• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Problem with the way the site loads

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
I have my skin set to no skin, and I have my view mode set to "text-only list view" ("compact" mode on my phone). However, every single time I load any page, it fully loads both the ad skin and the "grid view with images" view mode.

This should not be happening.

Sure, it's not as much of a problem on my laptop, which quickly changes to my actual settings (although it forces me to be on another tab while I do it, as it gives me a headache to see the images flashing on and off). But on my phone? I am being forced to waste data to download images that I have explicitly stated that I do not want to see, using up my data allowances.

I get that the ad skins are important, and I get that "grid view with images" is the default mode for the site. But I should not be forced to load it and wait for the site to remove it every single time I load any page. Even if I'm going back to the main page from an article, it RELOADS the "standard" view and then I have to wait for it to change again before I can do anything else.

If anything, leave the ad skins as they are (I'll adblock them individually to avoid the headache), but at least have the site load a no-images version, and then add the images/change the layout if the user is set for that. The front page images should never be stealing data from someone who has indicated they don't want them.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I have my skin set to no skin, and I have my view mode set to "text-only list view" ("compact" mode on my phone). However, every single time I load any page, it fully loads both the ad skin and the "grid view with images" view mode.

That's strange that the skin is loading. That shouldn't be happening.

The way we've implemented the different layouts though, it's normal. Your browser downloads everything, and then decides how to display it. That's why you can change between layouts instantly, instead of reloading the page entirely. This is the standard way to do this (ie: other websites do it this way too), and I'm not sure if there's a simple way around it.

I do understand the concern, since you're using "text only" to save bandwidth. I'll point this out to Dan to see if there's anything that can be done.

Since he might ask for it (in regards to the skin issue, which I believe is a bug), can you tell me the usual information?

Your browser & version, etc...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Oh wait... You're not a subscriber. You can't turn off the ad-skins.

"Default Appearance" removes your user selected skin, but it will still change to the ad-skin any time there is one of those.

Our bad for labeling it "no skin." We've changed that label.

Regarding the no-image layouts. We agree that it would be preferable if they didn't load images at all. Unfortunately, it's actually really tricky to implement something like that given the way we've programmed the site.

Dan is going to try to fix it, but it will take some time. No promises on any eta.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Eep, forgot to reply with the browser info, sorry!

Chrome 42.0.2311.90 on Windows 7, and I do use AdBlock partially. Chrome's AdBlock doesn't work the same as Firefox's, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm blocking. I'm trying to block just the box ads (my mouse glitches and clicks them on accident, plus they often have sound/video) and the "around the web" stuff. Not the skins, I get rid of those via options.

And I am using the "back to default skin (no skin)" option, but even after re-selecting it, it's still loading the skin, then taking it away.

If it helps, I didn't notice the skin thing until the Log Horizon manga/light novel ad a few weeks ago.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
we're working on a fix for this Smile
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the update.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
Not sure this is part of the fix being worked on, but now, most times I come to the site, I have to load another page or refresh, because the skin is displayed for me completely, instead of loading and disappearing. Refreshing puts it back to the loading and disappearing.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to apologize for the fact that this isn't fixed yet...

It is very high on the to-do list.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Dessa, I'm not sure what you're expecting. If you've gone to animenewsnetwork.com/skin/ and clicked "back to default appearance", when an ad skin is running the default appearance is to display the ad skin. If you don't want the ad skin you have to select "ANN 5.0" or another skin. If the ad skin is loading and disappearing, that sounds like an adblocker doing its thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
It's not my adblock doing weird things. There's only 2 ads blocked on ANN (no clue what they are, but I'm assuming they're the box ads and around the web). The number doesn't change whether or not the skin shows up or not (it just loaded the F/sn skin, said 2, I refreshed, the skin went away, and it still says 2).

If the skin were blocked, it would still leave the gap where the skin should be, and it's not doing that.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Not sure this is part of the fix being worked on, but now, most times I come to the site, I have to load another page or refresh, because the skin is displayed for me completely, instead of loading and disappearing. Refreshing puts it back to the loading and disappearing.

If you're talking about mobile/tablet, then I understand a little bit. When the page loads the skin is displayed for a fraction of a second before the layout switches to mobile mode. This is something I'm going to fix. But in an earlier post you were talking about Chrome 42.0.2311.90 on Windows 7, not mobile.

But when you say "the skin is displayed for me completely" and then goes away after a refresh... I have no idea what kind of bug you're describing. On mobile I have no idea what could cause the skin to display completely and I can't reproduce it. And on desktop the skin *should* be displayed completely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, you'll be glad to know that at least on mobile I fixed the skin issues with flickering and loading unnecessary images.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
And now you'll be even more glad! I've fixed the loading of unnecessary images on the front page. A big bandwidth and time saver if you're using text mode on mobile.

Honestly, thanks for bugging me about that, Dessa. It was easier than I expected and it's a big win for everyone.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
LOL, you're welcome.

If I catch the "load skin, refresh to take out skin" thing again (whatever you tweaked for mobile, it's been behaving since last night on my PC), I'll try to take a video, in case seeing it in action helps.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1