• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
time zones

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klipso

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:32 pm Reply with quote
my computer will say 9.00 when the site says 8:50 which time thing do i set the site to in my profile for 10 min.?
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:44 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, the time that comes up as posting time is based off of either GMT (is that right for Grenwich), or off of the time your post goes through the ANN server. In order to change it, you'd have to reset your own computer clock time ahead 10 minutes. The main reason for using the time based off of one source is so you don't have one post at one time and the next post says it was posted earlier, even though it is obviously posted after the previous post.

EDIT: Just as an example, I posted this and it said the time was 8:44 PM, while my own computer says it's 8:52, and the other computer in the house says it's 8:15 (my clock is way off on that one even though I reset it every couple of days).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:15 pm Reply with quote
The server clock was 8 minutes slow. It was like this for a couple months and for some reason I never fixed it... I just synched it with a proper time source, so the forum time's will be exact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1