced this episode as well. Too be bad he doesn't really stand a chance.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Ep. 10

Well I now see how they are going to cover Volume 3 in just 4 episodes. Sigh... Up until now Madhouse has done an excellent job of following the source marital but now they are cutting the crap out of it and leaving out a important plot point. I will have to wait and see how they handle the remaining 3 episodes but right now I am very disappointed.

With so much missing and plot points missed, I thought I was watching an episode of Gate.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
#10:

Despite the massive power differential between the online world and this one, Momonga might have made a mistake sending Shalltear considering her trait as an undead vampire. After last week's little hint on some skills in the new world not being present in the old, it seems he'll need to work hard for the rest of the adaptation to save the NPC his fellow guild player created.

Having no access to the source material, I'm reserving judgement on the pacing and narrative of what is to come. Much of the series thus far has focused on Momonga's attempts to gather intelligence about the surrounding world, so a quick flypast of the other NPCs' activities seems necessary given the time and budget allocated for this work.

There is nothing more dispiriting than seeing a lifetime of dedication to the art of the sword being summarily dismissed by a midget vampire dressed in goth lolita fashion using just her fingernail.

SP #6:

More antics featuring a flustered Momonga, Albedo and the battle maids. Interestingly enough viewers find out that one of the maids is actually Momonga's own creation but her performance in overseeing the town from a few weeks back seems a little questionable given her settings.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 10:

Wow, they were not kidding at how bloodthirsty Shalltear can be when she is serious. This episode bought out a darker side of her especially with her personality. Interesting to see Brain introduced this episode as well. Too be bad he doesn't really stand a chance.....

Nobody is the guild is a good guy. They all hate human.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I was already a fan of Shalltear, so I enjoyed the episode. There was some interesting work done while she was in a rampage making things not very clear, what happened to her at the end was especially well vague. It might be something that specifically effects a vampire or undead.

Figures only after this episode I would watch the special #4 and #5, while already figure out from the episode that Solution was a Slime, it got explained a little more clearly.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Her real form is just plain scary.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Heh, so the spoiler[Pandora's Actor] debuts this episode..quite a funny character imo. Otherwise, I thought the episode had a slow pacing even for building up the upcoming battle against Shaltear while rushing the overall story.

We also get to see somewhat of Albedo's vulnerable side.
But I felt this was an underwhelming episode. Hopefully they adapt the fight right with the hype.

Last edited by Stark700 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
Pacing issues with the remaining episode should have been resolved somewhat with this episode accelerating everything towards the final duel. Even the mithril guild leader who gave Momo lip during the meeting was taken out in minutes once the Ainz personnel were deployed.

After watching this episode, I can see why Momonga didn't really want to think about the one NPC he created personally. Somewhat embarrassing to recall his personality and outfit, so he didn't bother changing the settings around when they were still in the online world.

No idea if the Latin inscription they gave this episode is grammatically accurate, but at least the producers were good enough to give the equivalent Japanese translation.

Loss of face for Ainz this episode, what with using his powerful shooting star artifact to no avail because of his miscalculation. At least he has the chance to redeem himself by taking on the most powerful of the guardian NPCs in 1-on-1 combat.

SP #7:

Spotlight on CZ 2128 this episode. What struck me apart from her incongruous appearance was the Gintoki-esque feed from Momonga after he reacted to her "upgrades".
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I am very disappointed in Madhouse for butchering episodes 10 and 11, they have skipped over so much good material just because they only allotted themselves 4 episodes for this Volume. Even when I watch it keeping in mind someone one who does not know the original story, the pacing feels off and disjointed.

The points that they decided to show were up to Madhouse's standard of excellence.

Looking in a mirror (Pandora's Actor) that reflects how you though was cool 10 years ago can be very painful.

Hopefully there will not be any more disemboweling of the story in the last 2 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 22