• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri / Shoujo Ai Recommendation Thread.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
@ Chiibi

Well, everyone's own sexuality influences how they view media. We all have differing tastes and biases, and there's nothing wrong with that. As an audience we like to project ourselves into the characters, and find at least one to relate to. As such it's easy for me read a character as queer. But that's what I love about this thread; so many different people that relate to the same media differently.

As far as Yuna goes, the fact that the scenes are comedic don't matter to me, because well.. the show is 95% comedic. Usagi's crushes are played for comedy too Smile Speaking of Sailor Moon, I didn't mean to imply that Usagi wasn't straight; my bad if I did! Personally, I read Yuna as gay (or bi). Others are free to interpret her actions as platonic or comedy. I think the shoujo ai list is a good place for it. I changed the description so that people would get a better idea of what to expect. I think I got a bit over zealous with that show, so thanks for pointing out that some may not see it the same as I do Smile

Quote:
I think yuri and yaoi fans tend to exaggerate things and see stuff that wasn't intended to be seen in that light. And I don't think you do it on purpose; but when you are exposed to it so much, you WILL start to see it.....everywhere.

If my perception of yuri elements in a show is hopeful, it's not because there's too many yuri anime; it's because there's not enough. I like all romances (yuri,yaoi,het) but I relate to yuri best, and I prefer it esp. when watching with my girlfriend Smile I for sure know what you mean when it comes to fandoms though... and I'd rather not kick that hornet's nest Anime hyper I don't want to put K-on! on a yuri list just because there's a fandom for Yui X Azusa.

Quote:
I think you will enjoy VVV. Sumire and Lucia are super-cute....and they look so nice together! There is totally something there.

Aw they do look cute! Smile I think I will enjoy it Anime hyper

As for Kannazuki / Destiny of the Shrine Maiden I agree; relationship was not healthy (for reason I posted in spoilers). I didn't care for anyone in that show because I thought it was so cliche and silly. Still it's 100% yuri and a lot of people like it, so it belongs on the list. On chemistry I agree; what seems most natural and who has the best chemistry should end up together ideally. But then again it doesn't even work out that way in real life sometimes so I guess it depends on what a writer wants. They can always mess up and unintentionally make one pair of characters have better chemistry than another!
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
Here is another problematic candidate that I'll let you evaluate.

Mnemosyne
Rin and Mimi certainly have had a homosexual relationship at some point in their long lives and may still be continuing their relationship when the story begins. Their intimacy lets them share scenes like this. Rin is bisexual, spoiler[mostly I think because, as an open-minded immortal, she has tried pretty much everything along the way], but I'm not sure that Mimi is spoiler[despite also being immortal or some variation thereof]. Rin faces some lesbian antagonists along the way, and there is also an infamous and rather gratuitous lesbian orgy in episode five. I think the relationship between Rin and Mimi is sincere enough to perhaps qualify for this list, but in general I see the lesbian elements of this show largely driven by fanservice.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
@Lili-hime: Thanks for being cool :> (I also love all types of romances ^^)

I have something great to share about Yuna

Spoiler for second OVA

spoiler[You remember how tragically it ended with Ayako being murdered by her own sister, right? That totally broke my heart because I so adored her character....and it hurt Yuna so much too....and yeah, that OVA both saddened AND pissed me off lol.]

BUT

Did you know Yuna was originally a game? Yep, I cannot remember what system they made it for...however in one of them spoiler[AYAKO COMES BACK.] I'm serious! There are clips on youtube and Yuna cries and hugs her....it's really really cute....so check it out when you have time. Anime hyper It so made my day.

I am surprised nobody mentioned My Hime or My Otome; those have canon yuri pairings, right?
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
@Lili-hime: Thanks for being cool :> (I also love all types of romances ^^)

No problem! Very Happy I try my best Smile

chiibi wrote:
Did you know Yuna was originally a game? Yep, I cannot remember what system they made it for...however in one of them spoiler[AYAKO COMES BACK.] I'm serious! There are clips on youtube and Yuna cries and hugs her....it's really really cute....so check it out when you have time.

Omg actually I did know this!!! Wow I never thought I'd find a fellow Yuna fan!! Very Happy I think the games were for Saturn & Playstation? I found some of the clips on Youtube too but I haven't fully watched them, so thank you for letting me know that spoiler[Ayako comes back! Very Happy] Now I'm more motivated to watch them start to finish X3 I have a soft spot for games of that era, even if it's in Japanese I can't wait now!

chiibi wrote:

I am surprised nobody mentioned My Hime or My Otome; those have canon yuri pairings, right?

Ooooh right! My friend used to draw lots of them until she became a full time Nozomi X Eli artist. Has anyone reading this thread seen either of these anime and willing to comment? They're high on my to watch list now.

yuna49 wrote:
Here is another problematic candidate that I'll let you evaluate.
Mnemosyne

Added it to the list! Smile Thank you! I think we're good as long as people know what they're getting into. It sounds a tad too dark for me but I hope others will enjoy Smile I had a tough enough time getting through Devil Lady.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wow I never thought I'd find a fellow Yuna fan!!

Aw yeah!! :'D It was probably within the first five OVAs I ever bought on tape!! Both tapes are still in a box somewhere since I managed to find the DVD with all five eps at a con recently. I've also got a big wall scroll and a couple of figures. :3 I always thought it was just really cute and I like to collect cute things. Anime hyper I've seen and collected quite a few OVAs. Basically if an animu OVA was licensed in the 90s, I've at least seen, own, or heard of it. Anime hyper
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:07 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime--

Regarding Mai HiME and Mai Otome: There is -- if I recall correctly -- a yuri relationship in the former. Also, if I recall correctly the latter is slow for the first third of its presentation.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Aw yeah!! :'D It was probably within the first five OVAs I ever bought on tape!!

Lucky!! I wanted this series so bad back when I was a baby weeabo. I saw adds in Animerica / Tokyopop and it gave me a strong Sailor Moon vibe plus it looked super cute. Sadly I didn't actually watch the series until about 3 years ago and I was going through a list of yuri/shoujo ai anime and remembered it. I DID however get the DVD from amazon so yay! Very Happy I'd kill for a Yuna wallscroll btw!

nobahn wrote:

Regarding Mai HiME and Mai Otome: There is -- if I recall correctly -- a yuri relationship in the former. Also, if I recall correctly the latter is slow for the first third of its presentation.

Ok, I will add both shows to the list and I'll leave the description straightforward unless someone wants to write something more detailed.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
One problem with My-HiME is that any information about the yuri relationship would be a spoiler. The most you could really say would be that there is a canon yuri relationship that will be revealed late in the show.
There is also a relatively low-key shoujo ai relationship with a different couple.

My Otome has a shoujo ai relationship between the two main characters that is not really blatant but still very definite, or so it seems to me.
This is one of my favorite shows, mostly because of the way that those two characters grow and develop as individuals and as partners.
My Otome also has another relationship that could probably qualify as non-consequential yuri.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Touma! Added both under shoujo ai, if anyone thinks it should be bumped up to the yuri list let me know!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

I endorse your recommendation of Sasameki Koto: the first episode is rather better than the rest but the female lead is one of my favourite anime characters. It and the manga are a tease, though - the will they/won't they is drawn out as much as possible.

I will jump on the bandwagon for this title. I actually found out about the anime via the manga. I got the first omnibus collection of the manga (printed under the US name Whispered Words) and got hooked. Had to buy the second volume and then watch the anime.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
errinundra wrote:

I endorse your recommendation of Sasameki Koto

I will jump on the bandwagon for this title. I actually found out about the anime via the manga. I got the first omnibus collection of the manga (printed under the US name Whispered Words) and got hooked. Had to buy the second volume and then watch the anime.

Ok I added both these posts and am starting to make an additional 'reccomended by' section under the titles. So for anyone new to the thread if you really liked any of the titles in the original post, feel free to say so and I'll add your name to the list with a link to your post Smile Thanks again everyone! I must buy the Sasameki Koto manga... I think I'm going to splurge and get that and Citrus when I get paid next Anime hyper If you're into yuri manga Girlfriends is also very good.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:34 am Reply with quote
Really great list, thanks for this. I really appreciate the little capsule commentaries. Sadly, it looks like I've already seen a lot of the best stuff (Sweet Blue Flowers, Utena, etc.), along with some of the worst (why oh why is the Strawberry Panic anime so boring when the LNs were so fun?). I should probably clear out some room in the Crunchyroll queue for Sasameki Koto.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I should probably clear out some room in the Crunchyroll queue for Sasameki Koto.

Sasameki Koto is definately worth the time, one of my favorites! How does everyone feel about adding Diebuster or Black Rock Shooter to the shoujo ai list?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I feel like that list should differentiate which titles are actual yuri titles and others that have yuri couples as side characters. I don't want peeps getting the wrong idea that titles like Bodacious Space Pirates and Psycho Pass are yuri titles when they just have yuri side couples.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Psychopass isn't even on the list. I haven't watched it outside the first few episodes but I know yuri is there between the two women who work for the cops as well as one of the villains who falls into the 'predatory lesbian' cliche.

But I could add a third catergory for 'yuri as a side element' and move Bodacious Space Pirates there, and add things like Psycho Pass and Sailor Moon in there.

EDIT: Added third catergory. Will add BRS probably later when I'm off work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6