• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Houseki no Kuni (Country of Jewels) by Haruko Ichikawa

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I bought two volumes of this Japanese manga without knowing what it was about, solely because of the stylized art, but also the unique manga covers.

Published by Afternoon KC.

Houseki no Kuni is by Haruko Ichikawa. I've seen the English translation to be Country of Jewels or Country of Gems.

It is about a race of human looking beings that are made of gems/jewels. They are constantly under attack from the "Moon People" who seek to destroy them and take their shards back to the moon for decorations, adornment, and more grisly as weapons to use against the jewel people.

The moon people forces arrive as Shiva like avatars, all smiles as they do their evil deeds, slowly descending from the sky for their attack, and slowly ascending into the sky to bring their bounty back to the moon.

I don't really think that we are seeing the actual "moon people", but rather their quite articulated weapons platforms, for the lack of a better word.

For me, I fell in love with the stylized art work. Don't know why, but it just resonated with me.

Though the jewel people are described as male and refer to themselves as brothers, they look (for the most part) as female and dress as females.

When I finally read the fan translations, my first thought was that this was going to be a Steven Universe clone, but that couldn't be the farthest thing from the truth. The jewel people are actually made from the jewels that are their name. This also plays an important part in the story.

Give it a look, I liked the art work, character designs, and the ongoing story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1