• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Gundam 0080

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
You can buy gundam dvds at big lots? Hell you can buy dvds at Big Lots?

I always saw previews for this on one of the old tapes I use to watch- and reading the review makes me want it even more.

i can't wait to pick this up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the article! I wish your column came out more often. I really enjoy the suggestions. Anime smile

PS: Does anyone out there know if the two separate DVDs or the combo pack is better? I can find both, but don't know if one has better extras than the other.
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
0080 is truly one of those hidden gems, too bad very few people outside of hardcore Gundam fandom appreciates its beauty.

Thanks for writing this so more people can appreciate something a Gundam series that's not Wing or SEED.

I purchased the combo pack myself "Complete Collection" from Bandai, and here's the extras:
Textless Opening, Textless ED1, Japanese Trailer COllection, Mobile Suit Encyclopedia, Music Videos "All that gundam" video clip, textless ending 2

As for Tomino, I think Tomino's at the top of his game when he did Turn A Gundam. The storytelling style is still distinctively Tomino, but this is one series where the warmth of the characters shone through. But that's off-topic.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
"Say Yes!" Double Vision is my favorite Bubblegum Crisis episode, too. Wink

I vaguely remember watching an episode or two of Gundam 0080 on Cartoon Network a number of years ago, but I've long since forgotten the details. It's a title I've considered looking into more in depth a number of times, but the "Gundam" label kind of scared me away. I'll be sure to buy a copy now, though. After Remi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
As for Tomino, I think Tomino's at the top of his game when he did Turn A Gundam. The storytelling style is still distinctively Tomino, but this is one series where the warmth of the characters shone through. But that's off-topic.

I've seen an episode or two of Turn-A, and it looks pretty good so far, so I'm hopeful. He may have a good show or two in him. OTOH, he's really pretty obnoxious in person (I've heard some stories...), and I'll never forgive him for wrecking one of Yoko Kanno's best musical scores with Brain Powerd. And for half a dozen other trainwrecks that wasted hours of my life.

Even though I think he's a hack, I certainly won't begrudge him an occasional winner. Even Rintaro has GE999.

Last edited by jsevakis on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Second_Ignition_Yui

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Haven't really read the article past the intro but

"In fact, I think very little of Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino. His storytelling style is muddled and distracted, depending almost entirely on expository dialogue. I get no sense of dramatic timing or emotional gravitas from his tales, but thanks to good timing and a formula that became successful years ago, he's one of a small handful of anime's naked emperors. However, not all Gundam is mediocre, or suffers under the burden its creator. And there's at least one that stands out as a true achievement."

I agree with this, but it doesn't bother me. In fact, I find it's part of what makes Gundam, Gundam. It works sometimes, and at other times it doesn't.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
and I'll never forgive him for wrecking one of Yoko Kanno's best musical scores with Brain Powerd.

Heh, I'm one of the suckers who went out and bought Brain Powerd thinking, "The soundtrack is so amazing, how could the show possibly suck?" Geh. What a mistake that was. I have the collection sitting in a sad, dark little corner on my shelf, and I still never bothered to finish it. I liked what I saw of Turn-A much better, but it wasn't amazingly directed or anything (and I still thought that Kanno's music felt a little out-of-place, since I'd been listening to the OSTs for years by the time I finally saw the series--nowhere near as bad as Brain Powerd though). I had a pretty lukewarm reaction.

Up next on my list of "potentially disappointing mecha series with amazing soundtracks": Sousei no Aquarion! Oh boy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CloakBass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
jsevakis:
Quote:
Even though I think he's a hack, I certainly won't begrudge him an occasional winner. Even Rintaro has GE999.

The only thing I hated from Rin Taro was that Final Fantasy OVA. (I'm ambivalent on Doomed Megalopolis, though.) As for Tomino, say what you want about him, but at least he doesn't have the audacity to call his mecha series the "End" and then reboot it a decade later.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
I completely agree with Justin about Tomino. He's good at creating concepts, but his directing ranges from mediocre to outright bad. His ego, more than anything, usually proves to be his greatest obstacle. I definitely agree that 0080 is one of the most outstanding Gundam productions. It is a franchise usually best kept away from its creator.

You did make one mistake, though. The protagonist's name is "Alfred", not "Alphonse". An understandable error. Smile
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
I remember this one.

Out of all of the Gundam stories, I would say that this is the most realistic and heartbreaking.

This is probably the best Gundam series that I've seen.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
You did make one mistake, though. The protagonist's name is "Alfred", not "Alphonse". An understandable error. Smile

Gah! Thanks for that. Fixed. Guess my old school mecha shows betray me. :p
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
jsevakis:
Quote:

Gah! Thanks for that. Fixed. Guess my old school mecha shows betray me. :p

Speaking of which, if you're still in touch with John, tell him I'm sorry I didn't get Patlabor sooner, but I didn't know CPM was going to get screwed by Sun Coast.
nkaze

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
W-General wrote:

I've seen an episode or two of Turn-A, and it looks pretty good so far, so I'm hopeful. He may have a good show or two in him. OTOH, he's really pretty obnoxious in person (I've heard some stories...), and I'll never forgive him for wrecking one of Yoko Kanno's best musical scores with Brain Powerd. And for half a dozen other trainwrecks that wasted hours of my life.

Turn-A is without doubt one of the strangest Gundam series out there. The mecha designs are bizarre, there's plot holes you can drive a mack truck through, and it takes at least twenty episodes before you can figure out what the heck is going on. That said, it's my all time favorite Gundam series, and is absolutely worth taking the time to watch from beginning to end.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
I too, am not a fan of Gundam. But you've convinced me to check this title out. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4