• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
frentymon, I added the entire Index to the first post. PM me if you make any changes that need to implemented and I'll re-copy and paste the edits.

On my screen it only shows posts by user through the letter M. Maybe my screen didn't load all the way but for me the first post stops at M for the users. Where did N-Z go?

edit---NM. Either I'm just a dumb ass and didn't see Tempest's post below or he edited it before I finished typing this post which may be the case since I did use the bathroom and get a drink before submitting.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
Whoops, when I previewed the entire Index it showed everything. But when I submitted the edit, it seems to have erased all of the opener's list Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop... However, I've gone back and split the list into the first two posts now. Guess I should've realized earlier about that overload glitch.
Rinoax3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Shocked wow Shocked ... must have taken you forever to finish that... GOOD JOB Very Happy

but i still recommend making a new thread because the pages are just too long and mostly spam.. Razz. Also locking this thread is a good idea since it has value infomation Very Happy
guardiangelboi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
hmm
Sarki-Kun is a good list even tho theres only 5, 4 are masterpieces >_>
ah i m new here but i've seen alot of anime despite my post ^ ^
in no order due to different genre
1.twelve kingdoms
its probably one of the best out there but i m a fan of "crouching tiger hidden dragon" kinda thing. it was my fav back when it was still ranked 100+ on animenfo's top 200 list. its slow paced in the beginning but its a show where u watch a pathetic character grow from within. and if u like grand scale warfare and imperial politics and that stuff =) its a must see. if u like naruto/suzumiya kinda show don't bother watching.

2.Nodame Cantabile
i have to say this is one of the masterpieces without a doubt. its about music, yes and not many hardcore anime fans might think they might be interested but check out the ratings. i used to play classical but it amazed me how indept it went into the different pieces. if u absolutely hate classical there is still the good storyline. its humor is also alittle more mature. if u are restricted to full metal panic kinda humor please dun bother watching.
its graphical detail might not be detail like the lazer beams in gundam seed or the space of last exile but every bow stroke and every key is drawn to fit the music played. its not some cheapo anime or tv drama that they draw/act whatever. its first rate gold piece =.= no doubt.

3. Hunter X Hunter
if ur watching dragonball now just stop. unless its the the last OVA then its amazing. hunter x hunter is probably the "mid kiddy" show but full of action unlike the 10,000 fillers of naruto/bleach/one piece. this is the show i use to convert anime skeptics into 100% otakus. my cousins never watched anime b4 but could go 25 episodes a day non-stop on this 1. not amazing graphics but the storyline is just great. the best part comes in the ova. iono y but people just get hooked and i m no exception.

4. Gintama
most of u probably never heard of this but its still showing. due to the absolutely SLOW fansubbing of this anime most people have ended up watching raws. chinese fansubbing is already at episode 65+ while english ones are probably 33? if ur not above 16 u probably won't understand the jokes. requires some reading as the subbing will explain how it relates to jokes which usually relates to cultures in japan. they also poke fun of different anime like deathnote and well... many others. if u have quite a broad knowledge of animes then its a must see. then again if ur into the mainstreak one piece stuff =.= don't bother

5. Bartender
well most kids won't watch this period. no action no AMAZING graphics nothing much. but the whole setup of the anime is amazing. it doesn't make u laff off ur seat or pump adrenaline thru ur veins but it gives u a sort of soothing feeling. its a great example of a "smooth" anime to watch. most animes u get stuck at probably episode 3? 15? 30? depending how many episodes there are... there is no other word but its the most pleasant anime to watch.

6. Ouran host club
Most anime with comedy + school life + romance anime usually combine school life + romance but separate comedy into a different section. its a different kind of comedy compared to suzumiya haruhi. this is the ONLY anime i watched more than once. its enjoyable, a light kind of comedy.. hysterical at times. its not that kinda giggle u get when u watch something lame. the jokes are original, well atleast presented in an original way.

7. Claymore
i asked around my group of anime friends. they'll kill me if i don't put this in the list. chix + 2h sword + alittle gore (not my type but) omg =.= the fighting is amazing. some question the way each character is introduced but if u play a wide variety of mmorpg it all makes sense... if only they would make it a game... story is great... EVERY episode is full of action... or was there one without? can't remember but so far haven't heard anyone dislike it. its action aaaaaall the way. its a guy's show ofcourse =)

8. Bokura ga ita
yes yes, those of u who have heard of it probably watched one episode and think "its a girl's show". errr... can't deny that but its kinda like korean drama with twists and turns and >__> but amazing show indeed

10. School Rumbel
many of u watch this i think. when is S3 coming out?!?! if u think girls are hard to understand as well... watch this... love octagon? + comedy + alittle humor like green green.(not that hardcore) yes this anime is just a good laff... sorry but it beats full metal panic hands down IMO. don't disagree till u've watched it. a classic comedy period.

here comes the bad.
no order.
1. Doujin work
yes yes i know some people like it. i dled 3 episodes and wasted 1 hour going like ---_--- this. if u like that kind of story line there is a pretty similar one with better drawing more mature jokes and better storyline. try Genshiken seriously.
how i stumbled upon this? i was bored and just dled everything i saw. talk about luck.

i probably deleted all the bad ones >_> don't remember the names ahahahah Anime hyper

overated(s)
1.naruto
yes i watch it. every single week i watch it. but when u look at most charts and stuff... whos the most enthusiastic about voting and stuff... kids 14 and below. wide target audience duh it gets good ratings coz most older kids can't be bothered. storyline is ok but every episode thats NON FILLER (omg finally?) ends with a cliff hanger. when is there gonna be a battle like naruto vs gaara

2.bleach
yes i watch it. every single week. i even have all 4 bleach psp games. since the bounto fillers ended. how many non fillers have we had? and its filler AGAIN? they want $. $ driven anime pisses me off. for the producers to trip this long and for the fillers to be YES part of the anime its really dragging it down more than its supposed to.
2Real

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
Wow, that is very well done Freytmon. Don't know why you went throught all of that but it looks good and all the links i tried worked.

I still think it was fine the way it was.

Since you did get all of that done it would be nice to have it on the 1st page or 2 because most pages just get lost in the endless amount that are there.

Also will be easier to get ahold of it that way with the title on the thread listings being linked to the 1st page.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
Since you did get all of that done it would be nice to have it on the 1st page or 2 because most pages just get lost in the endless amount that are there.

Yes I think it should be copied there as well. Just make sure you save the code in notepad or wordpad unto your harddrive first. Since there is a size limit, and you might have to fudge around with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
2Real wrote:

Yes I think it should be copied there as well. Just make sure you save the code in notepad or wordpad unto your harddrive first. Since there is a size limit, and you might have to fudge around with it.

Uh.. have you guys actually looked at the first two posts? I added the Index almost right after he made them Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
2Real wrote:

Uh.. have you guys actually looked at the first two posts? I added the Index almost right after he made them Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop.
Embarassed

Nope actaully I haven't looked since right after this was made. Sorry. Embarassed

Well good then.

What happened to the thread rules?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, great job on that index, frentymon. I'm happy that I got a (Q) next to my name, although I do wonder how you found time to read every single list. Shocked My two lists are both drastically different now, though, so I really should update that post of mine.

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
The thread rules were actually deleted because the indexes created some kind of data overload that was too much for one post. Most people seem to make detailed lists nowadays anyway, so I don't think we really need those rules anymore. But if people still post one-liners, I'll just delete them without question. Most of the users that post those one-liners usually have maybe half a dozen, total, and probably wouldn't care, or even notice, that their post was gone.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
If it's not too much trouble (due to the overload thing), you might want to remove "[Read first 2 posts]" from the title since the rules are gone now. I highly doubt that you seriously want everyone to read the index in its entirety. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I did this a while ago, and I've seen more that I enjoyed so here's my revised.

FAVORITE:

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Brilliant. Most amazing depth of characters and story I've ever seen. Great animation for it's time, great music. Couldn't ask for anything more.

2. Trigun - Loved it. Vash the Stampede was a totally unique character who's been redone since (Abel from Trinity Blood). But still remains my favorite main character of any anime. I loved Tsuneo Imahori's music, the voice acting was amazing, and the story was amazing. Knives is also one of my favorite villians.

3. Cowboy Bebop - While not the most original main character, Spike is entertaining nonetheless. The fights were spectacular, I loved the music, and the whole general vibe of the show. While the ending has gotten a lot of criticism, I loved it.

4. The Soultaker - Totally unique show. No one can say they've seen anything like it. While the direction and animation is odd and at times hard to follow it makes for a really cool feel. This show has more story and twists in 13 episodes than any show ever made. Not for everyone, but to me, unreal.

5. FMP Fumoffu - Without a doubt, the funniest series I've ever seen. Not the most original story or characters, but just genius humor through every episode.

6. Kanon - Just recently saw this anime, and I was totally blown away. Gut wrenching at times, but thats ultimately what makes it so great. It also had a great surprising ending. Through that show I just kept thinking I knew what was gonna happen, but was almost always surprised.

7. FLCL - Though short, it always leaves a lasting impression. Every time I see it, I seem to catch something I missed the last time around. And obviously a great soundtrack.

8. Onegai Teacher - Great one. Although the premise is pretty ubsurd it makes for an amazing show. Totally funny, and one of the things I love most is that spoiler[people actually get together, not just date, but screw. I hate that about some anime, it real life, people screw]

9. Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Great show all around. Pretty original concept set it a very generic way. Loved Kyon as the main character. Think it gets a little more credit than it deserves, but other than that, it was great.

10. Midori no Hibi - Completely rediculous anime. But I think that's why I love it. Really funny, really cool main character.

As far as worst goes, I've gone over mine already, no new ones.
tigerx422

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I can understand the need to require substantiation for each entry in such a list yet, I am warning whoever may feel necessitated to complain about the lack of specific examples, that I have no intention of stating how a specific event/character buttresses my claim. I will simply list my favorite 10 and least favorite 5, give an explanation and leave it at that.

10 Most Favorite (In no particular order, mostly because I enjoyed each at the different time intervals I watched them; there was never a situation where I had to choose to watch one over the other, so I could never really put any claims to the test.)

1. Hunter X Hunter, and I am including the 62 episode TV series and the three following OVA's in this. I am not too much of a stickler with animation, so as long as it is passable I usually have no qualms. The series started off slowly, as I thought the introduction to the end of the third Hunter test was simply the fleshing out of the characters, and of course introducing the epic friendship that was Gon and Killua. It was after the third test that I truly became enamored with this series. Without spoiling anything, the tragic fate of Kurapica in his main arc, combined with the cute, impossibly powerful bonds of friendship forged by Gon between himself and the others both tugged at my heart strings. Something I also enjoyed was the clever nature of the creator of the Manga, Togashi, which manifested itself noticeably in the anime. I speak of the fact that none of the arcs, besides the Greed Island one, and that only on the basic level of finishing the game, were completely resolved. Each had a particularly poignant, unfinished aspect to it, giving room for even more in depth expansion of all the characters. In terms of a Shounen Anime, Hunter X Hunter's system of Nen was an effective tool for allowing the growth of strength in each character, and the system itself was in depth enough to leave room for improvement. I only hope Togashi decides to write more of the manga soon so that the fourth OVA can be released soon.

2. History's Strongest Disciple: Kenichi I don't have much to say on this, besides the fact that I appreciate the attempt to incorporate as many real life details as possibly in an obviously idealistic, slightly stereotypical martial arts anime. The techniques attempted by the main character, Kenichi, are all (besides a few of the Kempo ones, the Chi aspect is delved into some detail here) practiced in real life. The structure isn't anything new, as the main character must gain strength to get stronger and defeat stronger opponents of his first main enemy group, Ragnarok. However, what I appreciated instantly was the fact that the stereotypical "snake" or "demon" figure, Nijima, was not stereotypical at all, in fact siding with Kenichi. This coupled with the comedic element hooked me by the second episide, and I fervently await the subs every Monday so that I can see more of Kenichi's growth.

3. Yu Yu Hakasho Unfortunately, I have nothing substantial here. This anime just sticks to me like an endeared, drunken uncle (?). I didn't find it particularly innovative or its animation to be revolutionary, but I enjoyed every episode. I'm sorry I can't give more of an analysis on this one.

4. Dragon Ball Ahhh, Dragon Ball, such pleasant memories. My first anime, and therefore the one most dear to my heart. Goku's cute innocence, his unstoppable will to help others, and his indomitable determination were all extremely significant to the pre-teen me, though I couldn't stand a lot of the other characters. Bulma, Chi Chi, the pig (forget his name) and Krillen just irritated me, but Goku was the shining light. My absolute favorite "tournament" arc in any anime was the one Roshi and Goku fought in during the championship round.

5. Deathnote I'll admit it right now; I am a Light advocate. If the innocent could be protected from the guilty, and it was possible to weed out false accusations and extreme cases, I would have no problem delving through any law tomes to justify Light's actions, though I would come to the illogical justification of asking for justification for a government sanctioned capital punishment, which in turn would lead me to question the validity of government, which in turn would lead me to question the human condition, which would in turn would and did lead me to Shakespeare. That's right, Deathnote led me to Hamlet and Macbeth. Need I say more? Ok, how about an extraordinarily engaging duel between two genius', whose turbulence leads a path of innocents doomed (destined?) to death due to their relentless hunt for each other. I'll admit the show lost a bit of its luster once Light touched the Deathnote in the helicopter (my attempt at a masked spoiler), yet I continued nevertheless. One interesting, and particularly significant to me, aspect of the show was the idea of hubris, as ultimately it was hubris that dictated the actions of both protagonists, and ultimately both their fates.

6. Monster I'll say that I thought the connecting lines in this were extremely farfetched, yet considering the magnitude of the moral of the story, that is acceptable. Of course, as with any great piece of literature, the moral itself is ambiguous, possibly interpreted in lights completely opposite to each other. But what made this anime special was how atrocious the antagonist could be, and how nonetheless I would empathize, and secretly wish he would achieve his goals. I have always loved the Vegeta's, Boromir's and Macbeth's of the works I have watched/read, so the typical, goody two shoe's hero would probably go unappreciated by me. Still, Dr. Tenma was the exception. I exalted Goku, yet Goku, or Dragon Ball for that matter, was neither realistic nor feasible. Dr. Tenma was an example of a good human attempting to achieve a good cause, and never faltering from that path. Though as a young boy Goku might have been a model for stereotypical good, Tenma was the model for a young teenager, and a feasible one at that. His unrelenting determination to seek justice, when the entire world seemed to seek for anything but, was what kept me watching in spite of the various instances where I felt the anime stretched a bit too much. Also, without delving too much here, the detective caused me to travel the entire emotional spectrum. I went from abhorring his existence to setting him side by side with Tenma himself.

7. Code Geass: Lelough of the Rebellion Episodes 22-23. Enough said. Never have I come close to comparing the absolute desolution of King Lear to an anime, yet those episodes had me thinking. Lelouch wants revenge, and he is willing to use any means necessary to achieve it. I loved the character drawings, though they seemed a bit similar to Gundam Seed to me. Anyway, I really despised Lelouch's best friend, the pilot of Lancelot, and the hope that he might die at Lelouch's hands kept me watching until the end, when some of the middle episodes (most specifically that laugh of an arc relating to Mao) became bland. Unfortunately, for those who watched the end, I will have to continue watching until the next season, lol.

8. Dragon Ball Z What self respecting, suburban American kid didn't watch Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network? Comon, classics such as "power level over 9000?!!!" don't simply spawn from worthless works. Again, I loved that Goku, even when older, was the same shining beacon for good, yet, my sympathies changed when Vegeta's character was fleshed out. Vegeta became my favorite character, and to see him lose repeatedly to Goku was annoying in a satisfying sense, if that is possible. Also, episodes 222 (I believe it was this), the one where Vegeta hugs Trunks, was on par with the Code Geass' episode 22, but obviously for a different emotion. Whereas episode 22 in Code Geass caused sheer revulsion, episode 222 almost, and note I say almost because real men don't cry, brought a tear to my eye. Also, the alteration of Piccolo's character coupled with the surprise with Bulma and Vegeta were nice tidbits that ultimately affected the entire time line of the show, and anytime two of things that you were seriously hoping for occur and seriously affect a show's progress, you get happy. Very happy.

Ehhh, I can't think of many others that left the same impressions these did. I enjoy Naruto, Bleach, D. Gray Man, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rouroni Kenshin, Blood+ and Darker than Black, yet I only watch/watched them for amusement, and they remained that, amusement. I know Neon Genesis Evangelion is considered a classic, yet many of its subtle achievements are marred by the fact that I only watched it last month, which obviously affected my appreciation for it.

5 Most Disliked Anime

1. Flame of Recca God this was garbage. Pure, stereotypical garbage. The events occurred too quickly, and often without any explanation besides chance. Um, what would Recca have done if his "Hime" hadn't been right there at the end of episode 1? What I mean to say is, what if it had been another girl...Anyway, every damn fight besides 2, 2 out of freaking like 20, are the same. Good Guy gets in some trouble, digs deep, and wins. Nothing new, just the same, tournament style structure in everything. It got so bad that I sincerely was hoping for the woman who tries to finish everyone off to succeed.

2. Vision of Escaflowne Ehhh, this just did not stick with me. I didn't even finish it; I got to episode 20 and stopped. The whole "genes of luck" thing was just such a turn off, and I was just getting used to the main dragon rider too. I can see where this Neko phenomenon may have began, and I am disgusted all the same. Also, the emperor's story, especially his method of arriving on the planet, just annoyed me. Basically, everything, the main character notwithstanding, annoyed me about this.

3. Berserk Another fan favorite that I just did not appreciate. Again, it might be because I only started (and stopped) this at the beginning of this month, but everything seemed played out and stereotypical to me. Of course, I admit this will occur when you watch an old anime, but I just couldn't help shake the notion. Sure, it may have been the beginning of the stereotype, but I don't know that, and it certainly wasn't for me. Anyway, Guts/Gantz/Gudz, whatever the right romanization was, as my subs had all three lol, was a semi-interesting character for the 6 episodes that I watched. Of course, the fact that he was so easily and pathetically manipulated immediately turned me off, and what didn't help was how much of a bitch he was when it came to the black girl.

4. Zatch Bell *Shudders*

5. Sailor Moon *rolls eyes* Call me sexist, call me a pig, call me whatever, but a bunch of spoiled brats running around in school girl uniforms saving the world is akin to Floyd Mayweather's next opponent standing any chance against him. Spare me the bull, this thing annoyed me as much as Flames of Recca did.

There you have it.[/u]
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
Favourites

1. Twelve Kingdoms

This series is forty-five continuous episodes of amazing story, beautiful animation, superlative characters, and enthralling dialogue. I gave this series a Masterpiece rating right after watching it and even after rewatching it multiple times, reading the translated novel, and looking back upon my viewing of it, I still want to rate it higher. Fuyumi Ono created an expansive and detailed world that I have yet to see paralleled. The only possible way to improve upon this anime is to animate the unanimated novels along with the future novels to still be written. I can easily say this is not only the best anime I've ever seen but almost certainly the best t.v series/movie I've ever watched.

2. Eureka Seven

Having only recently (as in about a half hour of writing this post) finished this series I may be mildly biased in my rating of it but I don't want to undersell how amazing this show is. I originally dismissed it after seeing a few episodes on t.v which made me think it was some sort of weird clone of Gundam with surfing thrown in but I really couldn't have been more off. Aside from Twelve Kingdoms, this show has some of the most excellent characters I've ever seen. Ignoring the cliche of having a group of heroes that live like family, the way the expansive cast of characters interacts in this series builds the feeling that they actually are family rather than simply being told so. Everybody evolves throughout the story and even the ones that only get small amounts of screen time and dialogue are characterized with sub-plots and meaningful interaction with others. The romance between Eureka and Renton is also probably the most touching relationship I've seen, and that includes the ever growing list of shoujou I watch. The only other pairing that actually evoked such strong emotions in me was Yamato and Suzuka from Suzuka. Along with the masterfully created characters is an equally intricate story-line that both builds and thrives on the characters themselves. This show creates a near-perfect symbiosis between the story-line and the characters; not to mention the beautiful fight scenes and animation.

3. Monster

This one is a standby that any true anime fan will understand the constant love it gets from every angle. The animation, story, characters, music, everything is just perfect. There were times when watching this series that I was brought to the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next; just waiting for the next big plot twist to throw me for a loop. There were also times when I was just horrified at what was going on or had just been revealed. The show is capable of drawing out and dashing every emotion you could conceivably feel for a character. On the one hand, you'll be made to despise someone who will later do something so heroic you can't imagine ever hating them; or you'll find a character so absolutely puerile that you find yourself counting the episodes to their demise. Though the action scenes are fairly far between and never extend beyond almost completely realistic scenarios that simply adds to the tremendous impact the story carries. Anyone who has any interest in great story telling should absolutely not miss this series.

4. Suzuka

Yes, a shoujou managed to place higher on my list than heavy-hitters like Mushi-shi and FLCL. As much as amazing as Mushi-shi and FLCL are I cannot deny that romance gets me every time. That said, Suzuka is by and far my favourite romance anime. Not only is the relationship between Suzuka and Yamato both believable and touching, the show also has an excellent sports plots that runs alongside the romance. In many lesser anime juggling two plots at the same time (though they do frequently intertwine) results in a failed mess that is entirely unenjoyable. However, when it's pulled off as seamlessly as it is in Suzuka it makes for a story that is enjoyable for multiple reasons on multiple levels. My only gripe is that the anime doesn't give a true conclusion (in fact, it ends at the point where the two would be in a real relationship) and the manga won't be translated past the point where the anime ends until next year.

5. Mushi-shi

Mushi-shi has garnered a massive amount of attention with it's recent DVD release and anyone who paid attention to the hype knows how worthy it is. Episodic anime usually become somewhat tiresome for me if a plot doesn't develop but Mushi-shi is the exception that makes it a rule. The show might not have much connectivity but each episode is a contained story with a start, middle, and conclusion. Most of the episodes don't end with everyone skipping off into the sunset but they leave me satisfied and with the feeling that I just watched something very substantive and fulfilling.

Simply put, the animation in this show is breathtaking. It is easily the most gorgeous anime I've ever seen. Every frame of scenery leaves me wondering how it's even possible to create something that looks this amazing. Just watching Ginko scan the landscape makes me feel like I'm actually looking down from a mountaintop or across a forest. The music accompanying the scenery is also excellent. It's always gentle and rather quiet but it perfectly permeates everywhere it's placed.

Note: I'm going to add my other favourites later since I've working at this post for a while and it's getting late.

Most Hated

1. Full Metal Panic

I usually catch a lot of flak for hating this anime so I don't try and go out of my way to hate on it but, okay, twist my arm. I have absolutely no idea why so many people like this series. Everywhere I look I see people ranting about how funny it is and what a great hero Sagara is and I just want throw my computer out of the window every time they do. This show is an absolutely unredeemable piece of atrocious garbage that needs to be shot and cremated so that it won't come back to life. I can spend as much time hating this series as I can writing about my love for Twelve Kingdoms so I'll try and nail down the key areas.

Sagara is a shit character. There. I said it. He is a mindless, retarded, unfunny, asshole. He was funny enough at first but they ran his shtick dry after the 98th "accidental" boob grab and fake bomb scare, which was by the third episode. He's like Garfield; he only has one gag and everyone finds it so funny for no real reason. He's in the army, I GET IT! Putting someone into a situation where they're awkward is a standard in comedy but when you try and milk an entire series by having a stupid character's personality stay static for 26 episodes it goes beyond tiresome. Any time he seems like he might actually get some depth they just turn it into a f***ing boob grab or something equally played out and I just want to strangle whoever made him. It's unbelievable that they managed to take a cardboard cut-out that requires 2 and a half seconds to conceive, not change him at all for his entire existence, and have people like him.

Gauron is a shit villain. There. I said that as well. He's evil for absolutely no reason. It's not like he can even claim to be crazy or anything. He's clearly just a villain that is entirely devoid of a motive. I would've settled for a "This world is corrupt" excuse but they don't even give you something as bare bones as that. I swear, it's like the writers were just going for the biggest "F*** you" they could in terms of character creation. They left out anything important in all their characters and managed to pass it off successfully.

Can you describe FMP in less than 3 genres? I sure as hell can't (unless you can substitute expletives as genres in which case I can do it in 1). Even according to this site it's a: Comedy, Drama, Mecha, Military, Science Fiction, Shounen. It also has school life, action, slice of life, and romance aspects thrown in. I'll be the first to applaud a show for trying to stretch it's boundaries; one of the reasons I love Suzuka so much is that it managed to hold plots for two distinctly different genres. FMP however, manages to take a multitude of genres and fail at every single on of them.

At the risk of rambling I'll close with how great my dislike of the "story" is. The show has many things stacked against it in terms of being able to pull of a proper story; given that the characters are barely one-dimensional and the set-up is a mishmash of conflicting genres that were shoehorned into a single series. You've got to figure that if you failed at everything else you should be able to at least partly succeed at something though right? Not really. Full Metal Panic has a weak and convoluted story that barely holds itself together. It generally centres around "whispereds" but it never even actually explains what they are or really even why they're important (aside from giving the bad guys a stereotypical means to get more power).
CrazyIdiots

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quote
Looking at all these lists makes me want to contribute too Very Happy.
I just started watching anime again so my list probably won't be as good as everyones else.

Favorites

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
This anime has lots of mixed reactions, but I think this anime drew the line between what kids and adults were watching. Despite the religious references and constant angel attacks, this anime not only describes the character's personalities, but it also drew us into their minds and what they were thinking. This anime confused the s**t out of me when i was like 10, but watching it again made me understand what was going on in the series.

2. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
A classic that still lingers on my hard drive today Cool . A small-scale rebellion turning into universal chaos had many shocking twists and turns. An amazing story with 5 Gundam pilots facing war not only against OZ, but also against themselves and society outside their Mobile Suits.

3. Azumanga Daioh
Hilarious anime about 6 girls and their years in high school. Each with different and odd personalities, combining them will leave you laughing for hours. Even their teachers are crazy in all sorts of ways...

4. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
This anime would have probably sucked if Kyon wasn't narrating it. Although the fantasy (espers, time travel, aliens, etc...) stuff might sound a bit corny, the idea of keeping the unstable Haruhi entertained so she wouldn't mistakenly use her unknown godly powers kept me laughing. Starting out as Kyon noticing a cute chick behind him, he soon gets dragged into the most infamous club on campus and participates in all kinds of odd events. I just got done watching the series again (in chronological order) and I'm looking forward to season 2.

5. Nodame Cantabile
To think this was based off a manga made me go "wtf?!". What made this series different than others besides the characters and their personalities was that it is based off of music. The animation was superb with CG animation of people actually playing their parts and not looking like a motionless orchestra/soloist. Most of my friends who don't play music ended up not liking this series or ended up not understanding what was going on. This series is more defined by sound, with all kinds of titles from Bach and composers I never knew of. An interesting love story through music, it will also keep your eyes AND ears entertained.

6. Lucky Star (currently incomplete)
Similar to Azumanga Daioh, this anime is based off of 4 girls and their daily lives in high school. This anime is filled with lots of humor and a slice of life with all kinds of funny situations or debates that we can all agree or disagree with. It is also filled with many parodies and references from other animes (especially The Melancholy of Haruhi) and video games series if you actually bother to pay attention. Lucky Star also has a "mini-series" (Lucky Channel) at the end of each episode to waste time and keep you laughing along with a parody ending theme song for EACH episode. There's no way you can be bored watching this and every minute will keep you laughing.

Note: Ending song on episode 17 is my favorite by far. Very Happy

7. Death Note
A very thrilling psychological anime that kept my eyes hooked to the screens at every moment. With intense and clever battles going through Light and the antagonists minds makes this anime a masterpiece. With Light sending judgment and evading the feds at the same time while having his every movement monitored makes me wonder why the story writers of Death Note aren't part of some high ranked organization like the FBI/CIA.

8. Chobits
Ecchi to the extreme! Funny and awkward in many ways having a guy teach a girl persocom to live. With the main character as the pervert Hideki, he starts as a rural boy who moves in the city and faces all kinds of situations he hasn't faced before. When he finds an abandoned persocom with no data and brings her to his apartment, he has to teach her the basic fundamentals on living while keeping her away from his naughty magazines and his perverted personality. A funny story which soon turns into a relationship between Hideki and his persocom which leaves you laughing (and sometimes disappointed).

I can't add anymore until I start watching some more series, but I'll try to update once I'm done with a few more series. Now for my least Favorites...

Least favorite

1. Naruto/Naruto Shippuuden
Would've been a nice series if it wasn't so repetitive in flashbacks and jitsu animations. They seem to really drag out fights to like 3+ episodes long along with pointless and boring fillers which pisses me and possibly many others off. Character development is amazing for all characters EXCEPT Naruto himself! Naruto seems to always be an immature moron who wears one of the most visible colors and is equivalent to a traffic cone in the middle of the road waiting to get run over by a speeding driver.

2. Pokemon
It was good back in the 90's but I don't think anyone can name the 450+? pokemon they made now. This series has been going on way too long and its about time they should stop. Don't get me wrong, but their handheld adventures are fun to play. Very Happy

3. YuGiOh! Duel Monsters and Duel Monsters GX
It first started out as an interesting game and story with some strategy into it, but the constant "I barely won by like 200 life points" ruins the fact that this game HAS any strategy. YuGiOh the card game is fun to play with your friends, but seems like some new cards are seriously rigged and overpowered. Guess I'll stick to Magic...

4. Rizelmine
The story is similar to Final Approach (forced marriage by the government), but the story is about a 15 year old boy marrying a 12 year old experimental human. This series could've been good except that the ecchi references are WAY too dirty to the point where it could be hentai. Even the theme song lyrics are dirty and it looks like a kids series gone wrong...

5. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha series
I don't know why some people like this series but it doesn't appeal to me at all. First they hunt for seeds, then they try to stop a corrupted book, I don't even want to know what they're doing next. Their staffs/magical weapons are freaking robotic and act like slaves and fights are just as repetitive as Naruto. Another failed attempt to recreate Card Captor Sakura to me.

I plan to update once I'm done with more series and not busy with school.
Currently Finishing:
DN Angel, Nagasarete Airantou, Lucky Star, Kaze no Stigma, Naruto Shippuuden (Hoping the fights will get over with Anime hyper), and more if I have time...

Last edited by CrazyIdiots on Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 65 of 122