• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I too noticed Nachetanya's strange behaviour at the altar when the barrier was first lifted. At the time, I didn't think much of it, her exaggerated temper tantrum felt like an excessive overreaction, but I thought that was a fault of the writing. But with every passing week, that exaggerated behavior has become more and more suspicious, and now, even if Adlet't theory about how the barrier was set up could be off by the details, it does seem quite plausible that it was set up after the temple was opened. In light of this, Nachetanya's berserking of the altar vastly increases my suspicions of her.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After all, this anime only covers the first novel out of a planned seven.

Whoa, I thought we were getting at least 2 novels with how much content there seems to be. This makes me even more interested in the source material.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Quote:

Whoa, I thought we were getting at least 2 novels with how much content there seems to be. This makes me even more interested in the source material.

Actually I just noticed that little detail in the review. Where'd the reviewer get this info? I'm not saying whether it's true or not true because this is the first I'm hearing of it.

By info, I'm referring to there supposedly only being 7 novels planned.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Nachetanya shot to my #1 suspect just due to the last few minutes of the episode....the weird coloring looked pretty damn ominous.

I mean, I've suspected her for a while, but it seems the show is starting to frame it as well.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After all, this anime only covers the first novel out of a planned seven. (Presumably one of these novels will be an impostor and must be destroyed.)

Wait, Whuut? One of the seven novels (?) is an impostor and must be destroyed? Uh, ok. Are you advocating the destruction of stories and literature then? Perhaps by fire? How very Fahrenheit 451 of you. Wink Laughing <--jk.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I'm still in the Nachetanya is the traitor boat. She has been the most suspicious from the very beginning. Every time she has an audience, she is the only one putting on some kind of act (whether Goldov, Adlet, or the other braves when they were inside the temple.) I would be genuinely surprised if it is anyone other than her.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh right, one more thing against miss bunny: she was the one who told Adlet to get to the temple. Maybe just concern, but more likely setting him up to take the blame. I'm not entirely sure why Nache is trying to convince Goldov of his innocence, but I guess she's preparing for the inevitable fight and makins sure Goldov will fight when Adlet gets attacked. On the other hand it doesn't make sense that she first tried to make him jealous and now tries to convice him otherwise.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this episode. I still think it's Nachetanya, but Maura's incredibly suspicious. I think there might be another reason for her escalating aggressiveness, though, like maybe a time limit nobody else knows about.
Contrary to the review, I never got the impression that Hans actually believed Maura 100%. It seemed like he was still undecided.
We'll see.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I've come up with a truly weird theory which I started to post before this last episode, then held off, and I'm a little more convinced it's not entirely off base now. Smile

I'm starting to wonder if Nacho is a ringer. By which I mean she's not Nachetanya. There are an awful lot of holes in her story and inconsistencies in her behavior. Someone pointed out the problem of her claiming to have never seen orchards (in a famed agricultural region) just minutes before telling her sob story about being on the run outside the castle and sleeping on the ground. She's supposed to be a battle hardened warrior that no one can beat, but freezes up, faints, goes screaming berserk, or calmly slices and dices depending on the situation and who's watching. She and Goldov have both made a few comments regarding that they don't know each other as well as they once did, and that they've changed during the time he was gone. Maybe she hasn't changed so much as been swapped. Smile

Hans makes a very pointed comment to her about people in her own government hiring his services, and she acts shocked, shocked, despite the fact that her own father tried to have her assassinated. She was supposedly saved by turning out to be a Saint.

What if Hans had been hired to kill her? What if he succeeded? Then this ringer comes home showing off her new Saint powers and no one can gainsay her (maybe she was the Minister's tool to solidify his power). And whadaya know, she turns out to be a Brave too.

The only real flaw in this is that it seems like Hans would have outed her, but maybe he figures that some sketchy Braves like him and Chamot got chosen, so not being who she says she is doesn't necessarily mean she's not a Brave. Or maybe he wasn't the one who had the contract, but had heard about it through the grapevine and just decided to poke that beehive to see what flew out.

The rest of this doesn't have anything to do with that flight of fancy above, but if we assume there is an 8th accomplice, and that 8th is Lauren as I've been advocating for awhile now, a number of pieces fall into place. I'm going to actually be disappointed if all those shots of the spotless and neatly arrayed weaponry were to save money with static shots and not a plot point. There's no guarantee that his instructions were correct. Despite my previous assertions, raising the barrier might be as simple as putting sword A in slot B. But I kind of think Nacho can't control blades not of her own making? So I don't think she used her power to raise the barrier. Maybe you activate it by removing the sword and then breaking the tablet; chanting "I will be the master/mistress of the barrier" may or may not be included. That would explain why Adlet's dusting for handprints or whatever he was looking for turned up nothing.

But it doesn't hinge on the ritual being different from what we know (I think it is, since Adlet finally brought it up) - if Lauren is in on it, then knowing that Nacho and Goldov were the last ones coming through means he doesn't have to stay at his post any longer (or if, as I believe, the "survivors" at the fort are all in on it, should Hans or Chamot happen along after all, they could meet a different "Private Lauren" and never know). This frees up a number of soldiers and/or demons, which there are aplenty, to raise a fog in a limited area, rather than the entire forest (I'm not convinced by Flamie's dismissal of the possibility, since the whole forest being covered isn't necessary and I can think of several ways to do it in a limited area). The bombing might have been in part related to raising this fog rather than only for attracting the Braves to the area. And Nacho was the one who sent him ahead to the temple.

And if Hans ever called Nacho "princess" before he was told, I sure can't find it. I can't even find anywhere he acknowledged her at all before she was on the steps to give her speech. If I'm not blind, then she's outright lying about that. On the other hand, there's no way she wasn't already outed as the Princess in Hans' presence after hearing Adlet's long-winded tale. He would certainly have mentioned her being the Princess (but maybe he just said she was a Princess, and Hans didn't know from where until Goldov got all huffy. Maybe that's why he was suddenly even more interested in her story). But what Hans actually says still isn't damning, as he was just needling Goldov about being interested in his untouchable princess. The only truely suspicious thing Hans said was that Maura had a bad memory because she couldn't connect two faces with names she didn't know. Why would he say that?

Anyway, I think her conversation with Goldov was designed to point the finger at Hans so that her defense of Adlet would logically stick, and her baring her chest was to reinforce his feelings for her, to keep him in her corner should Adlet ever wake up and leave it. She's just stoking his jealousy to keep him from thinking rationally.

Despite all this, I still think Maura is a distinct possibility, since she fits into a lot of the same slots as Nacho does. Her motive is less clear to me though. Impostor or not, Nacho might still harbor ill-feelings toward her father and the kingdom for her treatment (and/or have gone crazy during her exile) and if she's an impostor, she could just simply be in league with the demons like Adlet's villagers. I haven't come up with a motive for Maura.

Finally, I still think there's some significance to the Sun Saint being missing and not just killed. See impromptu fog raising and science... Wink
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't Maura know the temple activation sequence because she's the head saint? So if it was something other than what they were told she'd have pointed it out. I don't remember if she was there when they talked about it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
^ You'd think, but she explicitly claimed she didn't know the details until she heard them from Lauren. However, if she's the 7th, maybe that's a lie, and she and Lauren came up with a false procedure to tell everyone else. I mean, someone on the demon side had to know the correct procedure if Lauren was lying. How would they find out? Saint Sunny perhaps?
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I really enjoyed this episode. I still think it's Nachetanya, but Maura's incredibly suspicious. I think there might be another reason for her escalating aggressiveness, though, like maybe a time limit nobody else knows about.
Contrary to the review, I never got the impression that Hans actually believed Maura 100%. It seemed like he was still undecided.
We'll see.

I agree that I don't think Maura convinced Hans. I think he still believes in his personal guilt test when he made Adlet think he was going to kill him.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
I told you guys the fog was just a ruse and the barrier was activated later than everyone thought it was.

While Maura has seemed like she's panicking, everything she's done and said is exactly what a completely innocent person would have done too. So either Maura is guilty or she's super innocent. And she has been fixated on Adlet, which is exactly what someone who believed he was the enemy would do. Find the imposter, kill him, get out of the place and go kill some demon king.

Whereas Bunny Girl has been acting not shady or unimpeachable but all over the place. Her actions and demeanour have wildly swung between normal airheaded girl and very suspicious schemer. It's as if she's acting and not revealing her true self. She has clearly been manipulating poor Goldov, she had that very weird bit where she attacked Adlet and then passed it off as playfighting, she sent Adlet on ahead, she smashed the dias . . .

And tell me, does this girl look innocent to you?

If you're thinking that those bunny ears are framed a lot like horns, you'd be right. Factor in the striking red colour plus the fact that she is shown when "demon god" is spoken, and wow, that is one foreboding image.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Quote:

I thought so as well, so I checked around a bit, and indeed the latest episode (#9) ended on a point that marks the start of the last quarter-or-so of the 4th chapter of the 1st LN (out of 5 chapters + epilogue).

I only know of Kyōkaisenjō no Horizon as the another LN adaptation that was based of 1 LN volume per cour. Well, technically it was based on 2 LNs per cour, but both were Part A & Part B (1st cour - LN 1A + 1B, 2nd cour - LN 2A + 2B), so it's a Lord of the Rings situation here.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
My post from another forum on episode 10. Basically, damn, I'm pretty confident my traitor guess is wrong.

spoiler[Well shit, pretty sure my theory is totally wrong now. I feel like Maura can't possibly be the traitor. I would assert that she displays behavior consistent with Narcissistic Personality Disorder and Paranoid Personality Disorder; she's made a decision that there's no possible way anyone but Adlet can be the traitor, but she's also afraid that he will be able to convince other people she's wrong, resulting in them losing confidence in her. I think it's less about her needing to get rid of the traitor and more her needing to be the one in control and with the most power. You can see how she basically bullies Chamot into obeying her, and how she knows exactly what to say to manipulate Nachetanya into staying under her control. If she were the traitor, she wouldn't reveal her cards to Hans there and would likely just let Chamot kill him.

The other thing I thought of was how we're watching from Adlet's eyes so, to us, he's clearly being persecuted, but it would be a crazy twist if he were actually the traitor. Maybe he was just brainwashed into thinking everything he's doing is for the good of the group. Basically just like Maura, he's zealous in his mistaken logic.

Other thing I thought of is, assuming Adlet is not the traitor, I bet this season will end with him figuring out who the traitor is, but the group also split between people he successfully convinced and people the traitor successfully convinces. In other words, by the end, I'm thinking it won't matter who the original traitor is, since each side will be completely hostile to the other.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 28